Alaska from the Uk

tammez

Hi cruisers, as it is a special Birthday I would like to do An Alaskan cruise, perhaps including the train and a tour.

As I am based in the Uk would welcome any advice, experiences that may be able to help.

We are a family of 4 the youngest is 14,

Thanks guys

Hi cruisers, as it is a special Birthday I would like to do An Alaskan cruise, perhaps including the train and a tour.

As I am based in the Uk would welcome any advice, experiences that may be able to help.

We are a family of 4 the youngest is 14,

Thanks guys

What a special birthday cruise. :) There are a couple of things you need to decide first and then you have to research a few options before anyone can really help you.

For example--How long do you have for your vacation? Do you want to do a round trip from either Vancouver or Seattle?

Or do you want to add on a land tour [i see in your comment you might like to do a land tour] Since you are coming so far I would plan to spend at least a few days touring Alaska before or after a one way cruise. JMHO

What are your interests? Do you want to highlight wildlife? Glaciers and scenery, very active things to do? Are you on a strict budget? Flightseeing?

There are too many options without some more information. What you will get are comments about what other cruisers have done. Everyone thinks their cruises is best. I do not think there are any bad cruises in Alaska.

Here is one link to get you started.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/juneau.html

Have fun planning your birthday cruise!

You'll need to do some research to find which itinerary best suits the interests and priorities of your family. Borrow a few Alaska travel books from your library to learn about the different ports. .... there are less than 10 so it's not a time consuming task. There are also a couple of books on Alaska cruising; Ann Vipond has 'alaska by cruiseship' and Fodor has ' Alaska ports of call'. These books discuss the cruiselines, ships, itineraries, ports, activities, etc.

Also, have a look at the STICKY above, called '2013 Alaska cruise reviews' ... in reply #45 the reports are sorted by cruiseline. They include cruises, cruise + cruisetour, and cruise + DIY land. The reports are very detailed so they'll provide lots of helpful information.

Hi my DH and I are doing an Alaska Canadian Rockies tour August next year. I work in a school so only had a 6 week time scale which in many ways has made it easier to choose. We have booked it through RCI to make it easier although I will book some of the excursion myself. We are doing the Rockies 1st and finishing with the cruise in Seward. The only difficultly is that there is no direct flight back to the UK from there so we are doing flights from Anchorage to Seattle with an over night stay an then a direct flight to Heathrow, good job we like flying.

-------------------

Gaynor

Past cruises

Oasis of the seas. August 2013

Independence of the seas. August. 2009

The only difficultly is that there is no direct flight back to the UK from there so we are doing flights from Anchorage to Seattle with an over night stay an then a direct flight to Heathrow, good job we like flying.
In the summer, Icelandair fly from Anchorage to LHR, LGW and MAN via Reykjavik, much faster and cheaper than BA via SEA or YVR.

But RCI don't use them so we don't have that choice.

Of course the choice you have is not to use cruise air, but if the tickets are already bought, or you can't get a refund, then it's a moot point. But the OP is also coming from the Midlands and MAN might be an easier airport than LHR.

Edited by Gardyloo