Cruise Critic Community
jklc123

Amsterdam hotel advice

Looking at hotels well located for walking to most sights, with a lift (DH has problems climbing stairs). Have been looking at Tripadvisor, but CC advice most welcome. Not looking for "budget hotel" with tiny rooms nor big chain hotels.

We stayed at The Times Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. Small older hotel that does have small rooms but within walking distance of anything and everything. It does have a lift and while they don't have an onsite restaurant, they offer (for a price) a nice continental breakfast.

Stayed at the Amsterdam Marriott pre-cruise for 3 days and was a great location. They are several blocks from the Ryks & Van Gogh Museums and right on the Leidsaplein with many shops and restaurants. The hotel has elevators and I believe hadicap rooms. Hope you have a great time

Check one of these hotels:

Esterea,

Banks Mansion

Pulitzer

Jan Luyken

Museumhotel

Parkhotel

Convent Hotel

to name just a few

Edited by Ine

We stayed at the Banks Mansion during late October. The rooms were really nice, the breakfast wonderful and the "living area" downstairs a nice place to relax after a long day out. It is definitely within walking distance of everything.

We've booked the DH Amsterdam Centre for our post Rhine cruise this June. Gets good reviews and seems location is very central. Got it for $60/night on priceline.

We very much enjoyed our stay in 2011 at the Amsterdam Convent Hotel. It meets all your criteria and public transportation is extremely close. Check the different online booking sites for a good deal (particularly, if you can get breakfast included--it was great!).

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We were surprised to find that a good number of the suggested hotels are already booked for the time we will be in Amsterdam (early November). DH vetoed several that were not yet booked if there was any mention of tiny rooms or bathrooms on Tripadvisor, so we decided to treat ourselves to the Banks Mansion. We're paying more than we had wanted but DH's attitude is "you can't take it with you."

We've stayed at Hotel Fita on three trips in the last year and a half. Loved it each time. Yes, they have a lift but watch for Amsterdam hotels because while there is sometimes a lift inside most older ones (including Fita) have steps to get to the lobby. At Fita they have helped us with luggage and made it very doable for DH. Room sizes vary (let them know what you want) and the breakfasts are to die for. They are located so close to the museums and some good (cheap or fancy) restaurants. We aren't walkers but have no trouble getting around town from there. Buses are also nearby and a grocery. They will be our choice next trip. It's smaller, family-run and wonderful. There is a reason they rate so highly on Tripadvisor.

Some friends and I stayed in Hotel Fita, the first time we were in Amsterdam before our first river cruise and we liked it. We just got to our room and there was a knock on our door and I thought it was my friends from across the hall and I opened the door and a staff member came in with glasses of wine for us.

They were all booked up when I went this year so we stayed at Hotel Zandbergen.

Did you investigate any others? Have been reading about Amsterdam Hotels and there is such diversity! Our cruise ends on Sunday and we thought we would stay Sunday night and Monday night and fly home on Tuesday. How long were you there and what did you especially like?

Have read about it online and it sounds perfect! Any suggestions for room suggestions? We are going in October, but want to get it reserved as so few rooms. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

They all sound wonderful online. Some differences in pricing....any suggestions. We will be in Amsterdam when we disembark on Sunday and then want to stay all day Monday and expect to leave Tuesday. Any thoughts? We like to walk, are not afraid of public transportation, but because time is limited want to be close to museums and the **important things to see.

Thank you in advance for any thought or suggestions.

I have stayed here and very close to Grand Central Station and wonderful location. Clean and quiet rooms that are very close to everything. Loved it.

Without a doubt,,,,,,,The Hotel Estherea. What a lovely hotel and a perfect location. We stayed there last Sept. after our river cruise. It was so nice and also the couple we were traveling with thought the same. We got a much better deal than what Viking offered for their hotel....which we found out from fellow cruisers we ran into, wasn't all that great.

We would most definitely stay at Hotel Estherea again. We loved it!

We've booked the DH Amsterdam Centre for our post Rhine cruise this June. Gets good reviews and seems location is very central. Got it for $60/night on priceline.

That was a good one. I bid on Priceline and got the Carleton for $92 a night for our May cruise.

Marion

Good Morning to All,

I guess we are similar in hotels as we wanted to get away from the Americanized hotels.We are cruising with Scenic and they put you up at The Double Tree Hotel in Amsterdam and passed on that and Lisa and I are staying at The Toren Hotel in The Jordaan District and on The Keizersgracht Canal.

We have a room overlooking The Canal and even have a Jacuzzi Tub for Two!!

Yes there is an elevator and the folks have been just super. Hats off To Kathleen and Priscilla.

Can't say as we don't arrive until August the 30th but if any indication so far I would Highly recommend..

Very convenient to everything..

Wishing All Smooth Sailings and a Wonderful Time in Amsterdam.

Lisa and Gary

I've been looking at the Toren as well for September 2016. We love Amsterdam, but in the past have always stayed in little canal house hotels, no elevators. We're past that now, so want something nicer, and the Toren certainly seems to fit the bill.

Good Morning One and All,

If you happen to be looking for a European Boutique Hotel that is Warm and Friendly, has a Lift and is centrally located in what is called The Jorrdan District on The Keizersgracht Canal and is centrally located, right around the corner from the Ann Frank House and The Famous Pancake Bakery then I Highly Recommend The Toren Hotel. Very Upscale with Large Rooms.

Good Morning One and All,

If you happen to be looking for a European Boutique Hotel that is Warm and Friendly, has a Lift and is centrally located in what is called The Jorrdan District on The Keizersgracht Canal and is centrally located, right around the corner from the Ann Frank House and The Famous Pancake Bakery then I Highly Recommend The Toren Hotel. Very Upscale with Large Rooms.

Please come back here and report on this hotel when you return in Sept. Looks like a good choice in a great location.