Booking Through Hurtigruten, or Travel Agent.

BORDER REIVER

We booked our forthcoming Northern Lights round trip through a travel agent that had staff present at an official Hurtigruten presentation. They claimed that they could usually undercut the brochure prices. We booked a few months later, but 8 months ahead of the cruise. We are happy enough with everything and getting excited about our journey, but we cannot help but wonder if booking through Hurtigruten at a later date might have been a good bit cheaper. We're new to Hurtigruten and thought that an early booking would not only get a discount, but would give us a choice of cabin.

We had no choice regarding the cabin, but are happy with the one we've got just forward of the passenger entrance.

Ever since we booked, we've had a constant stream of offers from Hurtigruten, (2nd passenger travels free, free excursion to North Cape, free on board spending etc) and we've been wondering if maybe on another occasion, we should wait until there are offers. Would that lessen our chances of cabin choice?

I'm also sure now that we could have save money by booking our own flights direct through KLM (our local airport isn't featured in the Hurtigruten brochure for flight inclusive packages).

We are still planning to visit Antarctica at some time in the not too distant future and I keep a close watch on pricing for travel there. It seems as though waiting for discounts is not the best thing to do, as the more popular expeditions seem to fill up rapidly. Is going for the early booking saving the best thing to do?

Hurtigruten now 'offer' fluid pricing: a few (one?) cabins at the 'from' price and the rest increasing in price as time goes on. Additionally, any price you, or your agent, is quoted on the phone is valid only until the phone is put down! Say you'll call back after thinking about it, and you may well find the price has gone up in the meantime. So, unless, there are a lot of cabins still available close to departure, it's best to book as soon as you are able. If you're considering Antarctica then booking as soon as the trips are announced is a good idea. Places won't be there for ever for this destination.

We use an agent who is excellent (I gave you her contact details by phone some months ago) and she is able to undercut Hurtigruten. We have also, always, been able to choose our cabin low down and midships: we don't pay to sway.

I have always booked our flights myself and have always shown a huge saving over the prices quoted by Hurtigruten. We usually find that those who booked through Hurtigruten are on the same flights as ourselves. We use some of the saving to pay for sightseeing, meals and hotel after flying out a couple of days early.

Hurtigruten now 'offer' fluid pricing: a few (one?) cabins at the 'from' price and the rest increasing in price as time goes on. Additionally, any price you, or your agent, is quoted on the phone is valid only until the phone is put down! Say you'll call back after thinking about it, and you may well find the price has gone up in the meantime. So, unless, there are a lot of cabins still available close to departure, it's best to book as soon as you are able. If you're considering Antarctica then booking as soon as the trips are announced is a good idea. Places won't be there for ever for this destination.

We use an agent who is excellent (I gave you her contact details by phone some months ago) and she is able to undercut Hurtigruten. We have also, always, been able to choose our cabin low down and midships: we don't pay to sway.

I have always booked our flights myself and have always shown a huge saving over the prices quoted by Hurtigruten. We usually find that those who booked through Hurtigruten are on the same flights as ourselves. We use some of the saving to pay for sightseeing, meals and hotel after flying out a couple of days early.

Thanks again digitl, that's cleared up a bit of confusion here. I still have your agents details and she will be our first point of contact when Antarctica is possible. The agent recommended to us by Hurtigruten is OK with booking etc, but isn't (in my opinion) strong on the Hurtigruten product. These forums and input from the members have been invaluable to us. Members blogs and photographs have been an inspiration.

We're thinking of booking our own flights in future, as you suggested. With neither of us having flown for many years, it all seemed a bit daunting, but we've since talked with a few airlines and I reckon it'll be easier than we thought.

Everything done now, just some waiting to do.

We found that a Hurtigruten 'with flights' package from our local uk airport was cheaper than booking them separately, but it just happened that the one date they offered was convenient as there was only one date for Bristol this winter. We go on Friday!

We found that a Hurtigruten 'with flights' package from our local uk airport was cheaper than booking them separately, but it just happened that the one date they offered was convenient as there was only one date for Bristol this winter. We go on Friday!

It would be interesting to know where you have got the prices for your flights from. Each time we have paid a little over 50% of what Hurtigruten ask.

We're thinking of booking our own flights in future, as you suggested. With neither of us having flown for many years, it all seemed a bit daunting, but we've since talked with a few airlines and I reckon it'll be easier than we thought.

Check prices and options on somewhere like

http://www.kayak.co.uk and then book whichever is the best price v convenience compromise. If you go to the booking site through http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digital?source=ps3 you may well earn a useful sum in cashback (if you've been to kayak first you should either clear cookies, or use a different browser for TCB, to ensure kayak don't get the cashback!).

It would be interesting to know where you have got the prices for your flights from. Each time we have paid a little over 50% of what Hurtigruten ask.

I have to say I didn't research too much for a couple of reasons -we live in Cornwall so flying from Bristol was good for us, and the alternative from Bristol was KLM with a stop in Amsterdam and expensive. I am sure that it would be much cheaper from London.

Also, now I think about it, we used a shed load of Tesco points so the whole trip is next to 'free' anyway, so booking the direct flights from Bristol with Hurtigruten (who now accept Tesco vouchers) was a no brainer.

I spent a bit time last night comparing costs (flights, taxis & hotel) for Hurtigruten, B.A. & KLM, to Buenos Aries. Hurtigruten's flight package is still almost double to price of the cheapest of those 3 - KLM. A saving of £1500 at least for the two of us.

To us, it was always the enormity of dealing with it ourselves, with not having flown for well over 10 years, but with a bit of research and good advice from people on here, we can see huge cost benefits.

I spent a bit time last night comparing costs (flights, taxis & hotel) for Hurtigruten, B.A. & KLM, to Buenos Aries. Hurtigruten's flight package is still almost double to price of the cheapest of those 3 - KLM. A saving of £1500 at least for the two of us.

To us, it was always the enormity of dealing with it ourselves, with not having flown for well over 10 years, but with a bit of research and good advice from people on here, we can see huge cost benefits.

The KLM (via Amsterdam?) is probably the one we have used. Good aircraft, good food, good crew and a sensible arrival time in Buenos Aires. While you're checking, have a look at Air France via Paris CDG. We have used their flights previously and are using them in six weeks time. Just as good, if not better than, KLM. The food and the alcohol (champagne pretty much before you're in the cruise!) are recommended.

Take care with BA. Check that it's not a code share with Iberia. You would want to give that a miss. Old(er), poorly specced aircraft, not the best of food or crew and a luggage black hole in Madrid.

Pre-book a taxi from EZE to your hotel online with Taxi Ezeiza (http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/ their kiosk is in the middle of the arrivals hall - avoid the touts) and, on the way back, leave plenty of time to get from your hotel to EZE: traffic can be horrendous!

Edited by digitl

I have to say I didn't research too much for a couple of reasons -we live in Cornwall so flying from Bristol was good for us, and the alternative from Bristol was KLM with a stop in Amsterdam and expensive. I am sure that it would be much cheaper from London.

Also, now I think about it, we used a shed load of Tesco points so the whole trip is next to 'free' anyway, so booking the direct flights from Bristol with Hurtigruten (who now accept Tesco vouchers) was a no brainer.

We fly from Leeds Bradford or Manchester and get excellent prices similar to those Border Reiver reports. If the whole trip is 'next to free' on Tesco vouchers, that's some serious shopping!

A saving of £1500 at least for the two of us.

That will more than pay for a couple or three nights pre-trip in Buenos Aires (Howard Johnson Boutique and Duque Hotel Boutique & Spa are both great), along with a tango show, a decent Argentinian steak and a guide to show you around. We used Pedro Werberg (http://www.amigodebuenosaires.com/about-us.htm) who is absolutely excellent.

You have my number if you want any more detailed help...

Edited by digitl

We fly from Leeds Bradford or Manchester and get excellent prices similar to those Border Reiver reports. If the whole trip is 'next to free' on Tesco vouchers, that's some serious shopping!

Well, it is two years worth of collecting points and the trip is actually costing us a total of about £500 in real money (without excursions). You get 3 times the face value if you swap them for holiday vouchers.