Question - taking wine onboard (20 y.o.)

TrinaLC

I understand there is 1 bottle/wine per passenger.

I am travelling with my 20 y.o. daughter.

Is it realistic to pack 2 bottles of wine (carry-on)? I don't ever recall the folks doing security check "carding" anyone.

For those who don't like the question, feel free to move on. And not that it should matter to anyone but me, she won't be drinking that extra bottle.

i understand there is 1 bottle/wine per passenger.

I am travelling with my 20 y.o. Daughter.

Is it realistic to pack 2 bottles of wine (carry-on)? I don't ever recall the folks doing security check "carding" anyone.

For those who don't like the question, feel free to move on. And not that it should matter to anyone but me, she won't be drinking that extra bottle.

hi---you can take one bottle of wine----per adult and i mean adult--over 21----or they will take it from you---and return it at the end of the cruise---carry it in your carry-on bag---security--will check-----this is from---irene and john---58 cruises on carnival---

Why is it ok to break the law?

What law is being broken? The OP was pretty clear that the wine was not for underage consumption. Even if it was for her daughter in most (if not all) states of the U.S. parents can give their children alcohol. That aside - they will be in international waters for much of the cruise and most of the ports of call have a drinking age of 18.

So again, what law is being broken?

On our Liberty cruise last January, they were carefully checking each bottle of wine and comparing the total number of bottles (12) to the number of passengers in our party (6). We were all over 21, but they asked for ID from my 22 y.o. niece and 30 y.o. daughter. It was Carnival security people doing the checking.

It's not a law, it's a policy.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

In the state of Florida, until she steps on the ship, the bottle will belong to her. The policy is one bottle per person, of legal age, because it is illegal to be in possion in many different states. She can't say it belongs to her daughter.

However, the proper way, is to try to smuggle it like everyone else and claim it simply as I was trying to bring more than allowed. No laws broken, and a visit to the naughty room. Why change something that is simply being sneaky into possibly something illegal?

Why does it mattar also what age. Someone with a 5 year old, could say the same thing, and be denied boarding in a "long shot" for child endangerment.

This is simply just trying to justify something to smuggle additional booze on board. (only on a Carnival Board to you ever see this!)

On our Liberty cruise last January, they were carefully checking each bottle of wine and comparing the total number of bottles (12) to the number of passengers in our party (6). We were all over 21, but they asked for ID from my 22 y.o. niece and 30 y.o. daughter. It was Carnival security people doing the checking.

We have seen many different levels of "checking" as you put it in different embarkation ports. The one that comes to mind as the most conservative (more examination then others) is Galveston (both getting on and getting off).

In the state of Florida, until she steps on the ship, the bottle will belong to her. The policy is one bottle per person, of legal age, because it is illegal to be in possion in many different states. She can't say it belongs to her daughter.

However, the proper way, is to try to smuggle it like everyone else and claim it simply as I was trying to bring more than allowed. No laws broken, and a visit to the naughty room. Why change something that is simply being sneaky into possibly something illegal?

Why does it mattar also what age. Someone with a 5 year old, could say the same thing, and be denied boarding in a "long shot" for child endangerment.

This is simply just trying to justify something to smuggle additional booze on board. (only on a Carnival Board to you ever see this!)

The state of Florida has nothing to do with it, the law does not say it belongs to her. What law do you think is being broken ? If the adult carries both bottles there is NO laws being broken. You just hope they don't ask for the other persons age, as far as a 5 yr old, let's don't exaggerate.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

The state of Florida has nothing to do with it, the law does not say it belongs to her. What law do you think is being broken ? If the adult carries both bottles there is NO laws being broken. You just hope they don't ask for the other persons age, as far as a 5 yr old, let's don't exaggerate.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

The law is Florida statue 562.111 - Possession of alcoholic beverages by persons under age 21 prohibited. If the OP walked into a secured area, and the question was asked if the bottle was for the daughter, or if ID is asked by a law enforcement office while in the port, than the daughter could be charged with a misdemeanor of the second degree

Since the poster asked if they can do it, the answer is no, because if she said at the wrong time, the wine belongs to her, she could be in trouble. So the best thing is to say both bottles belong to the "legal" adult, and not try to bluff your way in with it. Why risk a vacation over a bottle of wine?

So my original answer is don't do it because it is illegal stands. Florida has some strict laws concerning this topic.

Honestly, I can't figure out why so many people would want to risk a vacation over a bottle of wine.

I believe in Florida a minor can "possess" a bottle of alcohol that is not his or hers, provided it belongs to another person of legal age. I'm not sure whether that is some where in the statute, but it is in the case law.

The law is Florida statue 562.111 - Possession of alcoholic beverages by persons under age 21 prohibited. If the OP walked into a secured area, and the question was asked if the bottle was for the daughter, or if ID is asked by a law enforcement office while in the port, than the daughter could be charged with a misdemeanor of the second degree

Since the poster asked if they can do it, the answer is no, because if she said at the wrong time, the wine belongs to her, she could be in trouble. So the best thing is to say both bottles belong to the "legal" adult, and not try to bluff your way in with it. Why risk a vacation over a bottle of wine?

So my original answer is don't do it because it is illegal stands. Florida has some strict laws concerning this topic.

Honestly, I can't figure out why so many people would want to risk a vacation over a bottle of wine.

Where did the OP ever say she was going to say it was her daughters ? Maybe she was just going to carry two herself and hope the the security person assumed it was one for each, and NOT ask for an ID. If they asked for an ID then yes, she would have to fess up and say they were both hers. I don't believe she was planning on saying " that alcohol belongs to my minor child ". She just hopes she is not questioned.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Edited by nitro2448

No, the bottle will be in MY possession. We will board together.

Have always done this when sailing with my husband - we have one roller with two bottles of wine and sodas/water.

Though frankly, if DD was doing the rolling of said suitcase, I really would not be worried about FL law swooping in!! I sure hope they have better things to do.

Edited by TrinaLC

We cruised out of Baltimore in January and port security demanded to see/count the bottles and compare it to the number of adults we had. My younger sister who is 24 was asked for her ID since we had to have it readily available through the entire boarding process.

Best case you'll get away it with--worst case it'll end up in the naughty room for you to claim the last day.

Edited by Carnival_Brides