Posting new menus from the Glory.

geovet

I do not like chain restaurants in general (Like Red Dumpster or the Olive Pit) and they all serve Pre Frozen food. I also live in Florida the restaurants for the most part are not good at all and way over priced there are some decent steak houses here in the Tampa Sarasota areas but $$$. That is what I miss the most from cities like Detroit, Boston, New York, Dallas and so on they have some great food good mom and pop places and the quality is good or they close. Florida can get away with bland or frozen food to sell to the snow birds yuck. Carnival food is way better than what we get here.

This is also what I dislike about chain restaurants these days. Most are serving frozen "microwave-dinner-like" food. The sad thing is that years ago (like 20 years ago), many chains (TGI Fridays comes to mind) cooked all of their dishes from scratch and the food was very good.

The GM of a restaurant that I worked at about 6 years ago began his career at Fridays and often talked about the good ole days at Fridays when all the food was prepped in-house and cooked from scratch just like at his current place of employment.

To me, a lot of Carnival's food now tastes much like the "microwave-dinner-like" stuff that I dislike at chain restaurants. This was not always the case, however. Carnival's food seemed to enter a slow but steady nosedive (in my opinion) around 2009-2010 or so.

JH said on his FB page that while they are not on the menu, WCMC and shrimp cocktail can be requested each day. he also said a fruit plate could be requested. There will also be 1 sugar free dessert that will be available upon request. I am interested in what kind of pie they will have each day and if a table for 2 can have pie since they obviously won't need a whole pie.

Has anyone tried this? I think it's silly to have it but not put it on the menu. SO only people on CC or FB will know this?

I can NOT imagine being soooooo in love with a piece of fabric or a particular food of any kind so much that not having it available would affect the enjoyment of my evening - on land or at sea - at all.

Weird... jmo and ymmv

It's surprising to me how simple/dishonest people are when it comes to concerns others have. Would you go night after night to a restaurant that didn't meet your expectations? I would not typically go to a "nice" restaurant without table cloths. I use one at my own home every time I make a nice dinner so why wouldn't I expect that when I go out? Also, "can't imagine being so in love with a particular food of any kind so much that not having it available would affect the enjoyment of my evening" So you don't go to certain restaurants because you love specific dishes they serve? You just go out for dinner and don't care about the atmosphere or what they serve you. I'm calling the BS card on that one.

Sometimes a guy just needs his underwear. Cannot go commando! I prefer underwear just as much as I prefer a table cloth. Will I commit suicide without it, NO. But much prefer it.

I read one of the lines has eliminated the top sheet on the beds. Will it ruin my night? No, but sure do like the top sheet.

Would plastic forks and knives and paper napkins ruin my meal?? No, but I like real metal utensils. Could you live with the plastic? If not, aren't you the same.

Lets go Moroccan, eat with our fingers. It won't ruin my meal, but still like forks.

My wife complains because I refuse to use chop sticks. It doesn't ruin her meal, but she prefers chopsticks when eating Chinese or Japanese food.

Same goes for dress code. I don't really care how you dress, but if you sit at my table with an armpit of hair and deodorant film hanging out, it bothers me. I can still eat but it does lessen the experience.

We have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

Well said.

It's surprising to me how simple/dishonest people are when it comes to concerns others have. Would you go night after night to a restaurant that didn't meet your expectations? I would not typically go to a "nice" restaurant without table cloths. I use one at my own home every time I make a nice dinner so why wouldn't I expect that when I go out? Also, "can't imagine being so in love with a particular food of any kind so much that not having it available would affect the enjoyment of my evening" So you don't go to certain restaurants because you love specific dishes they serve? You just go out for dinner and don't care about the atmosphere or what they serve you. I'm calling the BS card on that one.

Simple/dishonest? Not so - not simple or dishonest, no BS either.

My statement was in reference to being on a cruise ship and the choices therein that are included in your cruise fare.

Your examples make no sense in the context of taking a cruise.

My criteria for dining out at home is a lot different than what I expect from a Carnival Cruise and I'm not saying that CCL is a letdown in the least.

It is what it is and whether or not anyone uses a tablecloth at home is a moot point.

Don't like the 'included in your fare' choices in the MDR? Go to the Steak House every night or, if available, another pay venue.

Maybe some should try that other budget, fairly priced cruise line that makes all of their food from scratch and to the specification of each individual passenger. :rolleyes:

If people were realistic, they would understand that the MDR can't be what every single person on the ship wants it to be.

The hand wringing over cold fruit soups, tablecloths, ordering multiple entrees, and certain desserts is unbelievable.

Edited by PresDuLac

A lot of people don't like change, and Carnival did a drastic change all at once.:D

Looking at the menus, I'm quite satisfied. We were actually looking at NCL or RCCL for vacation in 2014, because hubby was sick of the same menu that Carnival has had for years.

I've been wanting to go on the Breeze and hopefully the new menus will be onboard for Dec. 2014 . I'm so looking forward to try some new offerings, however, I saw some old entrees left on the new menu.:p And, for me, my favorite dessert is gone, bitter and blanc.:confused: That's a bummer.:mad: However, I'm sure I'll find something to enjoy.

I just came of the MSC Poesia. From the way everyone talked bad about MSC food, I told my coworkers, who I was traveling with, expect to lose weight.:eek:

I was stressing for nothing. The food was very good. We always found an appetizer, salad, pasta and then main course. Hubby would always order 2 entrees. On top of that, dessert. Lunch buffet was also very good. It just verified for me, that food is so subjective. And, the Poesia had the best pizza I've ever had at sea.

But, getting back to the subject, I think everyone is really stressing too much over it. No one is going to starve. And, hopefully, after Carnival read the feedback and do some modifying, the waiters will get their flow back and dinner will be more enjoyable for all.:D

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

Simple/dishonest? Not so - not simple or dishonest, no BS either.

My statement was in reference to being on a cruise ship and the choices therein that are included in your cruise fare.

Your examples make no sense in the context of taking a cruise.

My criteria for dining out at home is a lot different than what I expect from a Carnival Cruise and I'm not saying that CCL is a letdown in the least.

It is what it is and whether or not anyone uses a tablecloth at home is a moot point.

Don't like the 'included in your fare' choices in the MDR? Go to the Steak House every night or, if available, another pay venue.

Maybe some should try that other budget, fairly priced cruise line that makes all of their food from scratch and to the specification of each individual passenger. :rolleyes:

If people were realistic, they would understand that the MDR can't be what every single person on the ship wants it to be.

The hand wringing over cold fruit soups, tablecloths, ordering multiple entrees, and certain desserts is unbelievable.

As many others have pointed out, for some, and you claim this doesn't apply to you, dining is part of the cruising experience. The dining room atmosphere and food therefore are a big part of that for many. So, for those of us who are being open and honest, removing the atmosphere (yes, linens do contribute to the atmosphere) and introducing a menu that is less appealing, makes booking again with Carnival less appealing. When I booked many months ago, I believed I was getting the same experience I've had in the past with Carnival which has been excellent in terms of dining. My examples make perfect sense, you just don't like that I pointed out your flawed logic that everyone should just go on their cruise and who cares what they are served because it was inlcuded in your cruisefare. Hmm, sure:confused:

I've never had the bitter and blanc in all the cruises we have sailed but I know that it was a very popular dessert. In fact, I recall John Heald asking his readers what was their favorite dessert that Carnival served and the top desserts were bitter and blanc, WCMC and the creme brulee. I find it odd that the top desserts were taken off the menu. That doesn't make sense.

A couple of years ago we sailed on a Hawaii cruise where one of our friends made arrangements the first sea day to have a specific type of fruit plate served every day at breakfast in the dining room. Sure enough, they served that same fruit plate to several people in our breakfast party every morning. I can't remember exactly what all was requested but I remember blueberries were one of the fruits requested.

My husband is one of those that requests the Shrimp Cocktail for every evening and they always bring it to him. I think they will try an accommodate any requests that they can as long as you let them know in advance and it is something they have on the ship.

Sorry, but we watched as number of course were cut, as well as portion sizes, so much so that there was more plate than food, and they'd start covering that up but putting fancy food designs on the plate.

And yes, we countered by eventually ordering multiple courses, enlightening our table mates by doing so, where everyone would basically be doing it shortly into the cruise. It really is still basically word of mouth, being that very few cruisers even know about Cruise message boards.

Some laud his cheep Carnival cruising is, but cramming twice as many people onto the ships to the point of lunacy, all while cutting back on board experience, you truly get what you're paying.

Some laud his cheep Carnival cruising is, but cramming twice as many people onto the ships to the point of lunacy, all while cutting back on board experience, you truly get what you're paying.

I am sure glad you don't exagerate.....:eek:

CNBC had a short segment about the Cruise industry and mention Carnival exclusively. Key points were that there has been no real price increases the past ten years adjusted for inflation. Also, since Carnival is the industry leader with a 40% market share, they have the most capability to cut costs and spread them across al the brands.

The dining room changes are probably the latest way to cut costs. The bean counters know the net affect of these changes. They certainly were not done for the sake of it.

Changes are occurring across all cruise lines. Carnival seems to be the one that gets scorned the most. It still is a good product for the price. You want more, just pay more, simple.

Edited by Mulege