Nickle and dime

bonniboo1

I think that I am feeling cranky from the sub zero weather, but I feel that I just want to say this. In my opinion NCL and the other cruise lines aren't nickle and diming us, they are merely giving us choices. I would rather have the option of paying extra for something if I want it instead of having it built into my cruise fare.

If I wanted everything included, I would go on an ultra expensive cruise. I feel that I have always gotten decent value from all 3 lines that I have sailed with. NCL is still my favorite though.

There, I feel better now.

Bonni

I would agree too that they are choices and we can choose or not choose them. The only concern I have with so many speciality restaurants on one ship, is what is left to serve at the "included" restaurants? You can't charge for something in one and have it free in another and it just looks like the dining options have declined in variety and quality in the included restaurants, from the past. One or two specialities, it's not so noticeable, still serve some upscale food in the MDR. More specialties, less upscale in MDR. Fortunately, I am not a foodie! :)

debbie

Apparently there wasn't a charge when bowling was first introduced and someone asked why they began charging at a M&G I attended. You're right, there were people spending so much time there, not just avid bowlers but others just playing around, that it created problems for the crew trying to manage the situation. There were even some altercations between passengers. The small fee fixed the problem.

I can see altercations easily... agreed the fee changed everything. on all my ncl cruises I don't recall anyone bowling. if they did its few and far between, give me a choice between bowling (fee) and a cocktail (fee)...hmmm let me think........I choose cocktail!!!!! lol I guess im not the only one. however I do have coworkers who sail NCL and they LOVE the bowling.

Here is my nickel and dime story. We booked a cruise on NCL several months ago and paid for our air through NCL at that time. When we got our documents this past week we notice that we are listed as "stand-by" for the first leg of our flight home. When I brought this issue up I was told that the only seats available on the aircraft were upcharge preferred seats. I asked that NCL pay the difference to ensure we got on that flight. They refused so I reluctantly agreed to pay the upcharge so that we were able to get home and not get stuck at an airport overnight waiting for a flight the next day. It seems to me that this is cheap and patently ridiculous but since we have sailed on NCL before we know that they drag their heels at anything that might cost the company a few dollars. Keeping their guests happy is secondary to the bottom line. This will be our third vacation on NCL and we only choose them because of itinerary, if there is a similar sailing on another line we would certainly prefer them over NCL.

Apparently there wasn't a charge when bowling was first introduced and someone asked why they began charging at a M&G I attended. You're right, there were people spending so much time there, not just avid bowlers but others just playing around, that it created problems for the crew trying to manage the situation. There were even some altercations between passengers. The small fee fixed the problem.

Well, somebody got their facts mixed up....:(

I was on the very first W Caribbean sailing for the Norwegian Pearl and there was a charge for bowling. This fact was also mentioned in numerous threads (see post #4 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8701480)

Count me as another cruiser that is happy and willing to pay for what is important to them. I have never been a fan of the banquet feel that MDR's on cruises have to me. I much prefer the feel of the specialty restaurants. I would pay a small fee to eat the same MDR food in a specialty restaurant. I like the service and ambience that much better. When you add in the actual food served at the specialty restaurants along with a UDP for about $20 extra dollars a day pp for DH and myself on our next cruise well as DH said when I explained this newest offering to him "That's a no brainier.". We were definitely on the same page.

People pay to have a bigger cabin or a view and balcony so upgrading your food is on the same level as that to me. We booked an inside cabin for our next cruise with easy access to an outside deck. This was about $1500 dollars cheaper for the 2 of us for the week than a basic balcony cabin. With tips It will cost us about $300 for the week to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant and leave us with $1200 to spend at 4 ports. Same amount of money but spent in a way that helps contribute to making wonderful memories for you. I like having choices!:)

Edited by Karysa

I would agree too that they are choices and we can choose or not choose them. The only concern I have with so many speciality restaurants on one ship, is what is left to serve at the "included" restaurants? You can't charge for something in one and have it free in another and it just looks like the dining options have declined in variety and quality in the included restaurants, from the past. One or two specialities, it's not so noticeable, still serve some upscale food in the MDR. More specialties, less upscale in MDR. Fortunately, I am not a foodie! :)

debbie

Honestly I dont think the specialty restaurants have effected the food in the MDR. I think it is certainly easier to feed a restaurant of 100 people versus the large MDR setting on ships so the food in the specialties should come out freshly cooked and hot. I think NCL's MDR food is about the same as other lines I have been on. Having said that, the food on most cruise lines has gone downhill a bit, probably due to costs but no different than NCL. I love the choices and also eat in the MDR on longer cruises and the food is very good.

Count me as another cruiser that is happy and willing to pay for what is important to them. I have never been a fan of the banquet feel that MDR's on cruises have to me. I much prefer the feel of the specialty restaurants. I would pay a small fee to eat the same MDR food in a specialty restaurant. I like the service and ambience that much better. When you add in the actual food served at the specialty restaurants along with a UDP for about $20 extra dollars a day pp for DH and myself on our next cruise well as DH said when I explained this newest offering to him "That's a no brainier.". We were definitely on the same page.

People pay to have a bigger cabin or a view and balcony so upgrading your food is on the same level as that to me. We booked an inside cabin for our next cruise with easy access to an outside deck. This was about $1500 dollars cheaper for the 2 of us for the week than a basic balcony cabin. With tips It will cost us about $300 for the week to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant and leave us with $1200 to spend at 4 ports. Same amount of money but spent in a way that helps contribute to making wonderful memories for you. I like having choices!:)

Karysa. Great point of view.. Love it.

Well, somebody got their facts mixed up....:(

I was on the very first W Caribbean sailing for the Norwegian Pearl and there was a charge for bowling. This fact was also mentioned in numerous threads (see post #4 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8701480)

I always remember a charge as well but I still think the nominal fee to bowl just discourages people from hogging the lanes so that others can enjoy them too.

Wow I beat the correctors!:D. Change every MEAL to every DINNER! Phew that was close!;)

Edited by Karysa

I always remember a charge as well but I still think the nominal fee to bowl just discourages people from hogging the lanes so that others can enjoy them too.

Very true, but couldn't we say that about ANYTHING with a charge? Make an item free and tons of people will want it. Put a charge on it, whether nominal or significant, and there will be a decrease in demand.

Very true, but couldn't we say that about ANYTHING with a charge? Make an item free and tons of people will want it. Put a charge on it, whether nominal or significant, and there will be a decrease in demand.

You couldn't PAY me to play bingo! My time is much too valuable. My mother on the other hand plays 2-3 times per week ( for many years) and it's not free.

Edited by Karysa

Here is my nickel and dime story. We booked a cruise on NCL several months ago and paid for our air through NCL at that time. When we got our documents this past week we notice that we are listed as "stand-by" for the first leg of our flight home. When I brought this issue up I was told that the only seats available on the aircraft were upcharge preferred seats. I asked that NCL pay the difference to ensure we got on that flight. They refused so I reluctantly agreed to pay the upcharge so that we were able to get home and not get stuck at an airport overnight waiting for a flight the next day. It seems to me that this is cheap and patently ridiculous but since we have sailed on NCL before we know that they drag their heels at anything that might cost the company a few dollars. Keeping their guests happy is secondary to the bottom line. This will be our third vacation on NCL and we only choose them because of itinerary, if there is a similar sailing on another line we would certainly prefer them over NCL.

What does the fine print read regarding NCL air? What is your obligation to take the flight or type of seat assigned? I would not be happy but $20 bucks pp would not be where my line is drawn. I might send a :mad: e-mail though.:D

The pictures I've seen of the pizza look fantastic! Order before midnight or it's $8.95. It's my understanding that this isn't just "room service", but that you can have the pizza delivered anywhere - like lounging by the pool, etc. Is this true?[/

$3.95 is NOT charged after midnight for pizza delivery. It states that on the room service menu therefore it is only $5.00 no matter what time you order pizza or where you have it delivered.

Harriet

The pictures I've seen of the pizza look fantastic! Order before midnight or it's $8.95. It's my understanding that this isn't just "room service", but that you can have the pizza delivered anywhere - like lounging by the pool, etc. Is this true?[/

$3.95 is NOT charged after midnight for pizza delivery. It states that on the room service menu therefore it is only $5.00 no matter what time you order pizza or where you have it delivered.

Harriet

Not that I plan on ordering a Pizza but I was wondering about that.

Thanks Harriet.

How does the paying for the entertainment work? Do you get a ticket? I guess your card is scanned, so do some pay at the door going into the entertainment? If so, does this cause lines? :)

Whilst I believe there are a couple of other things like a wine show on the Getaway for example, this question principally relates the Cirque on the Epic/Breakaway and the Illusionarium on the Getaway.

For those, you will most likely have prebooked, as it is usually full. No shows are a lot less likely when people have committed to paying, so I'm not even sure they have a reserve line like they do in the theatre.

If you book before the cruise you pay then by credit card. If you book on the cruise it is charged to your room. You don't need to do anything on the night other than show your room card.

If there is any space left and people turn up on the night and get in then, even if they have to take the room details from them to charge it, there will be so few people doing it that it shouldn't cause any queue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

I think that I am feeling cranky from the sub zero weather, but I feel that I just want to say this. In my opinion NCL and the other cruise lines aren't nickle and diming us, they are merely giving us choices. I would rather have the option of paying extra for something if I want it instead of having it built into my cruise fare.

If I wanted everything included, I would go on an ultra expensive cruise. I feel that I have always gotten decent value from all 3 lines that I have sailed with. NCL is still my favorite though.

There, I feel better now.

Bonni

I completely agree! I am so tired of hearing that they nickel and dime you! They are just offering you options. Some cruises we go on the cheap and don't take any add on. And we have a great time I might add!

and other times we splurge for all bells and whistles it is our choice and I love having that choice! I see it as a choice not being nickel and dimed if they want an all inclusive then they should go to the more expensive lines. These people just want everything for nothing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app