Advice to Newbies

telecomgirl111

Hi All,

DH and I are bringing his parents on their first ever cruise, at the end of this month. We are getting together tomorrow evening to share tips and advice. The only thing I can come up with, right now, is for them to not expect an all-inclusive. Any suggestions?

Hi All,

DH and I are bringing his parents on their first ever cruise, at the end of this month. We are getting together tomorrow evening to share tips and advice. The only thing I can come up with, right now, is for them to not expect an all-inclusive. Any suggestions?

Best tip...ENJOY!!!

Remind them of all the things that aren't included and can run up the tab quickly: tips. drinks if not on the beverage package, shore excursions, photos, bingo, spa, shopping, and more. Too many new cruisers end up with an unpleasant surprise at the end of the trip because it is so easy to just swipe that card. However, do remind them of all the things that ARE included: shows, most of the food, many activities and demonstrations. There is lot to do without running up a big bill.

Hi All,

When you say you are "bringing his parents" it depends on what you mean by that as it can range widely, from merely meaning that they will accompany you to meaning that you are picking up all their expenses.

If the latter, (as often done when children are in a better financial position than the parents, or vice versa) an important point to establish in advance is whether or not they will have charging privileges on your shipboard account.

Many adult children decide that they are going to pick up the tab for all their parents' expenses and they just want their parents to enjoy themselves and not be worried about the cost.

When the financial situations of parents and children are reversed, it is often the other way around.

In other families, they will pay for the cruise only (or cruise and airfare, or cruise and airfare and hotel and transfers) but not any additional expenses.

Setting the ground rules up front so that everyone knows exactly what to expect can help greatly in avoiding any surprises or misunderstandings later.