Question on Bon Voyage wine limit

BillyBoy013

I leave in 2 weeks on the Victory for a 5 night Eastern Caribbean cruise - yay, it's a frigid 10 degrees here today! Last February for my 5 day Inspiration cruise I pre-ordered 6 bottles of wine through Bon Voyage to be delivered to my cabin on the day of departure. I tried to do the same for my upcoming cruise but am told there is now a 2 bottle limit. Just wondereing if anyone knows the rationale behind this decision. I realize Carnival wants you coming to the bar and collecting the gratuity each time you order, but why wuold they really care when you are paying $35 for a bottle of wine that you can buy at a store for $10 - $12? Just wondering.

Edited by BillyBoy013

Nov 2013 on the Conquest 8-day, ordered 2 bottles of vodka, 5 bottles of wine and the beer/cooler package. They said alcohol is limited to 2 per cabin. I cancelled 1 vodka and was then OK. Wine apparently didn't count in the 2 per cabin. :)

I did this via telephone, not online.

I don't know the rationale but can guess it's to keep passengers from starting a black market.

You buy 10, 20, 50 bottles of wine. Then sell it to passengers for $5 a glass. Not only will you make your money back, but you will be selling it for less than Carnival charges which hurts their bottom line.

The obvious answer of course is that the more you have in your Cabin, the less chance you will buy at the bars and restaurants. They would much rather you buy by the glass and not bottle. ;)