PK Travel Greece Shared shore Excursions in Athens question?

Steve2006

We toured with Toles in early October and had a great day. They made arrangements for Michael to be our private guide at the Acropolis. He was extremely knowledgable about the history of the sites and an enthusiastic guide who,paced our climb up the hill to,our needs.

I would definitely recommend PK to anyone wanting to tour the Athens area.

We booked into a shared Shore Excursion to visit Athens. The van was ready and waiting when we disembarked from our ship. Very nice van with a driver and our tour guide Georgia. Georgia was very knowledgable and lots of fun. We got to the Acropolis early before all of the crowds and heat. Our group was a small group of 10 which is way better than the large groups from the ships' shore excursions. We got to see a lot of sites, acropolis, pantheon, olympic stadium, changing of the guards, and the new acropolis museum. We also had a couple of hours free time in the Plaka which was awesome. I would highly recommend this tour company.

Edited by Jamnuts

• 2 weeks later...

We used PK travel for a transfer from ship to Parthenon. The communication with the company (Potoula) was prompt and courteous. The driver was waiting for us as we got off the ship and we were in no time at the Parthenon. I strongly recommend them.

e were a group of 12 seniors, two of whom have mobility difficulties using a wheelchair and a walker. We booked PKTravel for a half day tour of Athens from the Island Princess. Due to safety concerns in Istanbul and an expected marine strike in Greece, our schedule was changed several times and the call in Athens was advanced to Sunday November 1 at the last minute. We had booked with PKTravel long in advance for our original call date, November 3. An email to Patoula, however, quickly rearranged the schedule and we were met by Anna and Dimitros at the dock on time with a lovely Mercedes Minibus that easily and comfortably accommodate the 12 of us. Anna did an amazing job of interspersing sights and history as we navigated the hour or so into downtown Athens from Piraeus. She evaluated the mobility condition of the party at the first stop, the Temple of Zeus, and recommended alternate plans for part of the party in lieu of the planned trek to the top of the Acropolis. Dimitros expertly managed downtown traffic, which since it was Sunday, was not as fierce as it could have been. After the impressive Changing of the Guard, unlike any we have seen elsewhere and definitely worth the time, four were left at the Acropolis Museum and the rest were shepherded to the parking area for the ascent to the Parthenon. Think Chicago is windy, try Acropolis Hill. Anna maintained a commentary the full way up the hill and at the top, despite quite large crowds for November and the blustery winds. The experience was amazing and would certainly not have been the same, and certainly not as educational, without the expert commentary provided by Anna. How happy we were to see Dimitros and our comfortable minibus when the reached the parking area again. We rejoined our party who regaled us on the excellence of the Museum, but chose to spend some free time in Plaka to enjoy a tasty Greek snack and some Greek coffee (did I mention it was not only windy but pretty chilly up on the hill?). For the trip back to Piraeus, Anna answered questions about Greece and the contemporary situation, as well as some queries about sights and monuments. All in all, an excellent , informative and educational day in Athens thanks to Anna and Dimitros and the organizational skills of Patoula at PK Travel Athens. Planning this excursion was a breeze, as emails received an immediate response and directions were clear and accurate. For anyone with only a half day to explore Athens, whether from a cruise ship or otherwise, the half-day semi-private tour offered by PK Travel would be an excellent choice.

Hi! I’ve just contacted one of the local companies concerning tours. They suggest a guide with his own car. So, he will be a guide and a driver at the same time. Actually I don’t mind it but is it a common practice in Athens? When I was on my first cruise (it was a Baltic cruise) I asked for a guide with a car but our manager in correspondence said it’s not safe and convinced us to book a guide and a driver. What about Athens? Is it considered to be safe? Is it a good idea?

Thank you! Jess :)

In all our tours in Greece we had a driver/ guide. In Athens we had Dimitri with PK who was an excellent ( and resourceful) driver and also gave excellent commentary. Felt completely safe since he so clearly knew all the ins and outs of Athens.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I need some help about booking a tour in Athens for May 2014. I contacted pktravelgreece.com and was impressed with what they offered, Does anyone have experience with them?

Thank you.

They were great used them in November, ship was rescheduled and they knew and made everything work, WOULD USE THEM AGAIN:)

• 3 weeks later...
Is there anything to do around the port if you schedule only a half day tour but don't want to get back on the ship too early. We are in Athens from 7-7. Thanks

We did Athens with cape Sounion tour, a beautiful ride, I high,y recommend it.

We booked a full day Athens tour with a tour guide for May 2016. The cost is 440 euros. My question is- do we tip? If so, how much? Do we tip the driver AND tour guide? I know tipping in Europe is different then the USA so I just wanted to be prepared and not rude!

• 3 months later...

We were on a cruise in April with Piraeus as the disembarking port. We needed transfers to Athens hotel on disembarking day and three separate transfers from hotel to airport on different days and time.

From the very start, Potoula of PK Travel was extremely helpful in arranging the four transfers. She reponded clearly to all my questions immediately with detail information and direction.

The four transfers were all very satisfactory. The drivers were on time. The behicles were clean. On our way to Athens, George even gave us a commentary of the key sights around Athens.

We were particulatly impressed with a last minute change. Due to a cancellation of Lufthansa flight, one of us had to scrabble for alternate and connecting flights home. That necessitated a very last minute change for the transfer to the airport ( earlier than arranged on the day when the Olympics flame arrived at the downtown Athens Oylmpic stadium close to our hotel, imagine the traffic congestion !!!) PK Travel deliverd again and the passenger arrived at the airport in good time.

We have no hesitation in recommending PKTravel.

We used transfers from port and back. Driver was timely waiting when we exited ship. He was very knowledgeable gave us directions and showed us where to meet for return. It made for a very easy to do day in Athens with no frustrations. Would not hesitate recommending the company as emails were always promptly returned as well.

MSRENDORG - saw your post on the Brilliance June 19 sailing for our day in Athens. That PK Travel semi-private tour for only 65euro seems like a terrific deal and a wonderful itinerary. Based on the posted comments, PK Travel is a great tour company. And comes with a guide as well! Will definitely sign up - hope others do so as well.

Thanks so much!

Our family of 12 got PK Travel for our private 5 hours tour in Athens. We got a private van with driver plus also got a tour guide.

Upon disembark, both the driver and the tour guide were already waiting for us at the exit of the port. Both can speak English very well and are very professional. Since we got a private tour, we have the time on our own terms and the driver and the guide were very accommodating.

I would definitely recommend PK Travel and will contact them on my next visit in Greece.

• 2 weeks later...
We booked a full day Athens tour with a tour guide for May 2016. The cost is 440 euros. My question is- do we tip? If so, how much? Do we tip the driver AND tour guide? I know tipping in Europe is different then the USA so I just wanted to be prepared and not rude!

I've found notes on different websites that tipping in Greece is customarily 10%. Can someone who has already toured Greece confirm this is an appropriate amount for tips? I am on a full day Athen's shared tour with PKTravel (in September), and want to be sure we are prepared with sufficient cash in hand.

Our family of 12 got PK Travel for our private 5 hours tour in Athens. We got a private van with driver plus also got a tour guide.

Upon disembark, both the driver and the tour guide were already waiting for us at the exit of the port. Both can speak English very well and are very professional. Since we got a private tour, we have the time on our own terms and the driver and the guide were very accommodating.

I would definitely recommend PK Travel and will contact them on my next visit in Greece.

I started to post regarding our tour, but this says it perfectly. So I will say I agree 100%. Our tour guide was Georgia and all 10 people in our group thought that she was great.

Our party of 4 booked PK Travel for a full day shore excursion tour of Athens in May 2016. Their customer service and follow-up were very good. Our driver, Tasos, met us just outside the cruise terminal and was right on time. Tasos was very informative, telling us about the sites as we drove to them and sharing his insights. A day is not enough time to see and experience everything in Athens, so we hope to return-and will definitely use PK Travel.

I booked with PKTravel for the all day Athens tour for out med cruise in May 2016. Patoula was a joy to work with and very responsive. When NCL eliminated the Turkish ports and changed our itinerary Patoula shifted our tour to our new day with no problems whatsoever.

We had a party of 12 from our roll call for a goal of 480€ including a guide at the Acropolis. We were still responsible for any entry fees (Acropolis, temple of Zeus, Agora, new Acropolis museum), tips and lunch but it was still a great value.

Our diver was Tolis and he picked us up right on schedule outside the port. He was very funny and drove us to everything. Our guide at the Acropolis was Georgia and she was very informative.

While I didn't love Athens itself and if we ever went back to that area I'd do another tour away from the city I'd highly recommend PKTravel!

Our party of 4 booked PK Travel for a full day shore excursion tour of Athens in May 2016. Their customer service and follow-up were very good. Our driver, Tasos, met us just outside the cruise terminal and was right on time. Tasos was very informative, telling us about the sites as we drove to them and sharing his insights. A day is not enough time to see and experience everything in Athens, so we hope to return-and will definitely use PK Travel.

How much did you pay for this excursion?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

We had originally signed up for the semi private tour of Athens with PK Travel but there weren't enough interested people on our cruise. PK Travel contacted another couple who had signed up and we ended up with 6 of us on a private tour with a full day guide. Maria was terrific and we got to move in and out quickly of the sites and got a few extras - changing of the guard! The driver was great as well. Cannot recommend them highly enough. We followed the itinerary of the semi private tour and had time for shopping. Maria guided us through the museum and was very helpful and informative.