Cosmetics for sale on board

jwh

What brands of makeup are available on board and are the prices comparable to prices on land in US or are they more expensive/cheaper etc? Are the shops similar on all the ships? I will be on Zaandam if this makes any difference. Many thanks in advance.

I don't buy cosmetics on a ship -- they don't even have my brand of perfume.

It can be cheaper as it is supposed to be duty free.

Here in PA we have to pay state and local taxes on all those products which can add up quickly. On a ship you don't pay those taxes -- thus you save some money there.

The shops are the same on all ships. But there is no guarantee that their supplies are replenished each cruise.

I prefer to shop for those items in Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Maarten.

I have purchased my Clinique eye cream and Estee Lauder face cream at the shops. The prices are $3-5 cheaper, plus I save the 9.75% sales tax that I pay in my state.

One thing to be cautious about when shopping at "duty-free" stores on shore is that the prices may be in Euros. Often the Euro price is the same as the USD price you pay at home, so you think you are getting a deal by saving the tax. But you then pay a 1/3 markup for the conversion of Euro to USD. Right now the Euro is $1.37. So - not such a deal! I have never found the prices on shore or at airport shops any better. The prices on the ship do save you a little, but selections are limited.

A couple of years back I bought Clinique at about a third if the price we pay here in Sydney, but the dollar was higher then.

We are just off RCCL, I imagine their prices are similar, I got my daughter a 200ml ( that's a double size) dramatically different moisturising lotion for about US$38 and the cleanser she likes which is called something like mild facial wash for about US$15. So MUCH cheaper than home.

Any ship that sails through Australia or NZ with Clinique at these sort if prices sells out very quickly so no problems around here with old stock :)