Cam of the Day

No skipper & Gilligan or Ginger is she still alive ?

We were on a 48 foot ketch, and we called into Willis after an amateur radio operation out on Mellish reef, I had been violently sea sick and was so glad to get on land, we stayed for about 3 days and the weather crew looked after us very well, their freezer had just broken down and the steaks and ice cream were defrosting, our stay was prearranged , I took some beer and roll your own tobacco for one of the techs there, he drank theĀ  beer and smoked all the tobacco before we left, before we got there he had been going around the Island picking up all his old butts to make a smoke. Ā  There were four weather crew, we joined in some of their activities such as launching the balloons, interesting stay for us, they reduced the stay for the crew down to 6 months, used to be 12 months but the blokes were going tropo.

Edited by castaway01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, castaway01 said:

We were on a 48 foot ketch, and we called into Willis after an amateur radio operation out on Mellish reef, I had been violently sea sick and was so glad to get on land, we stayed for about 3 days and the weather crew looked after us very well, their freezer had just broken down and the steaks and ice cream were defrosting, our stay was prearranged , I took some beer and roll your own tobacco for one of the techs there, he drank theĀ  beer and smoked all the tobacco before we left, before we got there he had been going around the Island picking up all his old butts to make a smoke. Ā  There were four weather crew, we joined in some of their activities such as launching the balloons, interesting stay for us, they reduced the stay for the crew down to 6 months, used to be 12 months but the blokes were going tropo.

Sounds very interesting.

1 hour ago, castaway01 said:

Ā 

Ā The Professor could have been handy, although I could never understand that he could make a radio out of a coconut, & do other wonderful things, but couldn't patch the hole in the boat?? šŸ™‚

Ā 

Sounds like an interesting stopover for you & yes, 12 months would be a long time on Willis. I think I recall they said the supply boat comes out once a month??

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Ginger isn't ginger anymore, now known as GreyšŸ˜‹

You're quite correct about Ginger after having contributed to the retirement funds of at least a dozen plastic surgeons thereby setting them up for life. Mary-Anne, on the other hand, has aged most gracefully.