Help! Advice needed for Suite Upgrade

TracieABD

Hi-

I am traveling on the Spirit in January. We initially booked an SF suite (10012).

We were offered a complimentary upgrade to 10001, which is an SE. We accepted, as we did not lose our OBC and the room is about 100 sq.ft. larger.

Now I am looking at photos and reading reviews, and I am not sure if I did the right thing. It seems as if this suite does not have the half bath and has some type of heavy door to the balcony.

Does anyone have any experience or advice they could offer to me? There is another SF suite we could move back to, if needed

I do realize that these are definitely luxury problems, but I am trying to figure what I can!

Thank you so much for your advice!:)

Hi-

Now I am looking at photos and reading reviews, and I am not sure if I did the right thing. It seems as if this suite does not have the half bath and has some type of heavy door to the balcony.

I am unfamiliar with the half bath situation, but I can help with the heavy door business! We sailed on Star in one of those front facing, large balcony suites, and actually loved it! It is true that you need to keep your lights off at night or close the blackout drapes because the bridge is right above you and

reflections from below hinder their visibility.

We loved that large balcony. Some folks prefer the side location. It was fun "seeing what the captain sees."

During the day you can leave the storm door open and just use the regular door, unless, of course, there is a storm! If you do take that suite, one thing you will discover pretty quickly is that if you open the front door to the balcony and then open the door to the hall while sailing, it creates a wind tunnel and high hilarity will ensue! :D

I am unfamiliar with the half bath situation, but I can help with the heavy door business! We sailed on Star in one of those front facing, large balcony suites, and actually loved it! It is true that you need to keep your lights off at night or close the blackout drapes because the bridge is right above you and

reflections from below hinder their visibility.

We loved that large balcony. Some folks prefer the side location. It was fun "seeing what the captain sees."

During the day you can leave the storm door open and just use the regular door, unless, of course, there is a storm! If you do take that suite, one thing you will discover pretty quickly is that if you open the front door to the balcony and then open the door to the hall while sailing, it creates a wind tunnel and high hilarity will ensue! :D

valleyvillage, High Hilarity :) You are a master of understatement.

Hi-

I am traveling on the Spirit in January. We initially booked an SF suite (10012).

We were offered a complimentary upgrade to 10001, which is an SE. We accepted, as we did not lose our OBC and the room is about 100 sq.ft. larger.

Does anyone have any experience or advice they could offer to me? There is another SF suite we could move back to, if needed

I do realize that these are definitely luxury problems, but I am trying to figure what I can!

Thank you so much for your advice!:)

For what it's worth (it's the opinions are like....thing). We lean towards Aft (SF) in cooler climes and Fore (SE/Owner Suites) in warm. The forward balconies are the most amazing things :) Have fun and you'll not regret whatever decision you make.

Edited by CarlsDad

We were offered an upsell three years ago on the Jade from a BA to a penthouse (10502). The room was quite large and the balcony was huge--loved it!! The door was hard to open and we did have to keep the drapes closed at night, but that really wasn't a problem. We're sailing on the Jewel three week from today in a BC. I'm sure I'll miss the larger room and balcony, but I'm happy to be cruising again! Enjoy!

We'll take a forward facing suite any day, any time, any ship. The spacious balcony, expansive views, seeing where you're going instead of where you've been..it's all good.

As noted above, the steel storm door is not used unless there is a storm. One one of our cruises, though, I did end up closing it one or two nights, as there was just the right combination of wind direction and ships speed to cause wind to whistle through the inner door...enough to keep us awake. Closing the steel storm door (be careful if you do it..it's heavy) solved the problem.

We'll take a forward facing suite any day, any time, any ship. The spacious balcony, expansive views, seeing where you're going instead of where you've been..it's all good.

As noted above, the steel storm door is not used unless there is a storm. One one of our cruises, though, I did end up closing it one or two nights, as there was just the right combination of wind direction and ships speed to cause wind to whistle through the inner door...enough to keep us awake. Closing the steel storm door (be careful if you do it..it's heavy) solved the problem.

More fabulous tips!

When you were on the Spirit, did your cabin have one bath or two?

Thanks!

Edited by TracieABD

Having done the forward balcony penthouse (SE) and aft penthouse (SF), it comes down to a question of whether you to to see where you are going but have to turn out the lights at night on a big balcony (forward) OR you have privacy out on the smaller balcony (aft).

If you are leaning toward the forward balcony, remember, you have NO real privacy, so I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon or honeymoon redux if you catch my drift. The bridge can look down on the forward balconies. We have another aft penthouse booked for early next year on deck nine, chosen for privacy and less noise.

If you like to tan au natural or get "adventurous", a forward balcony is going to cramp your style. I asked my travel agent how many aft deck lounges had to be replaced, i.e. broken, and she turned her head with a wicked smile and started laughing. I wonder if my butler could arrange for at least one heavy duty lounge that could handle the added weight. That would insure them a VERY generous tip.

Edited by H&J
typo

The forward facing balcony we had on Norwegian Dawn remains to this day, our favorite balcony. LOVED the feeling that we were seeing the same thing the captain was seeing. As for keeping the curtains closed at night... No big deal. If it's dark outside and your lights are on inside, the window becomes a mirror. You can't see outside anyway. I can vouch for the front door/ balcony door open at the same time phenomenon...it exists.

Having done the forward balcony penthouse (SE) and aft penthouse (SF), it comes down to a question of whether you to to see where you are going but have to turn out the lights at night on a big balcony (forward) OR you have privacy out on the smaller balcony (aft).

If you are leaning toward the forward balcony, remember, you have NO real privacy, so I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon or honeymoon redux if you catch my drift. The bridge can look down on the forward balconies. We have another aft penthouse booked for early next year on deck nine, chosen for privacy and less noise.

If you like to tan au natural or get "adventurous", a forward balcony is going to cramp your style. I asked my travel agent how many aft deck lounges had to be replaced, i.e. broken, and she turned her head with a wicked smile and started laughing. I wonder if my butler could arrange for at least one heavy duty lounge that could handle the added weight. That would insure them a VERY generous tip.

Oh my!:o For the love of humanity...

I am traveling with my mother. Neither of us is inclined to suntan, let alone au natural.

Thanks for the information, though. I will tuck it way for future reference.:)

Can't wait for high hilarity on the "Dawn" at the end of May. We booked SE 10000. Saw a similar (SE 10000) on a "Gem" cabin crawl last June. Wow what a nice size room, bigger balcony. A awesome view.

I liked it a little better than the aft SE's due to the larger balcony and larger room due to the angles window bump. Don't know how similar it is on the "Spirit".

I can't imagine it wont be a great up grade.

Jon