Cruise Critic Community
sippican

Best maps

Looking for the best city maps for Budapest and Prague.

I prefer maps that are not part of a travel guide, foldable, durable and easy to read.

We had a great map of Copenhagen, but I've passed it along and can't recall the brand.

I am open to Apps that don't require data to be on. We tried a downloadable one in Europe but it was not user friendly and tedious to use.

For iPhone or iPad I can recommend CityMaps2Go and/or OffMaps2. Download all the maps before leaving home and you don't require any data to use them. It is a good idea to turn it on whilst you are on the ship or in the hotel to locate your current position then turn the data off.

We used both of them in US, Canada and Alaska last year and will be using them in Europe this year.

Trip advisor has a great app for both Budapest and Prague, as well as someother major cities. Once downloaded, it works offline. The map is interactive with restaurants, shopping, attractions, etc. The app also shows self-guided tours of each city based on your interests and length of time you want to spend. Look on Trip Advisor for City Guides.

Becki

I wrote an app especially for river cruises (all maps, river levels and currency converter) for iOS and android. Once downloaded, you don't need a dataplan.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.appdream.rivercruise

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/river-cruise-info/id610398042?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Love this app and have recommended it to friends! Downloaded it for my phone, but wish it worked for my Nook, so I could view the maps in a larger view. I have the Nook HD+ and my hubby has the Nook HD and we always travel with them.

Downloaded the city maps we will using from this app but can not seem to find the "key" to explain some of the symbols...= with a/ through it? maybe a bus stop?

Thanks

Downloaded the city maps we will using from this app but can not seem to find the "key" to explain some of the symbols...= with a/ through it? maybe a bus stop?

Thanks

Which app did you download?

I wrote an app especially for river cruises (all maps, river levels and currency converter) for iOS and android. Once downloaded, you don't need a dataplan.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.appdream.rivercruise

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/river-cruise-info/id610398042?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Downloaded today to my iphone.

I loaded the maps for the ports on our cruise itinerary. The App appears to be very user friendly. I like the currency conversion feature.

Thank you.

for an Ipad

followed the above link

I could not find a link or the ipad - just iphone. Does it work in the correct size on your ipad?

Works just fine on iPad. The resolution was built for iPhone so, as in the other iPhone apps on the iPad, you can switch to the lower resolution (1x) or keep it as it opens up. A great resource.

At the moment I am working on an universal iPad version, that does not emulate the iphone but uses the full screen of the ipad (mini+air..)

Will be just in time for the next season :)

Ingo

At the moment I am working on an universal iPad version, that does not emulate the iphone but uses the full screen of the ipad (mini+air..)

Ingo

Ingo,

How about for the Nook? I know it says for Android, but not all Android apps work for the NookHD. Would love to have it for my NookHD+. I do have it on my iPhone. Very cool app.

Thanks!

Becki

Ingo

Perfect! I'll keep my eyes open.

I have not been pleased with the performance of many iPhone apps on the iPad, yet love the size of the screen on the mini (for older eyes!)

Ingo,

How about for the Nook? I know it says for Android, but not all Android apps work for the NookHD. Would love to have it for my NookHD+. I do have it on my iPhone. Very cool app.

Thanks!

Becki

Hey Becki,

let me check if the Android version fullfills all the criteria for the app, and I#ll tell you in a few days :)

You're welcome

Ingo

rjscott: Friends of mine are in the US right now, bought me a Nook 7". I'll have my hands on it around Feb.4th.. Then I can test myself :)

rjscott: I got some not so good news. The "bug" was really confusing. Officially the android version goes back to 2.2.3, the Nook is running 4.0.x, so it should support the app.

First I thought it was some restriction because of the modified android Barnes & Nobles is using. So I tried to root the device as a workaround. Did not really work out, the app still did not show up in the store.

Later I realised, the play store does not offer the app, because the nook has no GPS build in. But I rely on gps positioning when using maps. Got the same / similar problem when I tried to install citymaps2go (and other gps depending map apps), did not work either.

At the moment I would estimate the chances very slim to zero to fix this issue. However the nook is already my favorite android tablet at home, the display is much better than samsung :)

Sorry

Ingo

Ingo, thank you so much for your efforts. I do have the app loaded to my iPhone, as I think it is a great app, just would love to see the maps on a larger screen like my Nook HD+ . (Sigh). But, although this doesn't help me for our upcoming Portraits of Southern France cruise, the friends we are traveling with in June on the Passage to Eastern Europe will have iPads to view the app on.

Thanks again!

Becki

I'm old school with maps . . . I want paper. I go to the city's tourism website. Then I send an email, or use their fillable form and request a map, and often other stuff.

We're heading off soon for the Rhein and Mosel with maps of Antwerp, Bonn, Trier, Strasbourg, and Basel.

There is a visitor's information center a couple doors down from the astronomical clock in Prague. You can pick up a paper map there. And they have very clean rest rooms there, too. I think the fee was 30 cents Euros when we were there.

In Budapest I asked for a map at the hotel desk.

Hello CPT trips,

I still like paper maps and guide books on holiday, too. For the Rhine from Mainz to Cologne there is a small guide with a fold-out map available, you can get this in Bonn, I am sure:

Color Photo Guide

From Mainz to Cologne and map of the Rhine

published 12 March 2007

96 pages

Rahmel Verlag

English version

ISBN-10: 3926526882

ISBN-13: 978-3926526885

19.8 x 11 x 0.8 cm

Rahmel Verlag also publishes a guide book for the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam, could not find the information and ISBN, though.

notamermaid

I bought Streetwise maps from Amazon of Prague, Vienna and Budapest. They are foldable to fit in a pocket, laminated, and show tram and Metro routes as well. Not real high tech, but very detailed and they worked very well for me. They were about $6 or $7 each.