Sneaking alcohol on board cruise ships!

What are your thoughts on sneaking alcohol on board cruises? I've never done it and never would but there are some that do it and get away with it. There are people that even have YouTube videos that show you how to do it. I think that's hilarious yet sad at the same time. Whatever your opinion is, I'd like to hear it.

My opinion is :rolleyes:..In the grand scheme of things..not worth it...but it is apparently to some.

I agree it's not worth it to me, but some people feel that it's worth it to them. Can I respect them sneaking on alcohol, no way. I think it's cheap and very juvenile. It's not fair to others that actually follow the rules and pay for the drink packages or pay for drinks individually.

What are your thoughts on sneaking alcohol on board cruises? I've never done it and never would but there are some that do it and get away with it. There are people that even have YouTube videos that show you how to do it. I think that's hilarious yet sad at the same time. Whatever your opinion is, I'd like to hear it.
I have been on quite a number of small cruise vessels which had no regulations concerning alcohol, and there was not a noticeable difference of passenger decorum [admittedly these smaller ships had a moderately older clientele]. Personally I don't care if RCI bans all alcohol carry-on or does away with the all rules in that area, but I think that RCI should decide what they want to do, and ENFORCE what ever they decide.

If they say "no liquor to be brought on-board" and meant it , they could get rid of 98% of liquor smuggling within two weeks. At check-in have passengers sign a paper that gives them a chance to admit and surrender alcohol, and informs them that anyone caught in violation will be removed from the ship with no refund, and then do it. Will they catch everyone - absolutely not, but if on every ship 400 people smuggle and 200 are caught and thrown off the ship, within two week there will be very little smuggling (are most really willing to bet a cruise for a rum-runner?). The current policy is a JOKE. The "penalty" is they keep the liquor, and if it is a bottle, they even return it at the end of the cruise.

Quite frankly I blame RCI's lack of meaningful enforcement more than I blame the smugglers. Enforce the policy or get rid of it.

Flame suit is on.

I have been on quite a number of small cruise vessels which had no regulations concerning alcohol, and there was not a noticeable difference of passenger decorum [admittedly these smaller ships had a moderately older clientele]. Personally I don't care if RCI bans all alcohol carry-on or does away with the all rules in that area, but I think that RCI should decide what they want to do, and ENFORCE what ever they decide.

If they say "no liquor to be brought on-board" and meant it , they could get rid of 98% of liquor smuggling within two weeks. At check-in have passengers sign a paper that gives them a chance to admit and surrender alcohol, and informs them that anyone caught in violation will be removed from the ship with no refund, and then do it. Will they catch everyone - absolutely not, but if on every ship 400 people smuggle and 200 are caught and thrown off the ship, within two week there will be very little smuggling (are most really willing to bet a cruise for a rum-runner?). The current policy is a JOKE. The "penalty" is they keep the liquor, and if it is a bottle, they even return it at the end of the cruise.

Quite frankly I blame RCI's lack of meaningful enforcement more than I blame the smugglers. Enforce the policy or get rid of it.

Flame suit is on.

I agree Royal should enforce this rule. Kicking someone off for not following the alcohol policy is a bit harsh, but if you follow the rules then you would have nothing to worry about. I blame both royal and the passengers that do it. As adults we should know better and if you can't afford to drink on a cruise then stay home.

I'm subscribing to this thread for entertainment purposes. :D

I think I might start a thread soon that says something like "Can I smuggle alcohol on board, while talking on my phone, carrying my new free towel courtesy of RCI, wearing shorts and my diamond platinum pinnacle pin (that I don't own) to the MDR?"

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

There might be a lot less smuggling if you could buy a bottle for your cabin at a reasonable price.

Understandable, but we all know the rules prior to paying for the cruise. If you go to a restaurant, do you bring your own alcohol if the alcohol prices aren't reasonable? Probably not because you know the consequences of doing it. Royal doesn't seem to be enforcing this rule which they should.

I think I might start a thread soon that says something like "Can I smuggle alcohol on board, while talking on my phone, carrying my new free towel courtesy of RCI, wearing shorts and my diamond platinum pinnacle pin (that I don't own) to the MDR?"

Debbie

You forgot to add smoking.;)

I personally frown upon it. I've cruised with friends that snuck alcohol on ships and I want nothing to do with there alcohol. I personally enjoy sitting at a bar and chatting and meeting new people and having a couple of drinks. I mean come on, drinks on cruise ships are not that expensive compared to a bar or lounge in a city. If you can afford the cruise, then you can afford to set aside some funds for alcohol. I do it.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

I'll be completely and 100% honest... On our last cruise we snuck it on. We're all in college, and the chance to save $100-200 on alcohol alone? Of course we went for it. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Did I still spend money on the ship on alcohol? Of course I did! You can't beat a mixed/frozen drink or an ice cold beer in paradise. I probably spent $100 on the ship in alcohol purchases.

Now in about 5-10 years and you were to ask me the same question, hopefully I will have been employed and have the money to not have to worry about sneaking on the alcohol.

Judge me all you want, just stating my opinion.

;)

Debbie

lol

I love that they've gone to the drink packages. I can pre-pay all my alcohol purchases months in advance of actually boarding the ship, and never worry about it. I have friends who smuggle alcohol and I've never understood it. It's just not worth it to me.

Additionally, there are literally hundreds of threads on this... you can use the Search and type in "smuggling" or "alcohol" and read until your heart's content. :)

This. Can we bury this thread please.

Edited by voyager70

Debbie

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.......That's two GREAT comments on two different threads !!!

I'll be completely and 100% honest... On our last cruise we snuck it on. We're all in college, and the chance to save $100-200 on alcohol alone? Of course we went for it. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Did I still spend money on the ship on alcohol? Of course I did! You can't beat a mixed/frozen drink or an ice cold beer in paradise. I probably spent $100 on the ship in alcohol purchases.

Now in about 5-10 years and you were to ask me the same question, hopefully I will have been employed and have the money to not have to worry about sneaking on the alcohol.

Judge me all you want, just stating my opinion.

;)

Lol I won't judge and the honesty is cool. I'll just leave it at that

Frankly, I don't think that it is anyone's business what I do or don't do. What I choose to bring on board is between me and the cruise line. I do not steal bathrobes, glasses, books or anything else that is not nailed down. I have taken

alcohol on with me. I may not this time with the all inclusive beverage option.

It wasn't always an option. DH & I have discussed it at length. People need to quit worrying about what other people are doing.

Frankly, I don't think that it is anyone's business what I do or don't do. What I choose to bring on board is between me and the cruise line. I do not steal bathrobes, glasses, books or anything else that is not nailed down. I have taken

alcohol on with me. I may not this time with the all inclusive beverage option.

It wasn't always an option. DH & I have discussed it at length. People need to quit worrying about what other people are doing.

You're correct it's no one's business, but it's not fair to the people that actually pay.

It's like going to McDonald's and asking for a cup for water, but when no ones looking you get the soda instead. Lol

Sooo, do you take your food to a restraunt, your own beer to a bar??

If you can afford to drink, pay up and do it fairly to all concerned and stop whining about it! Or get off our ships and let us enjoy them.

We all pay for your not being responsible - the cost of the extra security, extra garbage, extra clean up in your rooms etc. comes from all our tickets, not just those of us that obey the laws.

There are rules in life - most of us live by them. Surprising the number of people that do not.

Flame suit is on.

I didn't agree with kicking passengers off cruises for violating the alcohol policy, but now I'm all for it. I get the sense people think it's a normal thing to do when in fact it's not.

You sneak into a movie they call the cops! You sneak beer into a bar and drink it they call the cops! Why not do the same for cruises