One Day in Osaka

Cruzn ELM

Considering Sapphire Princess repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Osaka, departing Apr 3 2014. Would be doing this more for the cruise than the sight seeing so when, after 26 days, we arrive in Osaka at 4 a.m. on Apr 29. we are thinking of only staying one night then heading back to CA (I know many think we should stay and see as much as possible but would rather do that on a separate land tour (really good cruise rates)). To those who have been there, what hotel and what sights would you recommend on this limited basis?

(the answer to the obvious next question is airplane rates are considerably cheaper on the 30th than the 29th)

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Considering Sapphire Princess repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Osaka, departing Apr 3 2014. Would be doing this more for the cruise than the sight seeing so when, after 26 days, we arrive in Osaka at 4 a.m. on Apr 29. we are thinking of only staying one night then heading back to CA (I know many think we should stay and see as much as possible but would rather do that on a separate land tour (really good cruise rates)). To those who have been there, what hotel and what sights would you recommend on this limited basis?

(the answer to the obvious next question is airplane rates are considerably cheaper on the 30th than the 29th)

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Going to Kyoto is the most recommended option. Easy daytrip by train from Osaka.

I also recommend going to Kyoto. You will be so close and having the chance, it would be a shame to miss it.

Please note that April 29 is a national holiday and the first holiday of Golden Week. Public transportation and tourist sites will likely be crowded.

Hope you will enjoy the cruise and your brief stay in Japan.

Kate

Hi! I'm booked on this cruise and we are spending 11 days post cruise in Japan. It's more than likely going to be our only trip to the Orient (I've been to Asia/ India- that's why I'm calling it the Orient).

We are booked at the Hyatt Regency Osaka for six nights. It was very reasonable and they offer free shuttle to Osaka train station. For me- it easier to just take a short taxi ride when we are bogged down with luggage and then travel around by mass transit- sans luggage.

If you are only there for one night- you might want to bite the bullet and stay by the Osaka train station- where many tours begin. My friend, who just returned from Japan- highly recommends a guided tour. She said she wouldn't have been able to navigate on her own. She loved Kyoto- which is easily accessible from Osaka and many tours take you there. The Hilton Osaka or Hotel Granvia would be good choices.

If you plan to do a tour- there are lots of tours but they aren't motorcoach tours. I have searched for these but Princess doesn't have any on their website and the other tour companies are guided but the guides use trains and public transportation- which means you can't have luggage with you.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hi,

We did the Japan season last year, and are returning this year. It was fabulous. I lived in Japan many years and still find their culture fascinating.

Yes, definitely visit Kyoto.

Also, try and eat some Okonomiyaki - it is the dish of Osaka and is delicious.

You are correct, the rates on the Sapphire are terrific. We considered flying/cruising to the USA, then cruising on Sapphire to Japan. Problem was that Cunard was expensive from Australia to USA, and we didn't want to fly.

Enjoy your time.

Nicki

• 2 weeks later...