Internet on the Ryndam

Sunsailor

We will be sailing on the Ryndam in Europe in April and it's our first time on this ship. Can a recent Ryndam cruiser tell me how the internet access is on the ship? Is the signal strong in the cabins or must we be in public areas?

We use Skype out (voice only to call phones) to stay in touch with family at home.

We usually sail Princess and the routers in the halls resulted in an excellent signal in the cabins.

We're hoping to have the same good result on the Ryndam.

Thanks

Don't count on Skype being available. It is a bandwidth hog, and requires pretty strong and consistent signal.

Signal strength varies throughout the ship. They have been improving this fleetwide, but not sure where they are on improving it on Ryndam.

We were on the Ryndam in December and I purchased the 1000 minute plan because I was doing a live review. We were in cabin 042 near the aft elevators (Deck 10). For most of my review, I posted from the cabin. Of course, the satellite connection is very slow compared to a normal connection. I was able to surf/check email from the balcony, but could not upload anything. I had to be in the cabin itself to do that. Someone mentioned to me the connection was better in the library area. Towards the end of the cruise, I went there to post and it was a little faster, but not a whole lot different from our cabin. I would think the internet connection would vary depending upon your cabin location, but I was satisfied with the strength of wifi in our cabin. Of course, I wish it was similar to land based wifi, but it is what it is. I haven't been on Princess for years, so I can't give you a comparison of wifi between the two cruise lines. I just know my wifi experience on the Ryndam last month was much better than it was three years ago when we were on this same ship.

We were recently in 053 and were unable to get internet. Short walk to library and I had access. I use a Kindle Fire and I think I had faster internet than those using the ships computers.

How would that be possible? You were still using the same satellite. BTW, glad to hear that the Ryndam got their hardware fixed. When we were on it in November, the only place that you could get on the internet was in the Library. They were expecting to pick up new equipment in Tampa.

How would that be possible? You were still using the same satellite. BTW, glad to hear that the Ryndam got their hardware fixed. When we were on it in November, the only place that you could get on the internet was in the Library. They were expecting to pick up new equipment in Tampa.

It won't be an issue of the Internet, it would the strength of the wireless signal.

It won't be an issue of the Internet, it would the strength of the wireless signal.

Exactly. Which is why it was only possible to receive the signal in the Library. It wasn't even available in the Neptune Lounge. But are you saying that, between the i-Pad and the ship's computer, the difference in the speed in accessing the internet is determined by the strength of the signal; and that, then, is affected by the particular computer picking up the signal?

Exactly. Which is why it was only possible to receive the signal in the Library. It wasn't even available in the Neptune Lounge. But are you saying that, between the i-Pad and the ship's computer, the difference in the speed in accessing the internet is determined by the strength of the signal; and that, then, is affected by the particular computer picking up the signal?

What I am saying is the speed of the Internet was affected by the strength of the wireless connection between your Ipad (or computer) and the nearest wireless antenna on the ship. A "one bar" wireless signal will be very slow, a "4 bar" wireless signal should provide faster speed. Of course, the steadiness of the connection from the ship to the satellite, and other demand on that connection to the satellite also affect the speed.

What I am saying is the speed of the Internet was affected by the strength of the wireless connection between your Ipad (or computer) and the nearest wireless antenna on the ship. A "one bar" wireless signal will be very slow, a "4 bar" wireless signal should provide faster speed. Of course, the steadiness of the connection from the ship to the satellite, and other demand on that connection to the satellite also affect the speed.

Got it! Thanks.

• 1 year later...
We were on the Ryndam in December and I purchased the 1000 minute plan because I was doing a live review. We were in cabin 042 near the aft elevators (Deck 10). For most of my review, I posted from the cabin. Of course, the satellite connection is very slow compared to a normal connection. I was able to surf/check email from the balcony, but could not upload anything. I had to be in the cabin itself to do that. Someone mentioned to me the connection was better in the library area. Towards the end of the cruise, I went there to post and it was a little faster, but not a whole lot different from our cabin. I would think the internet connection would vary depending upon your cabin location, but I was satisfied with the strength of wifi in our cabin. Of course, I wish it was similar to land based wifi, but it is what it is. I haven't been on Princess for years, so I can't give you a comparison of wifi between the two cruise lines. I just know my wifi experience on the Ryndam last month was much better than it was three years ago when we were on this same ship.

That's really helpful info - would you say that 1000 minutes was sufficient? How long were you onboard? And can that be used in multiple devices?

Likely you are doing a Norway cruise so will be close to land. I would pick up a cheap local sim. We are lucky as in UK my carrier will provide full cover in Norway and allow me to use my inclusive minutes and data

That's really helpful info - would you say that 1000 minutes was sufficient? How long were you onboard? And can that be used in multiple devices?

My cruise was 14 days in the Carribean. I had some minutes left at the end of the cruise, but I was very careful and watched my time closely while doing my review. I did as much as I could off line, then signed on so I could paste things into my emails, review, etc. You can use multiple devices on your account, but not at the same time. Only one device can be signed in at any given time. If you want to use two devices at the same time, you have to set up two accounts, which means paying twice.

My cruise was 14 days in the Carribean. I had some minutes left at the end of the cruise, but I was very careful and watched my time closely while doing my review. I did as much as I could off line, then signed on so I could paste things into my emails, review, etc. You can use multiple devices on your account, but not at the same time. Only one device can be signed in at any given time. If you want to use two devices at the same time, you have to set up two accounts, which means paying twice.

Are you allowed to use a hotspot to share the connection to other devices? I can't find anything on the HAL site about whether that's allowed or not.

Are you allowed to use a hotspot to share the connection to other devices? I can't find anything on the HAL site about whether that's allowed or not.

I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this question.

I have seen some older passengers time and again sitting at the computer slowly typing out an email while ONLINE eating up those expensive minutes.

After watching one rather old lady do this for about thirty minutes I pointed out to her that she didn't need to be online to write the email but could compose her emails , taking her time, and then go ONLINE and hit send. Gave her a two minute lesson on how to do it.

She was so happy to learn this I thought she was going to kiss me.

• 2 weeks later...
Likely you are doing a Norway cruise so will be close to land. I would pick up a cheap local sim. We are lucky as in UK my carrier will provide full cover in Norway and allow me to use my inclusive minutes and data

Thank you

Following your suggestion, I am hoping to see if I can get a Three contract for a Huwaie wifi hub as Norway looks like it's not treated as 'international'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My daughter is currently on Caribbean Princess in the Fjords and has good signal on her Three mobile. Only time no signal was in North Sea on way up from Southampton and sometimes if in depths of ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk