Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

2 hours ago, sarahwalker2007 said:

I see many posts saying that Malaga is a very "walkable" area and that you can really do a DIY tour. My question is are the roads/paths etc wheelchair friendly? One member of our party can't walk far and we are bringing a wheelchair for her. 

thanks!

sarah

My husband now uses a wheelchair Sarah and we have just returned from a 3 night stay in Malaga.  On the whole the city is very wheelchair friendly with well maintained pavements and many of the streets pedestrianised (although some roads are cobbled but we didn't find these any problem).  The castle and Alcazaba would be a problem but museums have lifts for people with mobility issues (we visited the Carmen Thyssen museum this time which I would highly recommend).  By law all businesses should have disabled access - although some ramps can be steep; disabled toilets are usually just in the ladies rather than in both ladies and gents.  Hope this helps but please ask again if you have any further queries..

Edited by campolady

52 minutes ago, campolady said:

My husband now uses a wheelchair Sarah and we have just returned from a 3 night stay in Malaga.  On the whole the city is very wheelchair friendly with well maintained pavements and many of the streets pedestrianised (although some roads are cobbled but we didn't find these any problem).  The castle and Alcazaba would be a problem but museums have lifts for people with mobility issues (we visited the Carmen Thyssen museum this time which I would highly recommend).  By law all businesses should have disabled access - although some ramps can be steep; disabled toilets are usually just in the ladies rather than in both ladies and gents.  Hope this helps but please ask again if you have any further queries..

Campolady, Thank you so much! your response is very helpful. She is able to walk short distances and would likely be happy just to get to see some of the town!

3 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Can only speak from what we saw/did

The walk from the pier to town is long. It is nice and there are sidewalks

Alcazaba has an elevator up YET the halls etc are not wheelchair friendly and there are steps/stairs. that your friend would need to walk (cane perhaps) because a chair wont work

Depending on day--pedestrian streets are crowded with tourists.

How does she normally tour cobblestone streets etc?

The PIcasso Museum is multi level. I suspect there is an elevator. Check the floorplan on their site. If you go--buy tickets online to avoid the line outfront.

We did lunch in a side street that looks vacant--in a small tapas place...very tiny.about 12 high bar stools.  The WC was not HC friendly.  There are lots of lunch options -- worth a look on google maps.

Hope this helps

Others who have been other places can likely share more

Thank you kindly for your response and insight. She is able to walk short distances with her cane and/or Walker, she doesn't use a wheelchair at all but we thought that it would be necessary for this trip.

My mother in law has never actually left Ontario, has never been on a vacation or on an airplane. All new experiences for her so I am trying to be prepared in advance as much as possible.

I appreciate your response and feedback!

• 1 month later...

Hi Campolady, Please could you give me your opinion we dock in Malaga at 9.00 am and the ship leaves at 6.00 pm I was hoping to go to Granada and have read your past posts regarding the timings , the tour co say we will only be able to have a rushed lunch and about 2/5 hours at the Alhambra . I do not want go on this tour if I am going to be on tenterhooks on the return .

Your thoughts would be appreciated !! Roger

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi Campolady, Please could you give me your opinion we dock in Malaga at 9.00 am and the ship leaves at 6.00 pm I was hoping to go to Granada and have read your past posts regarding the timings , the tour co say we will only be able to have a rushed lunch and about 2/5 hours at the Alhambra . I do not want go on this tour if I am going to be on tenterhooks on the return .

Hello - Not sure if this was addressed to me.  I have been to Malaga (beautiful) and have done many tours not related to cruise line.  I would be concerned with the "rushed lunch" comment.  It implies that it could be a very tight schedule and I agree that would leave me very anxious on timing to get back to ship.  Also, "2/5 hours is a very broad time frame".  I always make sure there is a two-hour window returning from a tour in case we need more time.  Do you have other tour options to see visit these locations?

10 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi Roger

If it is a ships excursion the ship should wait until your coach returns in the event of any delay (assuming that your cruiseline operates the same way as the one we use) - obviously they won't wait if you have booked the excursion with another tour company.

However, that sounds a very rushed schedule allowing for the fact you have a minimum of 4 hours travelling time (2 hours each way).

2-5 hours seems very vague - or do you mean 2.5 hours in which case, although the Alhambra is lovely, I would want far more time there.

Personally I would save the Alhambra for another visit and spend your time in Malaga instead - there is so much to see and the Alcazaba is like a mini Alhambra (without the crowds!!!) and well worth a visit.

Edited by campolady

55 minutes ago, campolady said:

Hi Roger

If it is a ships excursion the ship should wait until your coach returns in the event of any delay (assuming that your cruiseline operates the same way as the one we use) - obviously they won't wait if you have booked the excursion with another tour company.

However, that sounds a very rushed schedule allowing for the fact you have a minimum of 4 hours travelling time (2 hours each way).

2-5 hours seems very vague - or do you mean 2.5 hours in which case, although the Alhambra is lovely, I would want far more time there.

Personally I would save the Alhambra for another visit and spend your time in Malaga instead - there is so much to see and the Alcazaba is like a mini Alhambra (without the crowds!!!) and well worth a visit.

Many thanks ! I did read there are road works on the trip and could add 20 mins to the journey  ? And it is only 2/3hrs in Grenada 

26 minutes ago, roger b said:

Many thanks ! I did read there are road works on the trip and could add 20 mins to the journey  ? And it is only 2/3hrs in Grenada 

2-3 hours is definitely not long enough to explore the Alhambra properly.  If it is the only opportunity you will ever  get to go there it is worth a very tiring day but, as I think you are based in Mallorca and therefore assume you can get to mainland Spain, I would save it for a longer more detailed trip and not have the traffic delay worries.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by campolady

Hi everyone,

I need help!  :classic_smile:  Our ship will be docking Malaga on Sunday, Nov. 24 from 10 am until 8:30 pm.  I am trying to decide what to do about a tour.  My original intention was to go to Granada and visit Alhambra as it has been on my bucket list.  I know that it is a long ride from Malaga to Granada and that part is ok with my DH and myself.  It's when we get there that I need advice. 

Realistically, we would leave the port at 10 am so assuming traffic is ok arrive Granada about 12:30 ish.  Map I looked at says 2 hr. 36 min. via A92.    The tour company we were thinking of booking has indicated that there is much walking, stair climbing, uneven surfaces (cobblestone streets) and the tour would be about 3 hrs. of constant walking.  This tour includes an Alhambra visit as well.  Campolady has indicated that 2-3 hr. at Alhambra is not enough so I'm sure that it is not going to be a very in-depth tour with the amount of time we would have.  We are supposed to have "free time" to explore on our own, have lunch, etc.  We would need to head back to the ship no later than 5 pm (2.36 min.) back so we arrive by 7:30 pm for sailaway.  

My questions are:  1)  I have some knee issues and stairs/hills are a challenge so not sure if this is a tour that I should do.  Does Alhambra have an elevator?  2)  Is the amount of walking involved significant enough so I should re-think this tour?  

Even though I would love to visit Alhambra if it would impede my ability to do the walking, etc. I think I would forego the tour and stay in Malaga.  I am also thinking about the time element involved and it seems to me that everything would seem rushed with the guided walks, Alhambra tour, free time, lunch, etc.  Just doesn't seem realistic to me.  However, I would like expert opinions from those that have done this tour so I can decide if I should change it.  "It is what it is" is my philosophy and I can find something else to see.  I guess that I am already answering my own questions.  LOL  Still want opinions.....

Thank you all for your advice....

May

7 hours ago, cruisingmimi said:

Hi everyone,

I need help!  :classic_smile:  Our ship will be docking Malaga on Sunday, Nov. 24 from 10 am until 8:30 pm.  I am trying to decide what to do about a tour.  My original intention was to go to Granada and visit Alhambra as it has been on my bucket list.  I know that it is a long ride from Malaga to Granada and that part is ok with my DH and myself.  It's when we get there that I need advice. 

Realistically, we would leave the port at 10 am so assuming traffic is ok arrive Granada about 12:30 ish.  Map I looked at says 2 hr. 36 min. via A92.    The tour company we were thinking of booking has indicated that there is much walking, stair climbing, uneven surfaces (cobblestone streets) and the tour would be about 3 hrs. of constant walking.  This tour includes an Alhambra visit as well.  Campolady has indicated that 2-3 hr. at Alhambra is not enough so I'm sure that it is not going to be a very in-depth tour with the amount of time we would have.  We are supposed to have "free time" to explore on our own, have lunch, etc.  We would need to head back to the ship no later than 5 pm (2.36 min.) back so we arrive by 7:30 pm for sailaway.  

My questions are:  1)  I have some knee issues and stairs/hills are a challenge so not sure if this is a tour that I should do.  Does Alhambra have an elevator?  2)  Is the amount of walking involved significant enough so I should re-think this tour?  

Even though I would love to visit Alhambra if it would impede my ability to do the walking, etc. I think I would forego the tour and stay in Malaga.  I am also thinking about the time element involved and it seems to me that everything would seem rushed with the guided walks, Alhambra tour, free time, lunch, etc.  Just doesn't seem realistic to me.  However, I would like expert opinions from those that have done this tour so I can decide if I should change it.  "It is what it is" is my philosophy and I can find something else to see.  I guess that I am already answering my own questions.  LOL  Still want opinions.....

Thank you all for your advice....

May

Think you have answered your own questions lol!

No elevator at the Alhambra and a lot of walking/climbing involved on guided walks.

If you stay in Malaga there is however an elevator up to the Alcazaba which is a smaller version of the Alhambra (without the crowds!).

4 hours ago, campolady said:

Think you have answered your own questions lol!

No elevator at the Alhambra and a lot of walking/climbing involved on guided walks.

If you stay in Malaga there is however an elevator up to the Alcazaba which is a smaller version of the Alhambra (without the crowds!).

The Alhambra is almost non stop walking, with stairs to be climbed in Nasrid Palace (the most spectacular area).  Your only opportunity to sit down would be having a quick coffee while waiting for your timed entrance to Nasrid Palace.  If your tour is to Granada and it 'includes a visit to Alhambra' then it is unlikely that you will visit the Nasrid Palace.

The Alhambra is worth at least 4 hours of your time to enjoy it thoroughly.  As campolady says, stay in Malaga and visit the Alcazaba which is much more compact.

Campolady & Vmax1700,

Many thanks for your responses.  My DH and I have decided not to go to Granada given all the issues involved.  The transportation, long bus ride and uncertainty of traffic, road conditions etc. make us re-think the decision.  The biggest deterrent would be the very long walking involved.  Just isn’t worth the trip.  We will find something to do in Malaga and possibly visit Alcazaba with the elevator.  Just talking it out with others makes decisions so much easier.  😄

Thanks again.  

May

cruisingmimi-

This is the official website for the Alhambra and the info about handicapped tours.  You might want to browse through the website before making you final decision.  It would also help when you ask questions of tour companies to compare their offerings.  Maybe you can choose a tour that includes only a visit to the Alhambra and skips the city of Granada.  

IMO- if you have limited time in the Alhambra, the ONE place to visit is the Nasrid palaces.  This requires a timed-entrance ticket.

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/Considerations-about-the-Tour-for-People-with-Disabilities/356+M5d637b1e38d/0/?&cHash=e96dd36b3924986ff12336a14fd5082a

We visited last month and I do recall seeing chairs and benches in various places in the Nasrid palaces and on the grounds. 

Here is a company that does accessible tours:

https://www.wheelytours.com/item/guided-tour-alhambra-granada/

17 hours ago, cruisingmimi said:

Marazul, thank you for that information.  I will check it out.  The ship may have a transportation only bus we could take.  I don’t mind touring on our own and in fact would work out better.  😀

Just to help you plan.  The Nasrid Palaces, the Alcazaba and the Palace of Charles V are all located around the Placeta de los Aljibes.  The walk from the Access Pavilion (ticket office and welcome center) to the Placeta is about 800 meters (a little more than half a mile) long and it takes 10-15 minutes through the gardens.  Both the Parador and the Hotel America-Granada are about half way along the route.  Both are really good places for a lunch or coffee stop.  Here is a walking map from the Pavilion to the Placeta, but all you need to do is follow the signs:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Placeta+de+los+Aljibes/37.1742824,-3.5844386/@37.1761926,-3.5884039,515m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m10!4m9!1m5!1m1!1s0xd71fcb793d62163:0xe7ceaacdd2228732!2m2!1d-3.5909153!2d37.1770971!1m0!3e2!5i1

The Generalife Palace is a long walk from the other sites.  So. in your case, you might want to skip it.

The admission ticket is for all day, but you must choose the timed entrance time to the Nasrid Palaces.  Buy and print the ticket on the website if you want to make sure you can pick your timed entrance time.

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/Visit-the-Alhambra/8+M5d637b1e38d/0/

Don't wait to buy it on arrival, there are lines and the times you want to go in might be gone.  If the transportation only bus takes you to the access Pavilion, pick your entrance time for 1 hour or a little more after you get there.  That will give you time to make your way to the Placeta.  While there, just take a look inside the Charles V Palace to see the amazing round courtyard inside.  It takes 5 minutes to take a look.  There is a line on the Placeta to wait for your admission time to the Nasrid palaces, so get there 15 minutes before.  There are also a couple of cafes and snack places around the Placeta.  You might also want to walk inside the gate of the Alcazaba for a quick look after you see the Nasrid Palaces. 

If you want to see the city of Granada, there is a small ho-ho bus that stops at the Alhambra and takes you around the city.  The circuit is about 1.5 hours.  You will see the signs for the stops while in the Alhambra.  No need to buy tickets ahead of time so you can decide on the spot whether to do it or not. 

https://granada.city-tour.com/en/tourist-train-routes-granada

Frankly, you might want to spend the whole time in the Alhambra, see the gardens, have lunch, etc.  

And a word of caution.  Bring your passport because they might verify that you are the person buying the tickets before you are admitted.  You have to show your tickets a few times before going into some of the venues (Nasrid, Generalife, entrance gate, etc.)  It did happen to us at the very last place we visited, the Generalife.  This is not unusual in many tourist places in Spain.  

Edited by marazul

18 hours ago, cruisingmimi said:

Marazul, thank you for that information.  I will check it out.  The ship may have a transportation only bus we could take.  I don’t mind touring on our own and in fact would work out better.  😀

Here is a picture of the Placeta de los Aljibes (Small Plaza of the Cisterns.)  The large building in front of you is the entrance to the Charles V Palace.  Rotate the picture so you can see the rest.  Directly behind you is the sign to the entrance to the line for the Nasrid palaces (Palacios Nazaries) which are just to the right of the park.  Immediately behind the sign, you see the walls of the Alcazaba.  The entrance gate is just at the left end of the wall.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1768714,-3.5904013,3a,75y,96.74h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNI9XeFlVPIrt7-NZipN4FBIFJhw3z1_jeVQdDV!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNI9XeFlVPIrt7-NZipN4FBIFJhw3z1_jeVQdDV%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi4.558659-ya39.360294-ro-2.9590635-fo100!7i5376!8i2688?hl=en

If you take the ho-ho bus into Granada, there is a stop at the Puerta de la Justicia (Justice Gate) near the corner of the Charles V Palace. You passed it walking into the Placeta.  On the way back, there is a stop near the Access Pavilion.

https://granada.city-tour.com/en/tourist-train-routes-granada/ruta-diurna

For that matter, if the transportation only bus takes you to Granada and not to the Alhambra, you can take the ho-ho bus into the grounds to the Justice Gate and then back to your starting point.  Just make sure you have your Alhambra tickets and passports  with you.   

Marazul - all I can say is WOW!  Thank you for all that wonderful information.  I will look it over.  I tried to contact NCL today to see if they are offering transportation only and there was a long wait (of course) so I got tired of waiting.  I will try again later this evening as most people may be in bed.  lol  The website indicates one tour to Granada from the port but it was vague about what it was offering.  Thank you again.

May

15 hours ago, cruisingmimi said:

Marazul - all I can say is WOW!  Thank you for all that wonderful information.  I will look it over.  I tried to contact NCL today to see if they are offering transportation only and there was a long wait (of course) so I got tired of waiting.  I will try again later this evening as most people may be in bed.  lol  The website indicates one tour to Granada from the port but it was vague about what it was offering.  Thank you again.

May

Hope it works and you don't have to give up your bucket list.

Happy travels!

• 2 months later...

Hi

Phew just read all pages to this thread, but I have a couple of questions that I have not seen mentioned.

We will be arriving on RCCL March 11, 2020. So average wise, what type of weather can we expect then. We are from the Northeast in the US so we don't mind cold, but temp wise, about what can we expect.

We are both seniors. I have a little mobility issue, in that I use a walking stick when we are wondering around towns. We were considering the HoHo bus, just to get us around and to the top without struggling along. That said, I went on Trip Advisor and saw these tours with these little cars for, what seemed like a very reasonable price. Do you know anything about these things or the companies that use them. We also considered a Segway thing, but the last time my DW tried that, well, let's just say it didn't go according to plan.

I am an avid amateur photographer, and love the winding narrow streets in many European cities. I would assume Malaga would be another that I would love? Anyplace special in the city that stands out more in that request and if we decided to do the HoHo would that get us there?

Thanks for all your time and help with many of these questions.

Cheers

Len

• 2 months later...

Campolady,

Thank you for all of the helpful information n this thread!  I read the notes about Sunday.  My ship will be arriving in Malaga on Easter Sunday, which will likely limit options.   It would be lovely to go to church in Malaga for Easter; I assume the churches will be crowded and dress more formal than in the U.S.

Any comments on what to expect in Malaga that day or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

On 1/9/2014 at 12:07 AM, campolady said:

We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

Wow,

Thank you for your generosity.  We will be staying the day there in November and we have mobility issues.  Group tours do not lend well to this and I wonder if you have ever heard of cruisers hiring a taxi for the day for a tour of some of the sights you mentioned?  Also, what would be a good taxi company and what would the pricing look like.

Once again thank you for your information.

B

WOW:classic_biggrin:.... this thread is very long....I haven't read it all but will be going to Malaga for the first time

in April.

I am not going to Alhambra so will be spending the day in Malaga....question that may have been

answered but like I said, I didn't go back to page 1.

I am wondering if anyone knows about any culinary/food/drink tours that are available? I know many

European cities offer them and it is fun way to spend part of the day. I will look on Trip Advisor but

thought maybe some of you wonderful folks might know as well.:classic_smile:

Thanks so much.

Campolady: we've been to Malaga, Granada and the Alhambra before & we're thinking about going to Cordoba instead. Our ship arrives in Malaga at 8:30 am & DEPARTS @ 10:30PM. Is it worth the long ride & do you have any recommendations for tour operators that you've used ?

Edited by dabear

2 hours ago, dabear said:

Campolady: we've been to Malaga, Granada and the Alhambra before & we're thinking about going to Cordoba instead. Our ship arrives in Malaga at 8:30 am & DEPARTS @ 10:30PM. Is it worth the long ride & do you have any recommendations for tour operators that you've used ?

Not Campolady, but Cordoba is 1 hour by train from Malaga and there is at least one train per hour every day. The station in Malaga is near the port, 15 minutes by taxi.  The station in Cordoba is 25 minutes on foot from the Mosque-Cathedral or 15 minutes by taxi.  You have plenty of time to go there.  

Here is the link for the trains:

https://renfe.spainrail.com/

If you have a private tour there by car, the drive is almost 2 hours.  

Hello Campolady,

I have enjoyed reading through your many posts and they have been very helpful.  You are a wonderful resource.   We are traveling to Malaga in October 2020.  Our cruise ship comes in at 10:30AM.  Sadly we lose  a good hour and a half by the late arrival.   We are very interested in going to Ronda for the day.   We have about 7 hours to do this.   In your opinion would this be a wise choice due to our limited time.   So many tours plan a full day for this tour.   We appreciate any other individual comments as well.   Thank you!