Just off the Emerald

John & Kelly

Just off another 10 day cruise on the Emerald. The ship is in great shape and overall another fantastic cruise in spite of some of the most offensive cruise passengers I have ever encountered.

Let me know any questions you may have.

What made the passengers offensive? I'm on the Emerald in March - don't scare me!

We experienced the rudest behavior towards the crew and staff by several delusionally self-important passengers. It began with check in and some behavior made me cringe. I love talking to the crew and feel that our interaction is key to having a great time and would never think to talk to ANY of them as though they were beneath me.......very disgusting behavior.

Just off another 10 day cruise on the Emerald. The ship is in great shape and overall another fantastic cruise in spite of some of the most offensive cruise passengers I have ever encountered.

Let me know any questions you may have.

This made me laugh. I had friends on this sailing and they said something very similar. Could be a "holiday cruise" thing. I have read a few posts about rude/disrespectful behavior during holiday cruises on different ships. Hmmm

-Andrew :)

I have encountered passengers like this on cruises in the past sailing from Ft. Lauderdale....it does make me cringe as some people can be so rude and entitled! It makes me want to be extra nice to all of the staff who are bending backwards to help me all the time! I can't even fathom someone not saying "thank you" to a server, or someone who has helped them....nevermind some of the rude things I have heard uttered out of people's mouths!

I remember once I heard an older couple complain at a table in Horizon Court "I wish they would stop asking me if I would like coffee or tea" and in nearly the same breath, "where is the server to ask me if I would like orange juice!" How is the staff supposed to know in advance if they would not like coffee...are they supposed to be mind readers? LOL.

Oh! I guess I should take advantage of this thread to ask some questions since we're sailing on the Emerald in a week! :)

What were some of the MUTS being played? Is the ship (*knocks on wood*) noro-free? What were some of the shows/comedians/entertainment?

Thank you!

Have you been following this blog? Between it and the pre-cruise entertainment email from Princess, you should have a pretty good idea of what is going on.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.ca/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-04:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-04:00&max-results=10

I have encountered passengers like this on cruises in the past sailing from Ft. Lauderdale....it does make me cringe as some people can be so rude and entitled! It makes me want to be extra nice to all of the staff who are bending backwards to help me all the time! I can't even fathom someone not saying "thank you" to a server, or someone who has helped them....nevermind some of the rude things I have heard uttered out of people's mouths!

I remember once I heard an older couple complain at a table in Horizon Court "I wish they would stop asking me if I would like coffee or tea" and in nearly the same breath, "where is the server to ask me if I would like orange juice!" How is the staff supposed to know in advance if they would not like coffee...are they supposed to be mind readers? LOL.

your words were very well stated and i could not agree more…we took the emerald from quebec to fll recently and had exactly the same experiences you did…i sometimes wonder if they were born rude or it was a learned trait.

we don't know how the staff always seems to keep their wits with these folks, i certainly could not….

Good Morning....we sail Emerald on the 28th, how was your weather in Princess Cays?

We were on the same cruise, the 2nd of our b2bs. We missed Princess Cays because of the weather! Rainy with strong winds gusting up to 35 mph.

The Christmas cruise on 12/19 had very nice passengers and it was a wonderful cruise.

The 12/29 cruise had a totally different crowd. I wrote about this on another thread.

On the 12/19 cruise, we spoke w/officers, crew and other passengers about how nice the passengers were, especially the children.

On the 12/29 cruise it was just the opposite. Misbehaving children and adults. Lots of rude & demanding passengers. On the cruise in conversations with officers, crew and other passengers we talked of how different the passengers were on this cruise compared to the previous and how rude and demanding they were.

Not saying Please and thank you is a pet peeve of mine. I even say it for people and mostly loud enough for them to hear and you would think they would get the hint - but guess they think it's beneith them:eek:

I have noticed that it has gotten way worse the last few years onboard with the passengers who think they are entitled.

I have a question for you John & Kelly...were they offering any type of wine packages on your cruise? there has been alot of talk about them on the threads and we have a group of 10 sailing in Feb and are curious as to where we want to shlep wine on board or do a wine package if offered.

I witnessed many PBB(Passengers Behaving Badly) on my October Coral cruise.

It's very discouraging to read threads about this topic-there was another one about rude passengers recently- this may alter my future travel plans via cruising in favor of small group trips on land-more expensive but people in smaller groups are usually more accountable for their actions.

Going on the Emerald 1/28 and hope its a nicer passenger mix then.

Besides witnessing rude and cruel behavior toward crew on the Coral(which by the way was the most immaculate Princess ship I have been on so far) I had passengers yell at me because I was unable to provide directions to them to a location they were looking for. Really!!! Sadly, the bad apples on this cruise were Americans,predominantly from the Northeast-Boston,New York, New Jersey.

I have sailed the first week in March the last couple of years and the ship was full of lovely and gracious Canadians-had a great time.That tends to be their spring break week so lots of teachers were onboard.Never saw rude kids at all

Not saying Please and thank you is a pet peeve of mine. I even say it for people and mostly loud enough for them to hear and you would think they would get the hint - but guess they think it's beneith them:eek:.

My experience is that this type of behavior is more likely on Caribbean trips and less so on Mediterranean trips.

We sail in 8 Days on the Emerald, can't wait; haven't been on this ship yet.

Brian

We are sailing 4 weeks from today and it will be our first time on the Emerald as well. Getting very excited!

We are New Englanders who always have our manners with us, and we pack some extra in our luggage, just in case....

:D

I have a question for you John & Kelly...were they offering any type of wine packages on your cruise? there has been alot of talk about them on the threads and we have a group of 10 sailing in Feb and are curious as to where we want to shlep wine on board or do a wine package if offered.

I'm not John or Kelly, but I can tell you that they have the wine card. You can purchase either a silver (up to $29/bottle) or gold (up to $45/bottle) package for 7, 10 or 12 bottles.

There is also a new wine list and they have more good wines now. I also like the fact that you can order a more expensive wine using your wine card and pay only the difference between the card price limit & the actual cost.

We were pleased with the selection and the overall savings with the card.

Hope this helps.

I'm not John or Kelly, but I can tell you that they have the wine card. You can purchase either a silver (up to $29/bottle) or gold (up to $45/bottle) package for 7, 10 or 12 bottles.

There is also a new wine list and they have more good wines now. I also like the fact that you can order a more expensive wine using your wine card and pay only the difference between the card price limit & the actual cost.

We were pleased with the selection and the overall savings with the card.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. Where can the wine card be purchased? Also, is it an actual card or a sticker placed on your cruise card?

Thanks,

Thanks for the information. Where can the wine card be purchased? Also, is it an actual card or a sticker placed on your cruise card?

Thanks,

It's a card and each time you order a bottle they punch it...just like the coffee card. We purchased our cards from our jr. waiter at dinner the 1st night.

Edited by Crzn-Life

I'm also just off the ship. We had a fab time especially eating all the yummy food. Never came across rude passengers. Everyone we met was lovely. Did take us 2 hours to get off the ship but that's not princess's fault. Our only issue was we weren't too impressed with the activities on offer onboard but that is just us and I'm sure other people liked them. Best tour was the ship tour cycling in Bonaire even in the pouring rain. Was disappointed we didn't get to princess cays but I'll just need to go another time

We were on Emerald Princess last January for 20 days and had a fantastic time with the nicest fellow passengers! :)

Just because we enjoyed ours so much, doesn't mean the OP should have. We weren't on the ship for this sailing, the OP was.

Different sailings can certainly have a pax base that sometimes is better than others.

A great pax base will enhance our cruise but an unfortunate pax base won't ruin it for us. :)

LuLu

~~~~