Cruise Critic Community
rjscott

Budapest Baths?

Wondering if anyone has had any experience at any of the Budapest baths? Thinking about visiting one of the local baths one of our evenings in Budapest in June, and looking for first-hand experiences.

Thx!

We visited Rudas Bath about a year ago. I got mixed impressions: from one side it is kind of a unique place to visit. But from the other side I'd never go there again: the place is packed with locals and I am not really a fan of Jacuzzi...

If someone asks me if it is good for health? Definitely Yes, but you'll need to keep visiting it for about a year not just 1 time.

We had a private guide in Budapest for 2 half-day tours. She took us (using public transportation) to Szechenyl Baths. It was lovely.

Our guide told us that mostly tourists use the baths. The city has tried to encourage young people to go by scheduling concerts there.

Here is a link to view some photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Szechenyi+Baths&client=firefox-a&hs=tEH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sJPIUo-ZOc7hoAS3tIGYDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=736

We visited Rudas Bath about a year ago. I got mixed impressions: from one side it is kind of a unique place to visit. But from the other side I'd never go there again: the place is packed with locals and I am not really a fan of Jacuzzi...

If someone asks me if it is good for health? Definitely Yes, but you'll need to keep visiting it for about a year not just 1 time.

Thx for your response. From the reviews on Trip Advisor, it seemed like there were a lot of mixed impressions. I'm not looking for a jacuzzi type of bath, but rather one that has the pools of various temps. We experienced those in Colorado and found it to be a very pleasant experience.

We had a private guide in Budapest for 2 half-day tours. She took us (using public transportation) to Szechenyl Baths. It was lovely.

Our guide told us that mostly tourists use the baths. The city has tried to encourage young people to go by scheduling concerts there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Szechenyi+Baths&client=firefox-a&hs=tEH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sJPIUo-ZOc7hoAS3tIGYDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=736

Wow, those are some amazing photos. Does the facility really look that good? Nice and clean and well-kept? During your visit, did you use the baths or just tour the facility?

Pictures are always better than reality. Keep in mind: everything there even a towel requires extra fee (cash is the only option). Pools are rather small, so expect a lot of people inside unless the water is really cold.

Pictures are always better than reality. Keep in mind: everything there even a towel requires extra fee (cash is the only option). Pools are rather small, so expect a lot of people inside unless the water is really cold.

Good info. Exactly what I need to know. Thanks again. :)

will the heated pools be warm enough for the outside in late September...trying to decide if it is worth packing a bathing suit...ship has no pool/jacuzzi?

Do you remember how late in the evening they are open? We also want to do an evening river cruise.

Who did you use as a private guide?

will the heated pools be warm enough for the outside in late September...trying to decide if it is worth packing a bathing suit...ship has no pool/jacuzzi?

Do you remember how late in the evening they are open? We also want to do an evening river cruise.

Who did you use as a private guide?

They are open very late, but I’d check the schedule online (just google it)

We never use private guides. It is easy to get there: taxi is very affordable in Budapest. But make sure to ask the final price upfront. Hungarian taxi drivers tend to overcharge tourists especially Americans.

Pictures were amazing.....but not what I expected....these look like open air swimming pools like the Blue Lagoon in Iceland...what is the difference between these baths and public swimming pools?

Pictures were amazing.....but not what I expected....these look like open air swimming pools like the Blue Lagoon in Iceland...what is the difference between these baths and public swimming pools?

Hoping someone can chime in here. We were thinking of making a visit to the baths, but now rethinking. Are they different somehow from lovely outdoor heated pools/ hot tubs? I had envisioned something more like the springs in Iceland or Colorado, not concrete pools (although they look delightful).

Speaking about the Szechenyi baths, where we went, they are supplied by two thermal springs, but are similar to heated pools. There are both indoor and outdoor options, along with sauna-like rooms. The whole facility is mixed gender.

We explored the indoor pools and while the architecture was beautiful, it was a bit strange for us to sit in varying temperatures of water with strangers. I'm glad we tried it, but I probably wouldn't return.

We booked our baths ticket through our hotel and they were nice enough to provide a "kit" with a towel, flip-flops, shampoo and body wash. Otherwise, you'll want to pack those things on your own.

Here are some of the pictures from our experience at Szechenyi Baths:

Outside

26AE399A-A317-4756-912C-4BBA144E1573.JPG

When you book a changing room (more expensive than locker):

C46B11B0-6C7E-436C-A509-6320C13FBB54.JPG

8DEC0961-AC99-41A6-B0E0-0DC50ACB2847.JPG

2B417FBA-7F20-4DEA-9F56-5564D0C72BC0.JPG

163270CD-E9E3-4B12-A6E1-C797668025E0.JPG

There was a small cafe/restaurant in this building:

7AD8ABBE-33D8-4DD3-BF27-CE44AFDAC5D6.JPG

I didn't get any pictures of the inside baths, but it was surprisingly large inside. The whole place feels a little dirty, but not terrible. I was definitely glad to have flip flops to walk around in though.

We took the subway/metro to the Szechenyi Baths and it was very easy to get there. The baths are a 5-minute walk from the subway stop.

Hope that helps!

AttilaTheFun, Thank you for providing more details. Since we only have two days in Budapest, I think this won't make the top of our priority list.

AttilaTheFun, Thank you for providing more details. Since we only have two days in Budapest, I think this won't make the top of our priority list.

No worries. Let me know if you have any other questions about Budapest. I started posting a review of our Danube river cruise, but never finished the Vienna/Budapest parts.

Atilla, what hotel were you at that supplied the kit for the baths? Sounds like a nice hotel that cares about its guests.

Atilla, what hotel were you at that supplied the kit for the baths? Sounds like a nice hotel that cares about its guests.

The Four Seasons Gresham Palace, which is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at. If you want to splurge, I highly recommend it!

I'm leaning this way as well. Thanks to all for your info. Very helpful.

We visited the Szechenyi baths and it was not for us.

Instead, we spent part of an afternoon at a wonderful spa which was also a wonderful value.

Instead, we spent part of an afternoon at a wonderful spa which was also a wonderful value.

This sounds more to our liking. Could you share the info , pls?

No worries. Let me know if you have any other questions about Budapest. I started posting a review of our Danube river cruise, but never finished the Vienna/Budapest parts.

To stay on topic I am going to start a new thread on Budapest - I would love to hear your input.

I really enjoyed the pictures and I've been to the Blue Lagoon...but quite honestly, while it looks beautiful, the phrase "a little dirty" really put me off...there are too many other wonderful things to see and do in Budapest without risking athlete's foot!:)

We are going to be in Budapest in late October. Would you recommend the indoor baths? I really like saunas and whirlpools, but, my DH doesn't. I don't know if I'm being selfish taking the time for this when we are only going to be in Budapest for 2 days. But, this sounds like something I'd really enjoy?

We are going to be in Budapest in late October. Would you recommend the indoor baths? I really like saunas and whirlpools, but, my DH doesn't. I don't know if I'm being selfish taking the time for this when we are only going to be in Budapest for 2 days. But, this sounds like something I'd really enjoy?

Hi gramma of 5 (I am one too:))....I saw photos of the baths during the European Figure Skating champonships.....they looked beautiful but in all honesty they looked like public swimming pools in a really beautiful setting. If what you're looking for is a sauna and whirlpool and you only have 2 days in Budapest (which has tons of cool stuff to see and do) why don't you look for a hotel with a spa or an indoor pool and jacuzzi..not only would it be cleaner but DH could be relaxing in your room while you're soaking in the hotel jacuzzi after a long day of sightseeing! A win/win:D

We are also making plans for Budapest! and everyone says "oh, the baths", but to be perfectly honest, it's not an interest of ours. We are not "spa" or pool people at home ( or anywhere else) and with a short visit, I also think we are inclined to spend more time doing other things that are more meaningful to us.

I hope our tour guide will take us to one of the baths to see the culture and architecture, I'm not suggesting that one shouldn't try local experiences, but OTOH, in a big city there are museums, nature trails in the parks, restaurants, markets, baths, performances, etc If one is going to commit 2+ hours to a particular experience, I'd prefer it be one that already lines up with my own interests (ie interested in nature- do a hike, foodie- go to the restaurants, shopper- go to the market) So I'm glad I found this thread, it's making me feel OK about saying, the baths aren't some thing I must do!

But Atilla- your photos are lovely, that looks like a neat experience for you!

Edited by Familygoboston

Viking Aegir Mar 22, 2014 with extended stay in Prague. Has anyone else been on this cruise or going? Any advice is appreciated.

M