The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

Dan and Barbara,

I am so sorry you have had such rotten luck. It was bad enough being pick pocketed in Rotterdam but to have your home broken into and your car stolen. I just cannot imagine how we would take the news so far from home. You two certainly have the right attitude. I hope the rest of your voyage is fantastic and that the seas are calm.

Jennie

CC member O'Briendan (Dan and Barbara) are two such people. Dan's pocket was picked on a land tour before they boarded the ship in Rotterdam.

Doesn't that just put into perspective any whining or complaining that anyone might be tempted to toss around?? I shall presume to offer a prayer:

May God bless Dan and Barbara and see them safely through a the rest of this journey and, then, safely home. May the Lord send angels to protect their home and may their stolen possession to recovered. Amen.

Doesn't that just put into perspective any whining or complaining that anyone might be tempted to toss around?? I shall presume to offer a prayer:

May God bless Dan and Barbara and see them safely through a the rest of this journey and, then, safely home. May the Lord send angels to protect their home and may their stolen possession to recovered. Amen.

Amen!

I am so sorry to hear that something bad has happened to two very nice people! Our thoughts and prayers are with them!

As this cruise winds down we have a day at sea before our two final ports of St. Anthony and Cornerbrooke, Newfoundland. Last night the seas were the roughest we've had---dishes (some with entrees on 'em) were falling in the dining room.

We spent time today in the eye of whatever this storm is, and expect the seas to get rougher again tonight. The captain (? I think it was the captain) said something about 60 MPH winds. As I draft this post I'm sitting in the Lido at the first table in the overhang. You know---the one where you can watch the forward section rise then slam down.

Some of the splashes look (from here) like they're reaching Lower Promenade.

Neat. :)

Tonight we'll be in formal wear as we pass through iceberg alley. The forecast is for a warm, sunny day tomorrow.

I hope so.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, too. How horrible to have this happen anytime ... but especially when you're on holiday.

We have a friend here who was pickpocketed while visiting his daughter who's attending school in Paris. Imagine the perp's face when he opened his wallet to see his military I.D. and his Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department shield! It can happen to anyone in a flash.

As I draft this post I'm sitting in the Lido at the first table in the overhang. You know---the one where you can watch the forward section rise then slam down.

Some of the splashes look (from here) like they're reaching Lower Promenade.

Neat.

Sounds GREAT! I can see the waves wash over the forward bow it in my minds eye! Slamming is a "trip." I especially enjoy how some people turn green when they see it.

Can't believe your cruise is "winding down." It seems like only yesterday that you were posting your message to start this thread before departing. :) Lovely sea voyages are always like that, aren't they? You wait forever for them to begin, and then before you know it they're over.

Can't believe your cruise is "winding down." It seems like only yesterday that you were posting your message to start this thread before departing. :) Lovely sea voyages are always like that, aren't they? You wait forever for them to begin, and then before you know it they're over.

Neither can I, Ruth? Wow! It seems like you just boarded and started this thread. God, it's hard to believe your 35-day sailing is coming to an end so soon. Of course, I guess the same thing will happen with my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in January, though I sure hope it doesn't. :) I'd like to be on just one sailing where I was happy to finally see disembarkation day roll around. :) Maybe on a World Cruise?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ruth,

So you are in a storm. The falling dishes reminds me of the terrible storm two years ago coming out of Nuuk, Greenland. There was a lot of dishes breaking in the DR that night too. Hope it wasn't that bad. It certainly adds some excitement to your trip. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Maasdam will miss Irene. You don't need another storm before you get back to Boston.

Enjoy your last two ports. May you have better luck getting ashore in St. Anthony tomorrow than we did last year. Remember how foggy it was and the tenders had to get us to shore by using radar? What are you planning on doing there? Wasn't too much to see or do there as I recall.

Till the next installment. Adele

:) I'd like to be on just one sailing where I was happy to finally see disembarkation day roll around. :) Maybe on a World Cruise?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Uh, Kryos... we did one of those. We've also done seven and 10 night cruises. After the world tour, it was infinitely more difficult to leave the ship than after the short ones. On the short cruises, you know you are living a dream and that reality is just around the corner. After 3 months or so, shipboard life IS reality and the thought of going back to another life is soooooooooooo unthinkable.

Last night the seas calmed, the clouds cleared, and there was a blinding sunset. Later on there were reports of the Northern Lights accented by a moon above. Then this morning dawned bright and beautiful. It was a perfect day to head out in a small boat to search for icebergs and whales.

Alas, it's too late in the season for icebergs---even this far north. They've all melted by sometime in July. But it's not too late for whales! Humpbacks live in these waters until November, then winter off the coast of the Dominican Republic.

Hummm. Going to the Caribbean for the winter. Do you suppose that's where humans got the idea? :confused:

Anyway, I don't know how many different whales we saw since they kept moving ( and so did we), but I do know we saw a momma and her calf feeding. They drove mackeral close in where there was no escape, then devoured them. I could see the water roil with action!

I have to say I got pretty good at spotting the green in the water which comes right before the water spout. And THAT comes right before the whale breeches. The tail came up straight and proud more than once.

You are thinking the same thing I am:

One more port tomorrow (Cornerbrooke) then two days at sea, and this cruise will be over.

Where has the time gone?

Ruth,

To us it seems an age since we embarked and left Boston on the ship but to you it probably only seems like yesterday. We have done so much since leaving the Maasdam and of course we have settled back into our old way of life here in Oz.

You are so lucky to have seen so many whales. What a thrill! We did see such a lot of icebergs when we went up Prince Christian Sound back in July so I daresay you are not too disappointed at not seeing anymore.

I hope your last three days are full of fun and you will not be too sad at disembarking. Think on the bright side, you will not have to share a room after 3 more nights with your "wonderful roommate". Surely that is one compensation for leaving the ship.

Jennie

Uh, Kryos... we did one of those. We've also done seven and 10 night cruises. After the world tour, it was infinitely more difficult to leave the ship than after the short ones. On the short cruises, you know you are living a dream and that reality is just around the corner. After 3 months or so, shipboard life IS reality and the thought of going back to another life is soooooooooooo unthinkable.

Oh, dear ... then I guess there is just no hope for me, huh? :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh, dear ... then I guess there is just no hope for me, huh?

No, rita ... none. Though, I must admit that with a cruise of 21 - 30 days one feels as though one has truly rested and fully enjoyed the ship. Leaving, while not a joy, is nevertheless acceptable. For me, at least, after staying aboard for a large percentage of a month I've reached the point where I'm ready to return to work. Of course, I don't think I'll have trouble with longer tenures ... like 60 or so days circling the Pacific. :D

It was a beautiful, sunny morning sailing in to Corner Brook, Newfoundland. For the first time in perhaps two years I was in the Lido while the Maasdam was still sailing up the Bay of Islands to our berth. It was a perfect morning to eat breakfast outdoors in the clean, fresh Canadian air under the clear, blue sky.

By 8:00 AM I was setting off on another all-day shore excursion---this time to Gros Morne National Park. This is another UNESCO World Heritage site (what is it about Newfoundland, anyway, with all these UNESCO sites?:confused: ) based on the geology of the area. We saw films about the collision of the continents then went outside to explore and see the billion-year-old rocks. They rock.

We also had an opportunity to walk trails and visit the museum at Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse and visit Rocky Harbour. We didn't return 'til 5:00 PM. Whew!

So the need to leave the ship and appreciate something is over. We now have two jam-packed sea days (I'll start to jam my packing tomorrow) before real life intrudes. Am I blue? No, can't say I am. Even though I could keep sailing happily, I am glad to have had the opportunity to take this cruise for the last three years.

A bit more fun to be had and it will be time to look forward. After all, I have two more cruises booked! :D

It was a beautiful, sunny morning sailing in to Corner Brook, Newfoundland. For the first time in perhaps two years I was in the Lido while the Maasdam was still sailing up the Bay of Islands to our berth. It was a perfect morning to eat breakfast outdoors in the clean, fresh Canadian air under the clear, blue sky.

By 8:00 AM I was setting off on another all-day shore excursion---this time to Gros Morne National Park. This is another UNESCO World Heritage site (what is it about Newfoundland, anyway, with all these UNESCO sites?:confused: ) based on the geology of the area. We saw films about the collision of the continents then went outside to explore and see the billion-year-old rocks. They rock.

We also had an opportunity to walk trails and visit the museum at Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse and visit Rocky Harbour. We didn't return 'til 5:00 PM. Whew!

So the need to leave the ship and appreciate something is over. We now have two jam-packed sea days (I'll start to jam my packing tomorrow) before real life intrudes. Am I blue? No, can't say I am. Even though I could keep sailing happily, I am glad to have had the opportunity to take this cruise for the last three years.

A bit more fun to be had and it will be time to look forward. After all, I have two more cruises booked! :D

Have a great 2 days relaxing and then Welcome Home !!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful cruise and excursions with us!

Ruth,

Sounds like you had two packed full days in port. Now rest up and get packed for your short trip home. I'll be anxious to talk to you and hear all about it. Get ready for a long call on Sunday. Thank you for taking the time to post on your trip. I have really enjoyed being there with you. Enjoy your last two days at sea. This time sure has gone quickly. You sure do have something to look forward to HAWAII!!!!!!!!!!!! Safe trip home, Adele

Ruth and all...

Thanks for the nice travelogue. I've made plans for the same trip, right after pigs whistle and cows fly. Too many other obligations in my life right now. You'll find several of my newspaper columns waiting for you on your machine for your enjoyment; not the same as reading the NY Times in the Lido, but it'll have to do.

This post came to you live from the ms Newsroomdam.

Archived