Yaya Beach Experiences?

DjaOR

Tropicante lounge chairs are all booked the day we are in Costa Maya this January (NCL Dawn and one other ship there on same day) and it's thrown me for a loop. Has anyone used Yaya Beach before? We can reserve online at $35 for an open bar and shaded lounge chair. But I've also read that you can walk in and only pay for the food and drink you actually want to order. We would love the flexibility of just showing up if possible for our family of 2 adults and 2 teens, as long as it really works. Should I book online or just use a taxi and take our chances at Yaya and maybe have to find another place somehow?

It's our first cruise so any info is appreciated!

Depending on the number of ships in port with you (max is 3 for docking), it's very very easy to walk down the malecon and obtain a beach chair at any of the "beaches". They are all lined up next to each other ont he same strip of beach. No borders, gates, etc. separating them. No need for reservations. Just take a taxi to the first taxi stand stop in Mahahual. Or get on the bus at the port (same $ but need a taxi back to port) and it'll let you out at the first beach...Tequila Beach/Corona Beach. Unfortunately you will be mobbed by the lounge chairs hawkers to go to their beach. But you can just walk on down and check out which area bests suits you. You might even be able to get loungers at Tropicante or Pez Quadro, as they don't reserve all their loungers. Also you might walk past Tropicante and find 100% Agave (not sure if that's it's new name) and the great food and drink served by Fernando. Look for the big plastic tequila bottle. Enjoy your stay in Costa Maya.

Thank you, that helps make up my mind. There are 2 ships including ours at the port that day so we will just wing it and see what everyone wants to do. That should give us a little flexibility to sleep in or whatever.

• 5 months later...
Thank you, that helps make up my mind. There are 2 ships including ours at the port that day so we will just wing it and see what everyone wants to do. That should give us a little flexibility to sleep in or whatever.

Just wondering if you ended up going to yaya beach?

• 2 weeks later...

We went to YaYa Beach in April and had a great time. The beach was very clean, great service, food and drinks. We booked the AI online with Costa Maya Excursions and got a better price than walk-ins. Our cruise friends were there as well and said Nohoch Kay was completely over-rated and poor quality and they actually liked YaYa much better. We had a great time at the beach and would go back again!