Jumping ship to Seabourn

Dave Stuart

Oh illustrious Commodore, supporting any party is far too earnest for old ho-hum !

Being a devotee at the temple of the "Sea Dream crew" is more than enough ! Ommmm.

It's funny though.

It did'nt take long to smoke out James "Budgie" Arbuckle Aviary and Commodore Nelson "Twinkle-toes" Davidos who recently scurrilously alleged that old ho-hum's posts were written soon after either;

- inhaling "those" substances becoming legal in those educated parts of the US !

and

- regularly frequenting the pub/s for long periods until closing time !

Ho-hum has been urged to issue a writ for malicious slander to both "gentleman" by his old family solicitors: Sue, Grabbit & Run but whilst both allegations can be completely defended, examination by any half-competent attorney could discover his love of Burgundy & Bordeaux in liberal measures (but only with chums) and it may be difficult to persuade a judge that any damage has occurred by their remarks when it still gives ho-hum such a good chuckle !

Well if you must write a writ, please forward the written writ to my solicitors: Dewey, Cheatem and Howe. They will know just what to do with it.:eek::D

Quite a following Ho-hum has now, two old feral tree fellers from the back woods of Quebec, you and the two burly male nurses at my old Victorian secure unit out here on the wolf infested moors ! Aaaaaahhhhhoooooooo !

Not exactly the world sweeping movement that John Lennon & Yoko Ono inspired with their Peace protests, which I am guessing is about the time your hippy parents gave the world: Poppy, who would later go on to add that much needed distinct ray of sunshine and beauty in this world.

They say laughter is the best medicine but if you are choking then either you are reading Ho-hum's old posts slouching in bed or are eating cake or both !

Some care and attention is required when reading these posts: you are obviously vicariously, gorging on these lines giggling along THEN there is a line which is the equivalent of coming across a whole chilli in your meal and hey presto, a series of convulsions ensues resulting in said choking which if not checked may lead to complete loss of bladder control or worse !

Well I'm off for a lower under-garment change of apparel myself, so I wish you all a good day.

"Ho-hum that's twice already to-day !

And I dont think he's done yet !

Stop slouching and put that cake down, God damn it !"

Now P that's really an Eeeeeeekkkkkkkkk !

Get better soon.

Apologies to all serious Sea Dream posters/viewers, a serious interruption to our service has occurred with these unfortunate low tone, self-indulgent Ho-hum posts.

Normal (dull) service will be resumed as soon as possible: our engineers (in Quebec) are working on the problem (as soon as they are back from a huntin').

Ho hum you always have a very colourful reply which I love. Think I was probably an unexpected child born later in life to to my unhippylike parents born in the 1920's. I hope your burly male nurses are going to accompany you on your next trip as I am thinking of booking a little 7day taster cruise with Seadream so I hope they're onboard if I take ill. Only joking, being serious now I believe Seadream have introduced a 'Raw food menu' onboard. That would interest me. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this menu and I would appreciate their reviews.

Last time I was onboard (May 2013), I enjoyed several items off the raw menu. I found them all to be quite tasty and I don't adhere to a raw diet at all. I'm sure someone who's really into raw food can add more, but from my perspective, the quality of the raw items was top notch. I particularly enjoyed the raw panna cotta for dessert.

Sheree, I don't think the raw food menu will be enough to sustain you! But you may like some of it -- I found certain dishes quite tasty! But you shouldn't have a problem with being vegan (just make sure Miami knows!) -- SD does a great job on vegetarian, gluten-free, etc. They'll bend over backwards to accommodate you!

Vandrefalk

Ho hum you always have a very colourful reply which I love. Think I was probably an unexpected child born later in life to to my unhippylike parents born in the 1920's. I hope your burly male nurses are going to accompany you on your next trip as I am thinking of booking a little 7day taster cruise with Seadream so I hope they're onboard if I take ill. Only joking, being serious now I believe Seadream have introduced a 'Raw food menu' onboard. That would interest me. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this menu and I would appreciate their reviews.

.....verily the force is strong with you, young Poppy....

It is you who should be telling us what to eat and how you retain our vitality: you "sound" decades younger darling, good on you.

Ho hum's, independent living, 95 year old is still ahead of you tho' and she was still smoking up to 2 years ago, even tho' ho hum warned her that smoking may shorten her life !

These old people dont listen to the youngsters to-day.

Lady V is absolutely right. Just tell a waiter, maitre d', hotel manager or chef of your allergies and preferences and they will be glad to assist, really glad, honestly, cross my heart and hope to.....well lets not go that far !

For a comprehensive insight into the Raw Food section may ho hum refer all interested parties to a few websites.

The first website relates to a healthy food site shown on Sea Dream television in the cabin and includes juices (which are available at breakfast).

http://www.foodmatters.tv/

The second website is an American medical appraisal of the Raw Food diet.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/raw-foods-diet

The reason it is on Sea Dream is entirely due to the owner and his family who are great advocates and practitioners. If you were fortunate to ever meet one of their daughters, you would be instantly impressed. A beautiful young lady, exceptional good manners, kind and well educated. A great example of healthy living.

Essentially it is vegetable based and cooking temperatures are kept low as it is claimed the nutrients are destroyed above certain temperatures.

There are other vegetarian options on the menus apart from Raw Food.

Now ho hum will cause a bit of controversy now. Some of the Raw Food claims may be considered....well how do you put it......stretching credulity.

Now old ho hum was a vegetarian for over 20 years but only for ethical reasons but he still loves mainly a vegetable based diet purely for flavour.

Sometimes you hear very strange claims for the Raw Food Diet: some can be taken with a pinch of salt.........sorry seasoning (too much salt is bad for the heart).

By the way eggs on SD do not need salt as the hens onboard are naturally exposed to sea salt. The two chickens are kept outside the Captain's quarters in a narrow but long coup hence they can be called free range. Naturally the Captain picks the freshest eggs for his egg nog at the start of the day. Privileges of rank I guess. Oh well, ho hum.

'Now old ho hum was a vegetarian for over 20 years but only for ethical reasons but he still loves mainly a vegetable based diet purely for flavour. "....................Was a vegetarian?:eek: I hope you still are,I am too, and for ethical reasons too. The thought of veal or suckling pig turns my stomach. Such a cruel life ending in a very frightening cruel slaughter for the poor animal. Anyway how are the veggie options on Seadream ?

I did 7 weeks on Seabourn last year and although the breakfast and lunch had a reasonable choice, the mains at night in all restaurants were basically a double portion of a starter, repeated week in week out. I'm not a raw person but thought I would like to experience it, maybe once. Look forward to hearing about what kind of veg dishes you experienced onboard and how you rated them.

Love you calling me 'young Poppy'. You're the only one who calls me that. :)

Also sounding decades younger, (which I'm not but )I think I can live with that because I feel I'm a happy young person enjoying life to the full. :)

'Now old ho hum was a vegetarian for over 20 years but only for ethical reasons but he still loves mainly a vegetable based diet purely for flavour. "....................Was a vegetarian?:eek: I hope you still are,I am too, and for ethical reasons too. The thought of veal or suckling pig turns my stomach. Such a cruel life ending in a very frightening cruel slaughter for the poor animal. Anyway how are the veggie options on Seadream ?

I did 7 weeks on Seabourn last year and although the breakfast and lunch had a reasonable choice, the mains at night in all restaurants were basically a double portion of a starter, repeated week in week out. I'm not a raw person but thought I would like to experience it, maybe once. Look forward to hearing about what kind of veg dishes you experienced onboard and how you rated them.

Love you calling me 'young Poppy'. You're the only one who calls me that. :)

Also sounding decades younger, (which I'm not but )I think I can live with that because I feel I'm a happy young person enjoying life to the full. :)

Poppy, the menu provide dishes that are delicious for everyone, some just happen to be all vegetables and there is a fair choice of them too and they are rated as equivalent to all the other dishes (sometimes better).

Ho hum's travelling partner is a vegetarian and would never accept second best. The food is a main reason for going on SD.

Do you eat fish, prawns, squid, clams ? There is always at least two fish dishes.

The chefs will prepare anything you like and gladly; they just need to know. (As Lady V earlier advised).

Finally may old ho hum respectfully suggest that you email Sea Dream at

info@seadream.com and ask for a full of lunch and dinner menus to be scanned and sent to you.

If that fails then ho hum will email a "big wig" and provided you have emailed them with your contact details then ho hum's sure you will receive the menus either online or by post.

Please do not give any contact details on this forum, sorry, you know this already.

When were you thinking of taking voyage young Poppy ?

I just booked the Nov 29th sailing on SeaDream 1 and am so excited! I have sailed Seabourn and Crystal but never this line. I really appreciate the wonderful knowledge you all impart. I have been in contact with Miami, and had extensive conversations as to the vegan options prior to booking, as this is an ethical thing for my husband, myself and our other two traveling companions as well in he other cabin. We don't eat any animal products to include fish. We even were able to verify that there would be coffee creamer available that is soy or almond in nature. These guys really know how to please. Thanks again for all your great posts. I hadn't been on in a few days as the ice storm knocked out my wifi!

Sheree

I just booked the Nov 29th sailing on SeaDream 1 and am so excited! I have sailed Seabourn and Crystal but never this line. I really appreciate the wonderful knowledge you all impart. I have been in contact with Miami, and had extensive conversations as to the vegan options prior to booking, as this is an ethical thing for my husband, myself and our other two traveling companions as well in he other cabin. We don't eat any animal products to include fish. We even were able to verify that there would be coffee creamer available that is soy or almond in nature. These guys really know how to please. Thanks again for all your great posts. I hadn't been on in a few days as the ice storm knocked out my wifi!

Sheree

WOW that's great that SD have given you guarantees personally prior to booking regarding your diet/food requests. I would love to read a review of your trip as I'm thinking of booking a little taster cruise in 2015.

Have a wonderful trip and you look so fabulous in your profile pic.

Dear Mr Ho Hum,since you so kindly asked, I am thinking of the Black Sea departing 29 Aug 2015 for 13 nights. It's an itinerary I've never experienced but always wanted to. Would do it sooner but I have a big surprise trip planned for the 'old boys' milestone birthday before then which is costing me a small fortune so it looks like we will have to wait until later in 2015 before trying SD. However, 'good things come to those who wait'. Happy sailing;)

Re ho-hum postings..... I look forward to all of these postings, very clever and very funny, brightens up the CC board. We need some humour and entertainment in the UK currently before we drown in all this RAIN..... Can't wait for the next post, you should publish a book Ho-hum. Can we have more soon?????

Edited by Glpcboat

Re ho-hum postings..... I look forward to all of these postings, very clever and very funny, brightens up the CC board. We need some humour and entertainment in the UK currently before we drown in all this RAIN..... Can't wait for the next post, you should publish a book Ho-hum. Can we have more soon?????

......OH NO:eek: don't start him on the WEATHER!! Only joking, Mr Ho Hums posts are fab:)

I was so happy as well!!! Since my one remaining vice (food wise that is:D) is coffee hahah. and I must have my creamer! I was wondering how I was going to get enough of it on the plane to SJ if they wouldn't have it on there!!! I did have to push a bit to get the answer. I called once and emailed twice prior to booking. But they came up with this answer

There will be multiple vegan options throughout the day, not just at dinner. There will be vegan canapé choices served. There will be vegan sandwich choices. At the beach barbecue there will be at least one vegan choice as well as fruit and vegetable choices. There are multiple soy and almond milk choices throughout the ship. We want ALL of our clients to be happy and well fed.

I was quite pleased since I don't think the "raw" menu will always suit my 220 pound retired special Ops husband! HAHAH.

I was so happy as well!!! Since my one remaining vice (food wise that is:D) is coffee hahah. and I must have my creamer! I was wondering how I was going to get enough of it on the plane to SJ if they wouldn't have it on there!!! I did have to push a bit to get the answer. I called once and emailed twice prior to booking. But they came up with this answer

There will be multiple vegan options throughout the day, not just at dinner. There will be vegan canapé choices served. There will be vegan sandwich choices. At the beach barbecue there will be at least one vegan choice as well as fruit and vegetable choices. There are multiple soy and almond milk choices throughout the ship. We want ALL of our clients to be happy and well fed.

I was quite pleased since I don't think the "raw" menu will always suit my 220 pound retired special Ops husband! HAHAH.

Good thing vodka is made with grain. Vegan, right?:eek::D:D

you are in my husbands territory now! :D:D:D But he is a Bourbon or Scotch man. Our traveling companion drinks vodka though. My dirty little secret....... I may drink...but it is HIGHLY doubtful that they will have apple pie moonshine on board??? I know they pride themselves on not saying "no" but come on!

• 4 weeks later...
Seadream has not handled this engine failure well. The fact that the Jan 4 trip is now 4 days out of 7 at sea is being treated like the kitchen overcooked the toast-- a small matter. Its not. 4 days where you can go a bit stir crazy. Reports of internet and other problems. Yet, Sea Dream is not giving us a dime discount on this trip, they are only offering it on a future trip. Who came up with that crazy idea? The rules on effective crisis management is to aggressively fix the problem, provide detailed information on what is going on and aggressively help your customers. That is not how Seadream is handling it.

Fortunately, Seabourn has a trip the same time, with lots of great island stops--and it is less money. No brainer.

I encourage others to join us. I know Seadream is offering a credit for spa time--but a free massage and a future discount are not an adequate way to handle the problem.

After several months of prodding SD and waiting patiently for them to say something -- anything -- about the SD1 engine issue, we have decided to return to Seabourn with our friends for the next 2 cruises. This represents a loss of 4 cabins for 36 days to SD, but they don't seem to care. As we liked the product and crew very much at SD, this is very disappointing and responsibility for the lost business falls squarely on the shoulders of SD management. This begs the question of whether there is any future direction for SD at all.

Have a great trip Dave and we look forward to your review. We have only sailed the Seabourn little sisters so want to hear your take on the bigger ships.:D

Thanks Jim. We have been on the little SB Pride twice and loved it. We have also been on one of the larger SB vessels once (Sojourn). DW prefers the larger SB to the triplets because it has more to offer. As for me, being a sailor most of my life and owning my own boat, I prefer the smaller ships. A review will certainly follow our voyage.