Where can I find out about the ingredients in the food?

Giantfan13

OK Maybe I should have explained this a bit further. We are of Jewish heritage and we try and obey the Kosher Dietary laws. Many people do not understand these, so it is easier to say we are vegetarians. We only eat Kosher meat. So, on cruises we only eat fish and only certain types of fish. We cannot eat anything that comes from a non Kosher animal.

I won't go into many of the dietary laws of trying to remain Kosher while cruising, but the problem with the Buffalo cheese was one that we were concerned about. Buffalo is not considered a Kosher animal, so anything made from it's byproducts would not be considered Kosher.

That is why I mentioned the soup bases. Anything considered in the meat family, has to be from a Kosher animal. That is why we would not partake in soups that have a meat base broth et al. That is why I originally asked where I could find out any info on the ingredients of some of the foods.

again, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

And we HAVE tried some of the Kosher meals that you can order and be served. Please, I want to enjoy the cruise. That food is horrible.

Cheers

Len

Talk to the Maitre 'D. But also talk to the Wait Staff. Many are Muslim, and Halal and Kosher are almost interchangeable. The Muslim Wait Staff will know what they could eat and suggest it to you.

(and Mozzarella Cheese is usually not a Kosher violation. Usually made daily from whole milk curds from Cow's Milk. Mozzarella is a fairly pure cheese with usually only a little salt added. The Buffalo Sauce is usually vinegar, and Chili powder. neither would violate Kosher.

(Another good idea would be to ask your Rabbi for a listing of foods that you might not think of as Kosher.)

Edited by mapsmith

Halal and Kosher are almost interchangeable. The Muslim Wait Staff will know what they could eat and suggest it to you.

(Another good idea would be to ask your Rabbi for a listing of foods that you might not think of as Kosher.)

Under Muslim dietary laws, milk and meat can be mixed while under Jewish dietary laws they can not be mixed. Thus dishes which are permissible to the Muslim Wait Staff are not always permissible to a person observing the kosher dietary laws.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the answers.

I was just using the buffalo cheese as one example, we were more interested in the bases for soups, gravies sauces etc.

We have no problem eating the fish meals that are considered Kosher fish, as we do not eat shellfish etc, so we have no interest in the specific Kosher meals that can be had.

I go back to my original question, is there some one at Carnival that I can contact, who can advise me of some of the questions I have about the certain foods, before I go. Waiters don't know the ingredients of all the foods they serve and to have to go and ask chef every time we are to choose something is a bit tedious. If I were able to contact some one at Carnival about this, it would help a great deal. We have sailed NCL many times and they have helped us in things like this.

Anyone have any advice about Carnival? We are on the Feb 13 sailing of the Splendor/

Cheers

Len

I put an email address as the second post on this thread. have you tried that?

I found this but didnt try it

Guest Access Department {formerly called Special Needs}

at 1-800-438-6744 Extension 70025

9 – 5:30 PM ET

Edited by hftmrock

The fruit soups are vegetarian. The hot soups are typically made with either chicken or beef stock. The mushroom dishes are typically not vegetarian.

Try to search for a cruise critic poster by the name of Kurt Jerome Wild. He is vegetarian, and has done a lot of research. Might be from a couple of years ago. He might have stopped cruising.

Good luck!

While I do not eat Kosher foods, I do have a special dietary need. I have Celiac disease and must eat gluten free. Every night, someone comes to our table and takes my order for the following day. They do this for everyone requiring a special diet. All you need to do upon boarding the ship the first day is to make your way to the dining room and speak to the Maitre d' and he will make note to have his assistant take care of your dietary restrictions.

Happy cruising!