The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

The Cruise Critic people gathered en masse this afternoon to (finally!) put faces with names. And such happy faces, too! :) It did seem that we were happy to meet folks who have been looking forward to sharing this adventrue for so long. Twenty-one of us (everyone except judithbiggs and her mother) spent about an hour getting to know each other. HAL graciously provided the Piano Bar for our exclusive use. Thanks, HAL.

Some of you asked that we have calm seas and blue sky. Thank you! That's exactly what we have today. It's warm (even hot, maybe), beautiful blue sky, and flat dark blue sea. There are swimmers enjoying both pools---but few people sitting outside. I wonder why? Don't they know there will be too few days to enjoy this? (The voice of experience, here.) Silly passengers. :rolleyes:

Tonight is our first formal night. You can be sure that eagle-eye RuthC will be checking out which team won The Great Dress-Code War of July 17th!

Ruth: I am glad you had an excellent transition from landlubber to HAL guest! I am looking forward to your reports this week, and like localady, I will miss most of your posts due to being in transit to Amsterdam this week for a few days or pre-cruise sigthtseeing in Belgium and Amsterdam, before setting sail on the Prinsendam on the 26th. Have a great time (as I know you will)!

Dear Ruth: So gald to hear from you! I love that ship. Please get back to us as often as you can and keep us up to date on your cruise. I look forward to reading your posts.

Ruth, I will miss being with you tonight on your first formal night. Sadly, you will have to critique the different modes of dress by yourself(boo ). I will be anxious to hear how people did follow the dress code. I'm sure we'll hear....lol Glad to hear that you are having good weather. Hope that continues. Remember, like Myra said, raise a glass to us at your pre dinner cocktails. Have been thinking of you lots today too. Sounds like you had a nice turn out for your CC party. What an organizer!!!!!!!

Hi Ruth, I know you are having a wonderful time. On your last two Oddyseys, which I enjoyed travelling with you vicariously, one of the first things I looked for was the heading to see which song title you had chosen. On this one, for your first full posting you have chosen one of my favorites, "For the good Times" I know you will have lots of them!!! Keep up the great postings..............jean :cool:

Much earlier picture of Ruth and other "happy wanderers" back when it was only an Accordian bar - lounges were much smaller in those days!

bar1.jpg

Have a great cruise!

Wow what a wonderful photo -- thanks for posting!

We sailed from Boston only last Saturday, and today we are already in France! Did the Maasdam break a trans-Atlantic speed record :confused: , you ask??? No, today we visited the islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon. These are two islands at the mouth of the St. Lawrence River that are not part of Canada---they ended up in French hands after the last treaty with England.

More than one of us observed that the island of St. Pierre is reminiscent of the Falklands (Anglo/French differences aside, but of course). It rugged land carved by wind, sea, and (maybe) retreating glaciers. The trees grow low against the bitter winds. The houses are of the darker, stronger colors seen in the colder climes at the extremes of the earth. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

When the tour passed the cemetery I was one very few who took the opportunity to get off the bus and walk through it. Glad I did, too. :) It reminded me of the cemetery in Nuka Hiva---also a French island, but in the South Pacific. The graves are slightly raised above ground, and are noted with the relationship of the deceased to various people. Sort of like the ribbons on the floral arrangements in the U.S. (granpere, fils, frere, etc.)

I wonder if notations like that are a French custom carried across the seas by emigrants? :confused:

Last night the chief Security Officer hosted our table for formal night. It was a delightful time; I hope he returns some other evening.

And I want you to know that RuthC was not taken away in handcuffs. You can decide for yourself whether or not that's a good thing. ;)

For anyone interested. I had an email from Lizb saying that Shy was her waiter in the DR. She likes him a lot and says he is ot "shy"...lol Since there has been so much discussion about him I thought some of you may be interested in hearing about LizB. Adele

Ruth, I just now found your thread. I have been busy at home and especially here at work. I am sure you found that I left the Maasdam in great shape. Don't you just love the crew. This was definitely one of the best we have ever sailed with. You must say "Hi" to Shy for us. Which dining time do you have? We had table 116 port side window. Toto was great. I am so looking forward to your reviews so we can keep sailing on the Maasdam.

As we were sitting on the plane waiting for take off, we say the Maasdam sailing away. It brought a tear to our eyes but we knew she was in good hands.:)

RuthC-

Your handcuffs comment made me chuckle wildly;) .....But I think the only time you need handcuffs is during the Chocolate extravaganza!!:eek:

Continued Safe seas and blue skies and chocolates on your pillow at night......!:cool:

I also enjoyed visiting St. Pierre-Miquelon. I notice it isn't on the C/NE itineraries any more. Fascinating place. The small patisierrie on the main street was my favorite spot! Authentic French pastries are hard to find! :)

Ruth,

Thank God I found this thread... I still have time to remind you people to save some lobster. Those of us boarding in Rotterdam from the San Juans of Wa State hate to get stuck with crab on formal night :). Glad to hear all is going well, and I can't wait to hook up with everyone in less than two weeks!!! Hopefully all is working well, and we won't have missed ports etc...

See Ya on the 2nd!

Jim mcg

Ruth, thanks so much for sharing your cruise with us! Did you get to meet my parents (GroverKids) Bill & Patti ??? Did they take your picture ??? Oh I hope they remembered to take lots of pictures for me hehehe :)

Hope you all continue to have a great time!

I see that you're in Newfoundland today. I doubt that you'll sail on the Scademia again, but should you be around their pier, please look for Bosun, my favorite Newfie, you know how much i love him.

When we were on your little piece of France, it was bastille Day and everything was closed. Was it foggy? I sure hope you avoid most of the fog we encountered last year.

Well, what about the Piano Bar? Is Mr Forrest still there?

Are the different deck numbers confusing you as much as they did me?

i see that you won't be in Reykjavik until next Monday. Whatcha gonna do there?

...And will you be resurrecting the song titles again?

Green with envy, and blue like the North Atlantic,

GN

Archived