Has anyone heard weird complaints from other passengers about things?

quiksilver23

We were getting ready to board the ship, standing in line in the port terminal. A lady in front of us started complaining about people smoking on their balcony.

I said to my wife,"Wait a minute! We are not even on the ship and someone is complaining about smoking already"

Some people would gripe if you hung them with a new rope!

Several years ago on a shore excursion in Norway, during a scenic stop overlooking the harbour, a woman pointed to the QM2 and said I wonder what ship that is. Ahhh, that's our ship.

Okay, but what was that woman complaining about?

I've heard numerous passengers on several cruises complain that they got tired of eating in the buffet all the time. They didn't realize that meals in the MDR were included.

I've heard numerous passengers on several cruises complain that they got tired of eating in the buffet all the time. They didn't realize that meals in the MDR were included.

As strange as it sounds, we've also had people complain about having to eat at the buffet or pay extra. They honestly didn't understand that the MDR was at no additional cost. Then when you told them, they would ask several times if we were sure. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

A gentlemen on one of our HAL cruises was complaining at the front desk that he and his wife hadn't gotten any dinner. Since it was embarkation day and we had just sailed out of port (and it wasn't dinner time yet) I'm sure the young lady at the desk was as confused as I was. Finally I realized that he was talking about a PREVIOUS cruise - not the one we we were on. Unfortunately I was called up to the desk so I didn't get to hear what she told him. I told DH later that considering the number of places to eat on a ship if you didn't get dinner it's your fault.

If it was after noon, it was after dinner for many people.

I don't use that term any more because of the confusion. Around here if someone says 'after dinner' I ask for clarification if they mean Lunch or Supper (no confusion on those terms). It's a regional thing as to when that meal is taken.

I don't use that term any more because of the confusion. Around here if someone says 'after dinner' I ask for clarification if they mean Lunch or Supper (no confusion on those terms). It's a regional thing as to when that meal is taken.

Normally, 'Dinner' is the largest meal of the day, and, in North America this is usually taken in the evening. In Europe, and the British Isles, the largest meal used to be at mid day, 'supper' being served in the evening, while in N.A. lunch is the mid day meal.

Just look at the menu's, and each meal should named with, along with the times served.

I regret to state that while cruising my wife of over 50 years, usually asks me, 'What's for supper to-night?':mad: However, I still love her.:D

john

Normally, 'Dinner' is the largest meal of the day, and, in North America this is usually taken in the evening. In Europe, and the British Isles, the largest meal used to be at mid day, 'supper' being served in the evening, while in N.A. lunch is the mid day meal.

Just look at the menu's, and each meal should named with, along with the times served.

I regret to state that while cruising my wife of over 50 years, usually asks me, 'What's for supper to-night?':mad: However, I still love her.:D

john

Specifically, "Dinner" refers to the most significant meal of the day, which can be the noon or evening meal. However, the term "dinner" can have many different meanings depending on the culture. Historically, it referred to the first meal of the day, eaten around noon, and is still occasionally used for a noontime meal if it is a large or main meal (like a "Thanksgiving", "Christmas" or "New Years" dinner). Now, the meaning as the evening meal, generally the largest of the day, is becoming standard in the English-speaking world.

Having grown up in a "breakfast-dinner-supper" household in a "breakfast-lunch-dinner" world use to cause me confusion when I was young. I still use the term "supper" myself, as now do my children - to the bane of DW.

We sat through a breakfast within earshot of an elderly couple from Lawn Guyland as they complained constantly about some problem with their breakfast. At dinner that evening we passed them on the way to our table and.......

they were STILL complaining about their problem with breakfast.

Some people would complain if they were hanged with a brand-new rope.

Oh, I get it... Long Island

Specifically,

Having grown up in a "breakfast-dinner-supper" household in a "breakfast-lunch-dinner" world use to cause me confusion when I was young. I still use the term "supper" myself, as now do my children - to the bane of DW.

My condolences to your wife, I know just what she is going through.:)

john

In a similar vein - why do Americans call the main course an entree? :confused:

Entree means starter surely?

Can be confusing.

Definition: The word "entree" can be confusing because it's one of those words that means the precise opposite in some parts of the world of what it means in other parts.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/Entree.htm

Sent from my iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

Can be confusing.

Definition: The word "entree" can be confusing because it's one of those words that means the precise opposite in some parts of the world of what it means in other parts.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/Entree.htm

Sent from my iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

Don't you just love the English language, especially when it 'adopts' foreign words. I'm married to an American and we had some 'linguistic confusions' in our early days!

Thanks for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talisker92 View Post

On the bus from the New Orleans airport to the Mississippi Queen (a paddlewheel steamer) a lady in front of us spots a Carnival ship docked and asked, "Is that our ship!"

Sounds like a first time cruiser to me

First timer or not, I wonder how this woman was able to find her way to NO by herself ? Who made her travel plans ? How could she be so unaware of the ship, so as not to know the difference between a 800' ocean liner cruise ship and a 380' paddlewheel riverboat ?

Than again they might have had a different sense of humor and knew full well it wasn't their ship but thought it would be ironically funny.

Eat more BACON

In a similar vein - why do Americans call the main course an entree? :confused:

Entree means starter surely?

Some one started that expression did no understand French is my guess. but why when so many of us have French ancestry who knows?

You need to remember, Americans also do not speak British English. We have our own little dialect that even varies from what part of the country we live. I remember as a teen visiting my aunt in Oklahoma and her telling my cousin to bring her a pop (carbonated soft drink) I thought she said pot! Lol! which was slang for Marijuana-lol!

In the southern US many of us say Coke, even if we are drinking, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, or even Pepsi-lol! Why do many southern Americans call soft drinks coke? Well Coke was created in Atlanta and that was the first soft drink ever. I guess you can compare it to calling a tissue Kleenex or flavored powdered fruit drink mix Koolaid, a gelatin dessert Jello,etc. etc.

Now here is one I always wondered, why do we call a certain vegetable squash and you call it marrow? Why do you say car boot and we say car trunk. Why do we say bus and you say coach? Perhaps because we speak a different dialect of English?

And don't Australians have words they use that is different for England and the US both?

Don't you just love the English language, especially when it 'adopts' foreign words. I'm married to an American and we had some 'linguistic confusions' in our early days!

Thanks for the link.

Lol! did you ever offer to "knock her up?" That expression means 2 very different things doesn't it. Of course since you are her husband, she would not be offended, as I would be if you said that to my daughter.

That is a hangover from the past from when many were farmers. Their mid day meal was their heavy meal as they needed it then since they did manual labor. Now that most work in offices we do not need a heavy mid day meal or even a heavy evening meal.

Dinner used the mean the term for your heavier meal of the day and depending on where you lived and how you made your living as to which you called what. Breakfast-dinner- supper or breakfast- lunch-dinner.

Actually I say lunch and supper, unless on cruise ship. Those terms applies to me also as I no longer eat any heavy meals. Since I do not do manual labor I do not need heavy meals.

Here was not a complaint but a person who was very rude. This was at breakfast a good many years back on Caribbean Princess. they were seating everybody in the middle of the dining room and not seating anyone by the windows. An older lady came in to eat and the waiter went to seat her with me and a couple of others. She said no she wanted a window seat. He explained that they were not opening that area of the dining room. She gave him a look of disgust and just took her self and plopped herself down by a window-a good 30 feet or more away from anyone else. He brought her a menu and served her there too. And there she said all by herself. Actually I think it was good she sat alone. I have a feeling she was nto a very nice woman and she would have been hard to tolerate.

Thanks for the link.

I have been married to a Canadian for over 50 years, and it seems almost once a week my wife will ask me to translate something that is on TV from GB, and, now and again I will use a word that she has never heard of. Strange thing is, she is a wiz at crossword puzzles.

john

Here was not a complaint but a person who was very rude. This was at breakfast a good many years back on Caribbean Princess. they were seating everybody in the middle of the dining room and not seating anyone by the windows. An older lady came in to eat and the waiter went to seat her with me and a couple of others. She said no she wanted a window seat. He explained that they were not opening that area of the dining room. She gave him a look of disgust and just took her self and plopped herself down by a window-a good 30 feet or more away from anyone else. He brought her a menu and served her there too. And there she said all by herself. Actually I think it was good she sat alone. I have a feeling she was nto a very nice woman and she would have been hard to tolerate.

I've asked to be seated by a window, while other areas of the MDR were being used. I asked politely and it wasn't a problem. I like to see the ocean while I'm on a cruise.

I suppose it depends on how politely you ask.

I've asked to be seated by a window, while other areas of the MDR were being used. I asked politely and it wasn't a problem. I like to see the ocean while I'm on a cruise.

I suppose it depends on how politely you ask.

She was not polite because he told her no and explained why they were not using that area and she went there anyway. He told her that they were doing something in that area later that morning, I guess I should have said so in my first post- perhaps a wine tasting there later? I do remember exactly what he said. I remember her reaction than what he said I guess, but he gave her a reason, not just no. I ate in there a couple of other mornings that cruise and the window area was open. This was in 2006 so good while ago.

I also like sitting by the window. That is the main reason why we usually book a balcony or better as I love looking at the ocean. Still I would never take the attitude that I paid for the cruise and I will have what I want and the crew person must pander to my wants because that is my "right".

She was rude and being older is no excuse in my book. I am certainly glad most older people do not act that way. Plenty of young people do but most older people have better manners.

We were waiting for the last couple to arrive for our table of eight. They finally showed up, took a look at us and the others and said, "You would think they would sit us suite passengers with better people."

They still sat down with us and no, she wasn't kidding. We had already asked for a table for two which we got the next night so I don't know how the rest of the people treated them for the rest of the cruise. The atmosphere was definitely chilly that first night.

We were waiting for the last couple to arrive for our table of eight. They finally showed up, took a look at us and the others and said, "You would think they would sit us suite passengers with better people."

They still sat down with us and no, she wasn't kidding. We had already asked for a table for two which we got the next night so I don't know how the rest of the people treated them for the rest of the cruise. The atmosphere was definitely chilly that first night.

Yikes. As my Southern grandmother would have said, "Well, bless her heart". :rolleyes: I can imagine the kinds of complaints that kind of person had for the rest of their cruise - must have been awful for them having to mix with all the "lower class" passengers.

Well I am normally happy go lucky on a vacation but all bets are off when it comes to my DW. I would have taken that as an insult to her. Me I would not care about but when it comes to her well... If I had of been at your table not sure how long they would have. I have worked in the industry in California rubbed elbows with politician have friends that are currently working for the government in DC but I am just an average working class stiff and if anyone things they are better than my DW well they can see just how trailer trash I can be.:mad:

So let's hope I don't have that experience :rolleyes::cool:

Eat more BACON