Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

Hello Campolady. Would you recommend going to the castle late afternoon and staying to watch the sunset at the Parador? Do you think it's wise to take the #35 bus after dark? I can't find a schedule for the bus to confirm that it still runs after the castle has closed. Could we easily get a cab if not, or would it be crazy expensive?

We're docked from 11:00-9:00. My tentative plan for the day is this:

- walk to cathedral (~ 1hr including the gardens?)

- walk to Roman Theater and Alcazaba (~2 hours? No idea how long...)

- walk up to castle (~30min) and walk all around walls (~1hr)

- walk down to Parador for sunset (should be around 6:20 at the end of October, per the internet)

- take #35 bus back to port area and wander around a bit before getting back on board

Is there any other spot you recommend for the sunset in case we decide to reverse the plan and take the bus straight up to the castle?

I love to walk and it can take me longer than most because I stop constantly for pictures. There may be others in my group though who are not as eager to climb the hill.

Any other suggestions for things a photographer would not want to miss?

Thanks so much for helping us out on these boards. :)

Hello Campolady. Would you recommend going to the castle late afternoon and staying to watch the sunset at the Parador? Do you think it's wise to take the #35 bus after dark? I can't find a schedule for the bus to confirm that it still runs after the castle has closed. Could we easily get a cab if not, or would it be crazy expensive?

We're docked from 11:00-9:00. My tentative plan for the day is this:

- walk to cathedral (~ 1hr including the gardens?)

- walk to Roman Theater and Alcazaba (~2 hours? No idea how long...)

- walk up to castle (~30min) and walk all around walls (~1hr)

- walk down to Parador for sunset (should be around 6:20 at the end of October, per the internet)

- take #35 bus back to port area and wander around a bit before getting back on board

Is there any other spot you recommend for the sunset in case we decide to reverse the plan and take the bus straight up to the castle?

I love to walk and it can take me longer than most because I stop constantly for pictures. There may be others in my group though who are not as eager to climb the hill.

Any other suggestions for things a photographer would not want to miss?

Thanks so much for helping us out on these boards. :)

Hi ScrappyTraveller,

Your itinerary sounds excellent and the timings pretty accurate.

Sunset from the Parador terrace is spectacular so I would stick to that plan. The 35 bus will still be running and there are no safety issues when using it after dark although the bus stop outside the Parador is not well lit. Personally, for ease, I would ask the Parador staff to call you a cab back down which should cost at most 10 Euros.

If you do switch your plans round another great spot to watch the sun go down is at the rooftop bar terrace of the Hotel Larios on the main pedestrianized street Avenida Larios.

The whole of Old Malaga is a photographers delight so you will be stopping to take pictures very frequently. Don' t miss a wander around the back streets and alleyways around the Picasso Museum, Calle Granada and in between the Plaza de la Constitucion and the Cathedral area. And don' t forget to make time to sample at least one glass of the famous Malaga Wines (fortified wines similar to Sherry) LOL.

Have a wander around Muelle Uno (Pier One) at the cruise terminal on your way back to the ship - a new development with lots of shops, bars and restaurants and a great vibe.

Hope this helps.

By the way although late October daytime temperatures are still very pleasant, it does go quite chilly as soon as the sun starts to go down. Another good reason to take a cab back rather than standing at a bus stop in the cool air.

Edited by campolady

I am glad I have found this forum.I just booked a cruise for Oct.2015 and have two days in Malaga and are planning on Granada for a day to see the Alhambra.Just wondering if we could take a train to get there or if we should do a tour.My husband is not big on tours but will do one if it is the best option.Second day we will spend in Malaga doing some of the things that I read on this forum.Thanks for all the info.

I am glad I have found this forum.I just booked a cruise for Oct.2015 and have two days in Malaga and are planning on Granada for a day to see the Alhambra.Just wondering if we could take a train to get there or if we should do a tour.My husband is not big on tours but will do one if it is the best option.Second day we will spend in Malaga doing some of the things that I read on this forum.Thanks for all the info.

If I was going to do Granada on my own from Malaga, I would rent a car. The train connections to Granada are poor, the station is on the other side of the city from the Alhambra and you have at least 2 hours each way minimum by train.

As the Alhambra is one of the best attractions anywhere in the world, I would highly recommend a tour for this one. Considering transit times, crowds, set visiting times on tickets and the value of the attraction. The tour companies have their own line for entrance and they will get you to all the highlights easily and the transfer will be much easier on you.

No direct train service from Malaga to Granada but there is a frequent (but 2 hours long) bus service www.alsa.es You would need to arrange tickets for the Alhambra well ahead of your trip (tickets can be booked up to 3 months in advance) and, as you only have a half hour window for the Nasrid Palace section of the Alhambra from the time slot you are given on your ticket, you need to get a bus that allows you plenty of time to get up to the Palace from Granada bus station (there is a minibus service or a long walk). Tickets can be purchased at http://www.ticketmaster.es/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_alhambra/index.html?loce=es-sayt?q=alhambra&t=fast

A tour would be much easier as admission to the Nasrid Palace is arranged for you; however, you do tend to get very limited time in the Alhambra on these trips with much of the time being spent in Granada city rather than the Palace.

If you are not in a rush to get back to your ship for sailing I personally would go by bus for a cheaper option (return fare currently 22.86 Euros per person) or, more expensive but giving you much more freedom, do as MADflyer suggests and hire a car. You can then go round the Alhambra at your own pace - the audio guides are excellent. But, as already said, an organised tour is an easiest option.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Anyone docking in Malaga this week is in for a treat as the 17th Malaga Film Festival is on and the whole city is in fiesta mood.

Before I ask you for your input I would like to thank you for all the info you have provided .

We will be in arriving in malaga on RCCL serenade of the seas. We have been to malaga but now we would like to perhaps go to Fuengirola then Mijas. Last time we were in Mijas was about 35 years ago....I bet it has changed ;).

There are 6 of us ...what would you suggest we do?...and what mode of transportation would you suggest we take?

Before I ask you for your input I would like to thank you for all the info you have provided .

We will be in arriving in malaga on RCCL serenade of the seas. We have been to malaga but now we would like to perhaps go to Fuengirola then Mijas. Last time we were in Mijas was about 35 years ago....I bet it has changed ;).

There are 6 of us ...what would you suggest we do?...and what mode of transportation would you suggest we take?

To get to Fuengirola take the train - they run every 20 minutes and are cheap, clean and run on time. The nearest train station to the port is Alameda just off the main street Alameda Principal.

To go on to Mijas just get a bus from Fuengirola Bus Station which is only a couple of minutes walk from the train station. Bus M-122 http://siu.ctmam.ctan.es/en/horarios_lineas_tabla.php?linea=10

You will notice some changes in Mijas from 35 years ago - much more touristy but still charming.

You could take taxis from the port to Fuengirola but they are only licensed for 4 people so would require two cabs. IMO as the journey by train is so easy the high taxi fare is simply not worth it.

Hope this helps. We sail today for a week so won´t be on line during the next 7 days but, if you have any more queries, please post and I will answer when we return. Also, thank you for the ´thanks´ - very much appreciated,

Edited by campolady

To get to Fuengirola take the train - they run every 20 minutes and are cheap, clean and run on time. The nearest train station to the port is Alameda just off the main street Alameda Principal.

To go on to Mijas just get a bus from Fuengirola Bus Station which is only a couple of minutes walk from the train station. Bus M-122 http://siu.ctmam.ctan.es/en/horarios_lineas_tabla.php?linea=10

You will notice some changes in Mijas from 35 years ago - much more touristy but still charming.

You could take taxis from the port to Fuengirola but they are only licensed for 4 people so would require two cabs. IMO as the journey by train is so easy the high taxi fare is simply not worth it.

Hope this helps. We sail today for a week so won´t be on line during the next 7 days but, if you have any more queries, please post and I will answer when we return. Also, thank you for the ´thanks´ - very much appreciated,

Thanks so very much for your help and assistance on the board. We really appreciate the time you take to help so many of us enjoy your lovely country.

Have a wonderful cruise. Hope the weather is great.

Thank you! We will follow your suggestion... Public transportation in Europe is great . You have a wonderful cruise . :)

Thank you for offering help. We are arriving about 4 PM and then will get on the ship the next day ASAP. I heard the downtown is near the pier and good for walking around. Is that correct? Also, how far is the airport from the pier/downtown and where would you suggest we stay that first night? I have not read all the comments(working fulltime plus a photography business so real busy, so I apologize if I am repeating questions you have already answered) but wondering if there is anything we will be able to do that is a don't miss moment in Malaga, like a place or a restaurant? I promise I will take the time to read all your other wonderful comments. Thanks for any info you can help us with. We are going on our cruise on NCL on Feb. 2, 2015. Gracias!

Thank you for offering help. We are arriving about 4 PM and then will get on the ship the next day ASAP. I heard the downtown is near the pier and good for walking around. Is that correct? Also, how far is the airport from the pier/downtown and where would you suggest we stay that first night? ) but wondering if there is anything we will be able to do that is a don't miss moment in Malaga, like a place or a restaurant? . Thanks for any info you can help us with. We are going on our cruise on NCL on Feb. 2, 2015. Gracias!

CampoLady,

I read your response to another of my questions and other people's questions, but still need to have an idea of a hotel by the airport or near port or what. We are not good with doing buses or trains, so would probably take a taxi or car service, so need suggestions with hotel and transportation. Your help is much appreciated. Many thanks.

We will be in Malaga on Oct 30 from 11:00am to 9:00 pm. Have been to Malaga before and seen all the sights. We would like to go to Torremolinos. Where can we get a bus? How long does it take to get there? what is the cost? Any other suggestions for the day? Thanks very much for your help.

Meenu

We will be in Malaga on Oct 30 from 11:00am to 9:00 pm. Have been to Malaga before and seen all the sights. We would like to go to Torremolinos. Where can we get a bus? How long does it take to get there? what is the cost? Any other suggestions for the day? Thanks very much for your help.

Meenu

The C1 Renfe Cercanias trains run every 20 minutes and the cost is 1.75 or 2.00euro each way. It takes 20 minutes from the center of Malaga.

There is a bus, but you have to change at the bus terminal for the buses toward Fuengirola, Marbella or Algeciras. It takes 15+ minutes if they are on time from the bus terminal next to the train station.

The C1 Renfe Cercanias trains run every 20 minutes and the cost is 1.75 or 2.00euro each way. It takes 20 minutes from the center of Malaga.

There is a bus, but you have to change at the bus terminal for the buses toward Fuengirola, Marbella or Algeciras. It takes 15+ minutes if they are on time from the bus terminal next to the train station.

Thanks for your quick response. Will will take the train.

Meenu

CampoLady,

I read your response to another of my questions and other people's questions, but still need to have an idea of a hotel by the airport or near port or what. We are not good with doing buses or trains, so would probably take a taxi or car service, so need suggestions with hotel and transportation. Your help is much appreciated. Many thanks.

No hotels near the airport.

The closest to the Port are the Maestranza, Malaga Palacio and Molino Larias (all good 4 star hotels).

Taxi fare around 25€ from the airport to all 3 hotels.

Campolady,

My husband and I will be arriving in Malaga at 8am and departing at 11pm in September. We are torn between visiting Alhambra and staying in Malaga. My question is: If we take a tour to Alhambra that is 9 hrs in length , do you think we will have enough time to have a short visit in Malaga? I know we can't see everything, but I wonder if this is even possible.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable suggestions.

Campolady,

My husband and I will be arriving in Malaga at 8am and departing at 11pm in September. We are torn between visiting Alhambra and staying in Malaga. My question is: If we take a tour to Alhambra that is 9 hrs in length , do you think we will have enough time to have a short visit in Malaga? I know we can't see everything, but I wonder if this is even possible.

Thank you for providing us with your valuable suggestions.

It would be risky expecting to do both the Alhambra and Malaga.

The motorway up to Granada is notorious for delays so you may well only get back to your ship soon before sailing. If you are back on schedule you could have a quick walk around Malaga but the cruise ships dock a fair walk from the city so you would have to take time getting there into consideration. Malaga absolutely buzzes at night - from 9 p.m. onwards - so is well worth seeing even if only for an hour or so.

Personally I would decide whether to do the Alhambra OR Malaga. I would definitely choose Malaga as there is so much to see but I am obviously biased.

In September weather is still very hot in Granada - much more so than at Malaga on the coast - so, if you decide to visit the Alhambra, take plenty of water and wear comfortable shoes as there are a lot of steps to climb!

Hope this helps a little bit - please let me know if I can be of any firther assistance. Best Wishes,

Brenda

Campolady,

My husband and I will be arriving in Malaga at 8am and departing at 11pm in September..

Even with a late sailing, cruise ship tours tend to get folk back to the ship for dinner. It's my guess that the 9 hours will be something like 8.30am to 6.30pm.

If so, that will give you time to soak up the evening atmosphere in Malaga.

JB :)

Even with a late sailing, cruise ship tours tend to get folk back to the ship for dinner. It's my guess that the 9 hours will be something like 8.30am to 6.30pm.

If so, that will give you time to soak up the evening atmosphere in Malaga.

Dammit, too late to edit.

I never was much good at arithmetic :o :D

But the theory still holds :)

Thank you Brenda and JB.

I am really torn between spending the day in Malaga or visiting Alhambra.

I have the same problem about spending the day in Cadiz or visiting Seville.

After reading these posts I see many cruisers struggle with these same choices.

It's really not such a bad problem to have. I know I will be a happy with either decision. I appreciate all your help!