My observations: Royal vs. Holland

jimicaj

Interesting comparisons!

I have never felt crowded on a Royal Caribbean ship, and all but one of my cruises with RCI have been at Spring Break or other school holiday times. We always have at least a balcony though, so we tend to spend our relaxation time there instead of at the pools or other public space. I thought there was a NOTICEABLE difference in the passenger load between our off-peak cruise on the Mariner last April and our Texas Spring Break cruise on the Mariner in 2012.

We enjoyed our first HAL cruise, but didn't care for our second one at all. I thought the ship (Westerdam) was very underwhelming, and there were very few activities or entertainment offerings that appealed to us. I would consider HAL again, but it would have to be for a special itinerary at a great price that I couldn't get on one of the RCCL brands.

I really appreciate your comparison of RCL & Holland. I have more than 30 cruises, mostly with RCL and about 6 each with Celebrity & Princess. I love all the cruise lines and love being on a ship!

I have found that I am hesitant to book Holland (not sure why) and after your review, I just might give them a try, thanks!

Interesting comparison.

We've cruised and enjoyed HAL in the past. We enjoyed both of them, but decided to branch out to RCI and have cruised them exclusively since. But I share many of your observations on the two (recognizing that our HAL experiences are now 7 years old!).

We switched to RCI for the activities. I agree completely with you on the music and after hours venues. I also agree completely with you on HAL's service; you can not close your cabin door on HAL before your steward is cleaning your room. And that happens multiple times a day, not twice! I also really loved the Pinnacle Grill and an actual onboard sommelier, and corresponding wine list, something RCI really doesn't offer. The onboard activities are different; not saying one's better, but they are definitely not the same. I remember one very enjoyable HAL "make your own martini" activity and an introduction to wine activity that I've not seen duplicated on RCI.

I don't know that we'll return to HAL in the future; we'll be Diamond on RCI after our next cruise, so Celebrity may fill that role, but HAL offers a very nice, traditional, luxury product. You can joke about the walkers and oxygen bottles (which we did find common), but their service was always amazing.

Insides on most ships are small. Royal's tube showers are the best because there is no curtain to let water run all over the bathroom floor and grope you while you are showering.:)

Bwah-ha-ha-ha! I loved this comment. Actually, we have rarely ever showered in-cabin. We always use the gym locker room showers or thermal suite for the showers that are larger.

Based on your comparison, it sounds like you would like the service, as well as the shyness, of Celebrity too. We're going on the Navigator in about 6 weeks, and almost chose HAL for Alaska. I would personally rather be on a "fun ship" in the Caribbean, and a low-key service line in Alaska and Scandinavia, taking in the scenic beauty outside.

On our 2nd Trip to Alaska, HAL's Yukon Tour!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Reading your review, and you are very forth right about your likes and dislikes, leads me to suggest you try Azamara at some time in the future. They are small ships, just under 700 passengers, a casual setting at all times, and would allow you the space and quietness in many public spaces. I think that you would enjoy Azamara better than Holland America.

Thanks for a most interesting comparison. A couple of notes, Galveston is terrible when it comes to embarkation and disembarkation.....it's just a fact of life. Holland America would face the same problems in Galveston.

Your writing is very articulate, and you appear to have a great deal of maturity for a person of your age, to which I tip my hat to you!;)

Rick

Thanks! I enjoyed your review and comparison.

I echo the other poster. Try Celebrity, next. Our family sails Royal now since our daughter (after a try at Disney. Not for us!) and find it gives all of us something individually, as a couple and as a family. However, as a couple we preferred Celebrity. We sailed Celebrity in our very early 30's and found it so romantic. Perfect for a couple. It might be the one to try next.

Cheers,

Koohiichan

We have been on 4 HAL cruises and we are D+ with RCI. Your comparison is very good! As for the age...we were on the Enchantment out of Balt and there were more scooters, walkers , than I ever saw on a HAL cruise, not to mention the 2 trained dogs! I am not saying that HAL is a young crowd...just that RCI can have some issues with age also depending on the cruise.

Very interesting comparisons. Thank you!! We've sailed Disney, Celebrity and RCI ... and we love all of them.

Interesting about the public areas being crowded. We were on the Allure in July at almost capacity and most of the public areas seemed deserted throughout the cruise. Maybe Royal has learned a few new things about ship layout.

Just sharing that because I don't want you to be scared off of the big ships. The Allure really is amazing.

Thanks again!!:)

Very interesting comparisons. Thank you!! We've sailed Disney, Celebrity and RCI ... and we love all of them.

Interesting about the public areas being crowded. We were on the Allure in July at almost capacity and most of the public areas seemed deserted throughout the cruise. Maybe Royal has learned a few new things about ship layout.

Just sharing that because I don't want you to be scared off of the big ships. The Allure really is amazing.

Thanks again!!:)

Wow really? We were on Allure in August and found it horribly crowded, except for port days. We vowed never to cruise that class again (unless it was a port intensive cruise, such as Europe).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One of the great things about cruising is the ability to do as much or as little as you like while on vacation, and to be more (or less) involved in activities based on your own interests.

I've cruised 13 times on 10 different ships, 4 lines. 10 of those cruises have been on Royal, on every class of ship from smallest to largest. We like all the Royal ships, but prefer the Voyager class and above for the choice of amenities and activities. We have learned how to find the quiet areas for reading(Viking Crown lounge is great during the day,)as well as the library.

Your comments and comparisons were obviously well thought out and you found the things that matter most to you, which is what makes an interesting review.

My experiences with dining and service levels on HAL were a great disappointment; we are unlikely to book them again. Celebrity was awesome for food, service, and amenities(very classy), but too quiet at night. So we continue to be "loyal to Royal" and look forward to a 5 day on Liberty of the Seas in less than 3 weeks, which will bring us to Diamond Level.

Have fun with cruising, and find your own niche!

Barb

Wow really? We were on Allure in August and found it horribly crowded, except for port days. We vowed never to cruise that class again (unless it was a port intensive cruise, such as Europe).

Interesting. Our Oasis and Allure cruises were the least crowded to us.

Interesting. Our Oasis and Allure cruises were the least crowded to us.

Have to agree with this. Maybe depends on where you were going, but we found the neighborhood concept really broke up the crowds.

Thanks for your lovely comparison of HAL & RCCL. Your comment about the music on RCCL ships is one of our favorite aspects of RCCL ships.

Cruising during Christmas or New Years holidays our observations on board are: 1. much more crowded ships; 2. families tending to somewhat claim territory whether it be on a stairway, in the theater, or the promenade. :) Just a part of the holiday spirit on board. ;)

Thanks again for the comparison. Nice job!

Nice review, on the Navigator I have found the back of the ship on deck 5 very quiet, also Crown Viking Lounge, and other venues very quiet.

I have not been on HAL, recently I have been on MSC and enjoyed their service.

Ssshhhhhh don't tell people about deck 5! The aft area on the pool deck is also quiet, but since the railing is plate glass and such an excellent wind break it can get really hot back there with no breeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimicaj

I don't have as much cruising experience as most here--7 cruises--all on RCL except 1 on HAL Eurodam. The crew is great on HAL but just as good on RCL. From keeping up with the HAL boards it seems like HAL's level of service is being cut (as is most) and I am concerned about the numerous complaints of plumbing, a/c and other problems constant on some of the ships. If you are in a GS the perks at RCL outweigh HAL for sure.

Thanks for the review =)

The one drawback I see is that I think you are comparing two very different cruises, not just the cruise lines. An Alaska tour is going to be a little quieter and less crowded by default, and the Navigator has the added ding that it just recently completed a repositioning and from what I understand, is still settling into the new routine. I hope you won't write off all of RCI's ships based on just that tour, however if you aren't so into the whizzbangs I think you might enjoy trying one of the smaller ships in the fleet or even Celebrity better next time.

I have to agree though, about feeling crowded sometimes on Royal. When we did Liberty we felt like it was impossible to really have space to ourselves, compared to the Voyager class. Makes me a little hesitant to try the Oasis despite all the goergeousness.

Tried to edit my post but waited too long.

I am very glad there are different cruise lines from which to choose. I do believe RCL caters more to families and HAL caters to a different perhaps "quieter" crowd. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I did not like the smoking on HAL but the smoking policy has been changed there so it may be better. I don't have children and don't cruise when they might be out of school so that doesn't concern me on RCL. Maybe one day I will go on the big ships but not at this point.

Ssshhhhhh don't tell people about deck 5! The aft area on the pool deck is also quiet, but since the railing is plate glass and such an excellent wind break it can get really hot back there with no breeze.

This is exactly where we found to be great on the Navigator last spring break when it sailed out of New Orleans. We live in Texas and went drove to New Orleans during the Texas spring break. I honestly hate crowds and we didn't have a problem with any crowds. I think during holidays though you will definitely see more crowds and pool lounge savers than usual as people are traveling with larger groups. We sat in a GREAT location in the dining room right next to the Captains table and had the worst service ever. The running joke was that we were sure that our waiter was new and being hazed in the kitchen.

I have sailed NCL, Disney and Royal twice and I consider myself to be loyal to royal, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try another cruise line. Different ships for different reasons. For instance I wouldn't bother taking my kids on a Celebrity ship but I would take one with my husband. I thought Disney was boring but it was probably one of the quietest ships I've ever been on, which is odd. On my two RCL sailings I've always found it impossible to get a lounge chair at the Solarium by the time I ditch my kids for a few hours. I hope this is different on my Allure trip next Thanksgiving.

All that said, I think it is really a ship to ship thing as well as what time of year you travel. Our first RCL cruise was our honeymoon on Enchantment and we felt VERY young and loved every minute because it seemed we had the pool and hot tubes to ourselves. I would find it very hard to compare cruise lines in general because I feel like every ship and itinerary combined with time of year sailed is just so different. I think I also like the Glitz factor on Royal. Maybe I like overstated.

Debbie

We have sailed almost exclusively with RCI, but just yesterday I was looking ahead to 2015 and a Panama Canal cruise on HAL. Thanks for your comparisons. We too are quiet cruisers and are quite content to spend at sea days in the solarium reading and people watching. We enjoy the ice shows on Royal, but sometimes you have to sail on a different type of ship to go to the desired destinations.

I can't believe I overlooked this...but after sleeping in my own bed, I remembered how sleeping on the HAL beds are like sleeping on a cloud. You might as well sleep on the gang plank on RCI. I tried to take our HAL mattress with us when we disembarked but security gave me the stink eye when I started dragging it down the hall.

Stateroom:

We didn’t find any major differences between furnishings in the staterooms. My only complaint is the “tube shower” on RCI. Holland was equipped with a full tub in the ocean view room, and we found the tube shower to be very small and inconvenient. It also made the overall size of the bathroom much smaller. However, we felt the closet, although smaller on RCI, was better organized than on Holland. Our stateroom attendant was excellent. There were far fewer towel animals but that isn’t a huge deal to us. We did find it odd that there seemed to constantly be carts and bags of dirty towels in the hallways on RCI. On Holland, we rarely saw our stateroom attendant and rarely (if ever) would he have a cart out in the hallway. They were very fast and efficient on Holland, and seemed to use a nearby room to retrieve the supplies they needed, which kept the hallway free of clutter. Holland attendants just seemed to know when we would be out of our room and took care of things when we were out and about. I would choose a Holland stateroom over Royal just for the convenience of such efficient stateroom attendants and a better shower.