New Pinnacle Menu

frankc98376

Amazing what a $500 a day cruise line offers compared to a $100 a day cruise line. Sounds lovely. :cool: Happily, I shall report about this new Pinnacle offering in just a few more days.

Not that big a disparity in cost if you compare like similar cabin categories and factor in what you pay extra for on HAL such as tips, drinks, specialty dining, etc.

Not that big a disparity in cost if you compare like similar cabin categories and factor in what you pay extra for on HAL such as tips, drinks, specialty dining, etc.

Right you are. I see there is an 11 day Seabourn suite being advertised right now for $2,499 which leaves in two days. Love it when some of these specialty class ships can get down to HAL prices every once in a while. They do become great bargains for the extra amenities they offer and let people explore the differences between brands.

Our second Crystal trip did exactly that when so many passengers were canceling due to the crime wave in Mexico and Crystal Symphony still had to get from point to point including the Sea of Cortez as scheduled - it was a good itinerary well under their normal occupancy, and a bargain that was too good to pass up compared to the normal Crystal prices.

Amazing what a $500 a day cruise line offers compared to a $100 a day cruise line. Sounds lovely. :cool: Happily, I shall report about this new Pinnacle offering in just a few more days.

Many HAL cruises are $500+ per day for Neptune Suites.

Many HAL cruises are $500+ per day for Neptune Suites.

Which means a few of the HAL cabins are paying $500 a day; not all of them by a long shot like Seabourn passengers which would most likely curtail having caviar brought to your table in the aft deck bar. And who knows if the Neptune concierge couldn't rustle up some caviar if requested. :cool:

I don't mind caviar but I sure hate escargot! I do love the Caesar salad made tableside. It's way better than the MDR stuff.

Caesar salad made for the dining room and the Lido is made in huge batches and way before it is served.

That is why we never touch it in the Lido or order it in the main dining room.

I also love the escargots in the MDR. Last cruise I actually had 2 orders and a Caesar salad and dinner was done.

The Caesar salad in the MDR can't be made ahead of time, because it would be limp and soggy. We were on the Ryndam Nov17-Dec8, and can say that the salad was very crisp each time I had it.

The caviar will be an extra charge. Caesar salad will not longer be made table side, actually all carts will be removed. Lobster Mac and cheese, and Steak Diane will be removed from the menu

Glad I tried Steak Diane for the 1st time on our most recent cruise! :eek:

I could have sworn I posted here last night - must not have hit the "submit" button. Anyways, my opinion is that caviar is pretentious and yukky, and no more than fish eggs on toast. It used to be commonly served at functions where I lived in the UK years ago and I avoided it every time.:(

LOL...I have to agree! I've never tried it nor do I plan to do so. If it's been served as a garnish, I push it aside.

LOL...I have to agree! I've never tried it nor do I plan to do so. If it's been served as a garnish, I push it aside.

I understand not liking it, but why would you never even try it? It's pretty yummy when used properly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Crystal brags they serve caviar every night if this is what the passenger wants. But it was a lousy brand (mushy, sticky, over-processed, one-note taste), so one night was more than enough. Hope HAL offers something better than just the novelty of having "caviar".

I recall a thread from earlier this year on the Crystal board about them discontinuing the "always available" caviar. I think they now serve it (paddle fish) a couple of times gratis per cruise, but they also introduced a "premium" caviar menu -- at a cost.

Personally, I'd rathey pay for good caviar than get okay caviar free.

P.S. Not sure why it's necessary to comment that caviar is pretentious. It's a food choice, and if you don't like it fine. But there are those of us who really enjoy the not-so-common opportunity to indulge in things like caviar, foie gras, and other unusual (and to me, delicious) food choices.

I recall a thread from earlier this year on the Crystal board about them discontinuing the "always available" caviar. I think they now serve it (paddle fish) a couple of times gratis per cruise, but they also introduced a "premium" caviar menu -- at a cost.

Personally, I'd rathey pay for good caviar than get okay caviar free.

P.S. Not sure why it's necessary to comment that caviar is pretentious. It's a food choice, and if you don't like it fine. But there are those of us who really enjoy the not-so-common opportunity to indulge in things like caviar, foie gras, and other unusual (and to me, delicious) food choices.

Yes, I apologise for that, cruisemom - it was an immature reaction. I still hate it, though!

One thing we will miss is having the Caesar salad made tableside.

Having it made tableside I was able to tell the waiter how much dressing I wanted, etc. Also DH could get his anchovies whole on top of the salad.

We are not fans of the Caesar salad made for the Lido or the dining room as it is made in large batches and sits around and gets wilted. And you can bet that since it won't be made table side, the Pinnacle will also make a large batch for each evening.

Same thing with the Arugula Salad.

It might not be a perfect solution, but try this:

"May I please have the caesar salad, dressing on the side, and we would like a few whole anchovy filets on the salad as well please. Thank you"

It might not be a perfect solution, but try this:

"May I please have the caesar salad, dressing on the side, and we would like a few whole anchovy filets on the salad as well please. Thank you"

We already figured that we would try that idea and see what happens. We do that at our restaurants at home.

One thing we will miss is having the Caesar salad made tableside.

Having it made tableside I was able to tell the waiter how much dressing I wanted, etc. Also DH could get his anchovies whole on top of the salad.

We are not fans of the Caesar salad made for the Lido or the dining room as it is made in large batches and sits around and gets wilted. And you can bet that since it won't be made table side, the Pinnacle will also make a large batch for each evening.

Same thing with the Arugula Salad.

I agree with you on the Caesar's Salad! I kind of wish they would leave well enough alone.

I know Himself.

Right now people are reporting that they can see their waiter making the Caesar Salad off on a sideboard. But in time I imagine that it will be made in the kitchen. Maybe even be from pre-prepped bowls from the main dining room. JMO

I remember when Lobster tails were ordered specifically for the Pinnacle -- larger ones than what you got in the main dining room. Now the Pinnacle serves the same size ones that come from the main dining room kitchen galley.

I asked my TA and this is what he sent me. You can see that caviar is added for additional cost and that several dishes are missing (i.e. Steak Diane) but some new ones are added.

THE BEGINNING

TOMATO BROTH WITH SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN

with flavors of kaffir lime and cilantro

LOBSTER BISQUE

crème fraîche and aged cognac

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

BEEFSTEAK TOMATO AND BASIL

sliced red onion, pesto, extra virgin

olive oil and balsamic reduction

* STEAK TARTARE

seasoned finely-chopped Double R Ranch beef

accompanied with parsley, cornichon, capers and red onion

JUMBO-LUMP CRAB CAKES

sweet chili-mustard sauce

* OSCIETRA MALOSSOL CAVIAR $45

served on ice with crème fraîche and buckwheat blini

THE GRILL

DOUBLE R RANCH STEAKS

served with your choice of hand-crafted sauce:

sun-dried tomato ° master chef ’s green peppercorn ° béarnaise ° horseradish-mustard ° hollandaise ° maitre d’ garlic butter

* 7OZ. PETITE FILET MIGNON

* 10 OZ. FILET MIGNON

* 23 OZ. PORTERHOUSE

* 12 OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

* 18 OZ. BONE-IN RIB EYE STEAK

* GRILLED COLORADO LAMB CHOPS

spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce

* DOUBLE-CUT KUROBUTA PORK CHOP

marinated in rosemary, garlic and pepper vinegar with scallions

ROASTED JIDORI CHICKEN WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS

cider vinegar jus, forbiden rice cake with quinoa and apricot, mâche salad and toasted pistachio nuts

SEAFOOD

* BROILED ALASKAN KING SALMON

with lemon garlic herb splash

KING CRAB LEGS $20

your choice steamed or broiled served with drawn butter

* CEDAR PLANKED PACIFIC HALIBUT WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

roasted garlic and cilantro butter

WEST COAST STYLE SEAFOOD CIOPPINO

tomato braised clams, mussels, shrimp, Alaskan crab and halibut

THE VEGETARIAN INTRIGUE

BAKED-STUFFED EGGPLANT

ragoût of zucchini, onion, eggplant and tomato on creamy polenta

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLI

in pesto cream sauce

ROASTED PUMPKIN RISOTTO

mascarpone cheese and Swiss chard

SHAREABLE SIDES

wilted spinach - sautéed mushrooms - baby carrots - grilled asparagus

Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and pancetta - classic whipped potatoes - shoestring fries with truffle aïoli

INDIVIDUAL SIDE

jumbo baked Idaho potato

Holland America Line only serves sustainable seafood

THE FINALE

NOT-SO-CLASSIC BAKED ALASKA

Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream with Bing cherries jubilee

WARM GRAND MARNIER CHOCOLATE VOLCANO CAKE

the ultimate chocolate experience

PINNACLE SOUFFLÉ

vanilla soufflé with base of mixed berry compote and finished with molten Drambuie cream truffle

LEMON-BRÛLÉE TART

blueberry whipped cream

CREAMY HOMEMADE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE

served with fresh berries

FRESH BERRIES

with a Sabayon sauce

PREMIUM ICE CREAM AND SORBET

DAILY CHEESE PLATE