Cruise Critic Community
jklc123

Amsterdam hotel advice

Kylie one thing that I will say and it depends on when you are going on your cruise. If in early September there is a convention that is held there called IBC. International Broadcasting Convention. Normally and influx of about 75,000 folks and hotels not only are hard to find but the prices are $$$$. Unless you have an Oil Well or two in the Back Forty you may think about and again an idea of a Houseboat on one of the canals. I also recommend buying your tickets to Ann Frank House on line and if you should want one of the Best Tour Guides Tom van der Leij Toms Tours.

If you have time and want to do something romantic Jewels Dinner Cruises big plus. Oh if you shall be in Budapest recommend Fisherman's Bastion for a dinner with a Panoramic View of Budapest and the Danube. Maybe even take a Horse and Carriage to the restaurant.

Smooth Sailings

Lisa & Gary

Morning Ladies,

If any of you are considering staying at The Toren Hotel send an e-mail to Kelly Gardner, Guest Relations. I can highly recommend her and her staff as they do a tremendous job.

Once again if you are going in Early September don't wait as these European Boutique Hotels are in HIGH DEMAND..

Hoping this may help and also Pancake Bakery right around the corner in one direction and Ann Frank House in the other direction. About a three minute walk for each.

Gary

Kylie one thing that I will say and it depends on when you are going on your cruise. If in early September there is a convention that is held there called IBC. International Broadcasting Convention. Normally and influx of about 75,000 folks and hotels not only are hard to find but the prices are $$$$. Unless you have an Oil Well or two in the Back Forty you may think about and again an idea of a Houseboat on one of the canals. I also recommend buying your tickets to Ann Frank House on line and if you should want one of the Best Tour Guides Tom van der Leij Toms Tours.

Smooth Sailings

Lisa & Gary

We aren't going until early June 2016 - I tried to price this hotel online and nothing available (I hope that means it's too early!). Maybe I'll email Kelly like you recommended.

How do you plan to get to the hotel from the airport?

Edited by Kylie

Seeing that we are in a Royal Panorama Suite on board our transportation from Airport to Hotel and fro Hotel to Ship from Ship to Hotel and from Hotel to Airport taken care of by Scenic. Have a Minivan. That's because we shall have 5 pieces of luggage that are Huge at least the suitcases are. If you send an email to Kelly tell her that Lisa and Gary Havins recommended that you do so. May also tell her we are arriving Aug30,2015. She has been more than helpful.

If you may like my email is dakota242@windstream.net

I retired from Continental Airlines and we are flying over on British Airways.

We aren't going until early June 2016 - "

Hi, Kylie. Which line or ship are you sailing on?

Hi, Kylie. Which line or ship are you sailing on?

We are sailing on the Viking Gefjon on June 3 - Grand European. How about you?

We are on the Rhine Getaway on April 24th, on the Viking Hlin. Should be in Amsterdam for the height of the tulip season.

Kylie, hope you will come over and sign in on our 2016 Rhine Getaway Roll Call.

Another nice place to stay is The Times Hotel, very small, right on a canal but with an elevator! Within walking distance to everything you might want to see and you can even walk to/from Central Station.

Good Morning to All,

I guess we are similar in hotels as we wanted to get away from the Americanized hotels.We are cruising with Scenic and they put you up at The Double Tree Hotel in Amsterdam and passed on that and Lisa and I are staying at The Toren Hotel in The Jordaan District and on The Keizersgracht Canal.

I'm also looking at the Toren for our 2016 Viking Cruise. It sounds like it's just what we're looking for. I don't want to do a chain hotel. Their booking calendar doesn't go out that far yet, so I have to keep checking.

Please let us know how it was!

After next week, I'll report on the "misc eatdrinksleep." It's a six-room boutique hotel on a canal right off of Nieuwmarkt square. Three rooms face the canal and three face a garden.

There's no elevator, but the owners will carry people's bags to the rooms. It has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor (currently #11 in Amsterdam). Breakfast is included along with a free in-room minibar. We'll be spending two nights there before our cruise. They have arranged airport transport for us.

http://misceatdrinksleep.com/

FuelScience

Another nice choice in a boutique hotel is the Canal House, just down the street from the Toren and within easy walking distance of the Anne Frank House. We had a lovely room overlooking their garden for 3 nights, and there was an elevator that took us directly to our room. That said, there are some steps to negotiate at the front door and also from the hotel lobby/bar to the other areas of the hotel. Also, not all rooms are created equal, as with many of these boutique hotels. Another couple traveling with us had very steep steps to climb (literally!) to get up to their room. A nice bonus: A generous continental breakfast was included in the rate, or you could get a full breakfast for an additional nominal amount.

For those with mobility issues, be sure to mention this when booking to ensure you get an accessible room. Also, the staff took care of moving all of our luggage so we really didn't have to deal with it in terms of the initial small sets of steps.

Kylie one thing that I will say and it depends on when you are going on your cruise. If in early September there is a convention that is held there called IBC. International Broadcasting Convention. Normally and influx of about 75,000 folks and hotels not only are hard to find but the prices are $$$$. ...

I am looking closely at hotels for next September. Sigh, I knew about the convention, and have even thought of avoiding Amsterdam altogether until boarding day, but we'll see. Need an elevator for sure, don't want a big chain but will take one if necessary. The Toren is pretty pricey, but looks lovely.

I am looking closely at hotels for next September. Sigh, I knew about the convention, and have even thought of avoiding Amsterdam altogether until boarding day, but we'll see. Need an elevator for sure, don't want a big chain but will take one if necessary. The Toren is pretty pricey, but looks lovely.

Have you looked at Hotel Estherea? Lovely boutique hotel on a quiet canal. Near everything.

I've looked at several, but for September availability I have to wait. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm travelling for most of October, so I'll have to wait until I come home to look.

We will be finishing our AMA cruise from Basel to Amsterdam on April 27, 2016 in Amsterdam. We are planning on spending two extra days in Amsterdam Looking for good suggestions for places to stay for two nights in Amsterdam. They celebrate Kings Day on April 27 so it may be crowded.

We will be finishing our AMA cruise from Basel to Amsterdam on April 27, 2016 in Amsterdam. We are planning on spending two extra days in Amsterdam Looking for good suggestions for places to stay for two nights in Amsterdam. They celebrate Kings Day on April 27 so it may be crowded.

Hi:) I am taking my first River Cruise in April:D sailing out of

Amsterdam. I would say hop over to the Western European Forum

because there are ALOT of hotel threads on it (with alot of Amsterdam

suggestions too:D). I am staying at "The Banks Mansion"......it looks

really lovely and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and on here too.;)

Here is a link if you want to take a look.

http://www.carlton.nl/banksmansion/default-en.html

Oh, my cruise is on AMA too!!!

Edited by Lois R

If you can cope with steep stairs, I highly recommend misc eatdrinksleep! Hotel has six rooms--three canal front and three garden view. Breakfast and free Minibar are included. Pepijn and Rachel are wonderful hosts who will help you find the best places to eat and play and make reservations for you. It sits just off of Nieuwmakt Square.

FuelScience

http://misceatdrinksleep.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d501335-Reviews-Misc_eatdrinksleep-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

We stayed at:

Nh Carlton Amsterdam

Vijzelstraat 4

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland 1017 HK

It was in a great location for getting all over Amsterdam. The room was the smallest hotel room we ever stayed in but the view from from window watching the sun set over the city was wonderful. I am sure all the room were not as small as the one they gave us. We booked on Priceline and only paid $92 a night so I couldn't complain. I would definitely stay at this hotel if we go back to Amsterdam. We didn't spend anytime in the hotel except to sleep so the small room really didn't make a difference.

Marion

I stayed at Aalders Hotel for 2 nights. Lovely small hotel near the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Friends stayed there in June and also loved it! Easy walk to all of Amsterdam.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stayed at Aalders Hotel for 2 nights. Lovely small hotel near the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Friends stayed there in June and also loved it! Easy walk to all of Amsterdam.

Pat

Hi Pat:).....I googled the hotel.......looks nice. I have a room booked

at "The Banks Mansion" and that is more by about 100 Euros:eek:

The Aalders looks really nice and also includes breakfast.....I am

wondering if I should change hotels.....it is a lot of money to save.

I am going in April........your thoughts?:)

Pat....I do have another question......do you recall if there are

restaurants within walking distance of the hotel? (for dinner)....

Thanks again.:)

I just went back to Trip Advisor and both places get good marks:D

I loved that hotel. The breakfast was nice and restaurants were close by. I was there in September and it was great to sit outside for dinner. One night after touring I was so tired I went to one of the closest restaurants and wound up meeting and sharing a table with tourists from Romania. I travel by myself and feel very safe in Amsterdam. Just watch out for the bicycles.

Pat

Has anyone stayed at the Hoxton Amsterdam? The reviews are great and the price seems reasonable. It looks like a new hotel and is very close to everything in city center.