MV Astor soon for Fremantle

bazzaw

She will also be visiting Sydney on Feb 11th 2014 and will be sharing White Bay with Holland America's "Hampsterjam" which is what I incorrectly posted somewhere else saying would be the first time two cruise ships would be berthing at White Elephant Bay at the same time. The Sun Princess & Costa Romantically were both there last Thursday. I will read the Ports Cruise Ship Schedule more carefully in future :eek::eek:

Does anybody know why this Astor (and the small ship before it -- name escapes me) base themselves in Fremantle. Why not Brisbane ? (for example)

Barry

Athena?

I would guess there's enough ships from the East Coast and these small lines do ok out of Fremantle, cruising to Asia, Adelaide, Melbourne and Tas.

Edited by yatchet

Does anybody know why this Astor (and the small ship before it -- name escapes me) base themselves in Fremantle. Why not Brisbane ? (for example)

Barry

Over here - we don't have the big ships - not much cruising for us - so the little ships fill the gaps - we did the Funchal many years ago - 3 days to nowhere - and that's all we had - then the Athena came down and expanded their itinerary - and they went bust last year - so now comes the Astor. The Sun Princess came and played in our waters for awhile - and then that went away - hmmmmmm..................maybe all that come to Fremantle go to "doomsville" :eek:

As an add on - 3 - 4 day cruises here are a lot more expensive than over East with non of the luxuries of the big ships

Edited by dizzy1948

Barry

Probably because there is already enough cruise lines sailing from the eastern states! It's a pity we have to wait til 2015 to get some reasonable sized ships sailing from Freo on a regular basis.

Probably because there is already enough cruise lines sailing from the eastern states! It's a pity we have to wait til 2015 to get some reasonable sized ships sailing from Freo on a regular basis.

Here,here, I have been looking too - and 2015 looks like we could get lucky :D

• 1 month later...

Is anyone sailing on the Aster round Australia and looking to share a cab in sydney to get from the berth into town as there is no public transport.

Nearest is 3km and our understanding is you cannot buy a tricket on the bus.

Aphilla

Is anyone sailing on the Aster round Australia and looking to share a cab in sydney to get from the berth into town as there is no public transport.

Aphilla

if you have a roll call going for your cruise ask someone on there

Aphilla

I think you will find that once on board, the cruise line may arrange a shuttle that you can purchase .....or you can meet up with fellow passengers on the day for a taxi. The cabbies have got to know that there is no public transport , so once word gets out that a ships in town , there will be no shortage of taxis .

bazzaw Does anybody know why this Astor (and the small ship before it -- name escapes me) base themselves in Fremantle. Why not Brisbane ? (for example)

*Its closer to the Med were those older ships are based

*They are catering to the rich pickings of a ready market which the other lines have ignored

*Its closer to Alang Beach .. :eek: