Who will miss Acapella Quartet

Blue Skies

I did not enjoy the a capella group on my recent Silhouette cruise... just not my cup of tea. Could be a generational thing, we're in my late 20s and it just didn't appeal to us. Their audience did skew older from what I saw. We did love the DJ / drummer combination they had on board in Quasar and thought it was a shame that so few people were there to enjoy them on our (Eastern Med) cruise. I suspect they have more of a constituency on the Caribbean sailings... That was something unique I haven't seen on other lines and hope Celebrity sticks with the concept.

I do laugh when people on here scoff about Celebrity trying to appeal to a younger crowd as part of the younger crowd myself LOL... as if that's such a terrible thing. Ideally Celebrity will include some entertainment options on their ship that appeal to every foreseeable demographic sailing with them. The new Sin City Comedy program was an outstanding addition, IMHO, that seemed to appeal to everyone.

Edited by Dave85

Is Celebrity phasing out Acapella because they think it does not appeal to the younger generation?

I'm one of the younger generation and I appreciate quality singing, in the UK right now the Puppinni sisters are really big with the 20/30 somethings. They are like the modern day Andrews sisters. So maybe X just needs to funk em up a bit!

Hey, here's an idea: a Silent Disco! Then youngsters can listen to their Gangsta rap, baby boomers can air guitar to Dad Rock, and us Abba lovers can dance to our hearts content.

Please can someone name artists or post youtube videos indicating what people think rap and techno is?

My experience of rap is this:

And this is my idea of techno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqSYgmQtxwA

Is this REALLY what X is playing on its fleet?! :confused: Sure, it's good music, but not what I want to hear on an elegant cruise!

Edited by kfowinst

Is Celebrity phasing out Acapella because they think it does not appeal to the younger generation?

I honestly doubt thats the reason (even though it doesn't appeal to me personally), although some have endorsed that theory on this thread. I think the real reason is it just didn't prove to be popular / successful enough to sustain judging by whatever metric Celebrity uses to measure such things (bar sales? comment cards?).

Edited by Dave85

IN their 20's and 30's or FROM the 20's and 30's?

:D

I can't remember an acapella group at The Ohio State University when I went, though I'm sure there was one.

Hehe, I was thinking the same. I imagined they were to cater more for the older group.

As said before, as long as they appeal to many that's fine, although they're not my taste.

Hmm, maybe it was just my college that it was popular then. And my grad school. Seriously, had no idea that it wasn't that popular everywhere. At my undergrad a cappella concerts were some of the most attended events, with girls swooning over all the soloists. When I first heard the group on Celebrity, it immediately reminded me of college. As did the buffet. And how much people were interested in meeting other people. It's like orientation week in college.

IN their 20's and 30's or FROM the 20's and 30's?

:D

I can't remember an acapella group at The Ohio State University when I went, though I'm sure there was one.

The Whiffenpoofs were founded in 1909 so it could both in and from the 20s. And they are still going strong ;)

http://www.whiffenpoofs.com/about/

College a Capella groups may have gone in and out of favor over the generations but they are popular on many college campuses now, with both male and female groups. I attend a Capella concerts for college and professional level (like Straight No Chaser) and will miss them on the ship. All of my previous Celebrity cruises had a cappella groups and wherever they performed, they drew a large crowd. I would miss them if Celebrity has made a decision to drop them and other individual entertainment.

Edited by Janet987

The Whiffenpoofs were founded in 1909 so it could both in and from the 20s. And they are still going strong ;)

http://www.whiffenpoofs.com/about/

College a Capella groups may have gone in and out of favor over the generations but they are popular on many college campuses now, with both male and female groups. I attend a Capella concerts for college and professional level (like Straight No Chaser) and will miss them on the ship.

Thanks, just looked Straight No Chaser up and this is great:

I thought because of all the singing shows on TV in the past ten years like American Idol, Glee, and the like, being able to sing is a pretty desirable skill. I feel like ten years before that, it was playing a guitar. And of course that's still popular. But yeah, I've always associated a cappella with college.

I like it when cruise lines try to appeal to people of all ages. I mean, people say that if you're young you would only like Carnival, NCL, and RCI. But what if you're young and you like good food, wine, relaxing, no loud music, and you're not into partying? But you also don't get excited about certain eras of music? I appreciate that on Celebrity ships, the music is not just 70's and 80's music, which targets a very specific (though very common for cruising) demographic. I do feel like they have a little something for everyone, from the musicals, the piano player, the a cappella, the guitar player, the strings, the band, and all that jazz. Nothing is too over-represented, which is what I think they mean by appealing to people of all ages.

Now that video is a blast from the past! Videos with the current members can be found here:

http://www.sncmusic.com/video/straight-no-chaser-prayer-live-songs-decades

I do feel like they have a little something for everyone, from the musicals, the piano player, the a cappella, the guitar player, the strings, the band, and all that jazz. Nothing is too over-represented, which is what I think they mean by appealing to people of all ages.
Agree, and hope it doesn't change.

We sorely missed seeing an "Acapella " group on our last Eclipse cruise in November that I enquired and learnt that they have been stopped fleet wide.

If you know who Frankie Valli and Brian Wilson are, you will probably miss the Acapella groups. If you ask" Who the heck are they?", then you probably say "I hate acapella". :D

We have always enjoyed the a capella groups. Rap doesn't doesn't appeal at all. May be time to find another cruise line. I really don't like a lot of what I'm reading here. Most of the appeal of X is that it was aimed at our demographic. It was one of the last of the mass mkt lines that did.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Reading about people attending the main dining room in shorts and not much enforcement of a reasonable dress code and now getting rid of any semblance of class as it relates to entertainment-Celebrity how low can you go? Rap really? You have to be kidding. Celebrity has to distinquish itself from the other mass marketeers and large ships and dummying down on entertainment will not cut it. All their ships should have a regular piano guy and string quartets do add some class to the environment. As for the Capellas I enjoyed them on the main stage for their 20 min. shows. Also this type of entertainment is needed on longer cruises and they attract a more sophisticated and well traveled group of people. Not many young people have the money nor the time to take a cruise for two weeks plus travel time. So Celebrity what will you do for your most loyal,affluent to a degree and well traveled loyalty cruisers? Give us a break and forget the rap and crap.

How was the live music on the Reflection ?

I don't even remember the name of the "party band" but I thought they were THE BEST of the four I have experienced on Celebrity.

Judging from the response of most other guests in the Atrium every night, I think they might agree.

Even though the DECOR is NICER than other S Class, the gutting of Sky Lounge to make room for suites was TERRIBLE. It is now being used as a "Quasar" at night. No live music, DJ only, way too small a dance floor, and WHAT A SURPRISE...VERY small crowds. (10-30)

Because of that, Flex will be my LAST place "ship of choice" for future Celebrity cruises.

How was it for you and Patti on Equinox? THAT ship is my next goal.

How'd you guys get along at the sunset bar without "the gang?!" :p

If you know who Frankie Valli and Brian Wilson are, you will probably miss the Acapella groups. If you ask" Who the heck are they?", then you probably say "I hate acapella". :D

I know who they are and I still don't like a capella groups. I like people singing without musical accompaniment, such as choirs or soloists. I just don't like a capella, especially the all-male quartets.

I'm one of the younger generation and I appreciate quality singing, in the UK right now the Puppinni sisters are really big with the 20/30 somethings. They are like the modern day Andrews sisters. So maybe X just needs to funk em up a bit!

Hey, here's an idea: a Silent Disco! Then youngsters can listen to their Gangsta rap, baby boomers can air guitar to Dad Rock, and us Abba lovers can dance to our hearts content.

They're obviously not paying attention to the ratings of The Sing-Off then. Nor are they paying attention to ages of those performing on the show. (Most of the groups are in their 30's or younger.)

The show is the highest rated show for its time slot for those between 18-49....

So, yeah, I think there are a few people in the younger generation out there who enjoy Acapella. :)

I loved the acapella groups. My favorite one is Sustained, the first one I heard on a cruise in '05. The others were good, too. I love harmony, having sung alto in HS, college and church choirs since sophomore year in HS, fall of '59. I definitely would flee any rap group--UUGGHH! Celebrity's main age group is not composed of people who would enjoy rap. Why would they want to alienate us?

I definitely know who Frankie Valli (Loved Jersey Boys) and Brian Wilson are. In fact, I saw Brian Wilson in concert last summer at a Beachboys tribute at an outdoor venue here on July 25th. He sang with one other original Beachboy (can't remember his name), Al Jardine and a group of others-- a really good band and back-up singers. It was stupendous and I didn't want to leave when it was over.

I have a visceral reaction to the music of "my day". Recently, the PBS stations (Dayton, Oxford and Cincy) had their fund raisers and between the pleas for membership, which included CDs and DVDs of the show, they showed tapes of a concert featuring Pat Boone, the McGuire sisters and many others singing their big hits. I had seen this show a couple of years ago and was thrilled to see it again. I loved the McGuire Sisters, not only because they were great singers, but because they were also local celebs. They were from Miamisburg, a south suburb of Dayton. I had a lump in my throat through every segment of the "oldies".

There was an A Capella group on our Summit sailing. If they happened to show up to sing while you were in that particular venue then you heard them. Nobody was lining up to get a seat to listen. I can appreciate A Capella at a High School concert as it is part of musical education by I'm not going to search for it on a cruise ship. I also don't think we will be listing to the live renditions of Grandmaster Flash, Fifty Cent, Puff Daddy or Kanye West on a Celebrity ship anytime soon.

I remember the days when there was a harpist or strings in the speciality restaurants on the M class ships every night and at the top of the stairs in the main restaurant on formal nights, also a thing of the past

Interestingly enough they had a string quartet on the IOS in the MDR in October. We were really surprised and loved it - especially on forma night.

Re the Acapella group - hated it. They were so out of tune some days that it was painful. Won't miss that one.

Edited by Presto2