smoking permitted in all cabins ???

CCJack

While it may not be feasible to run a completely smoke free ship it should be easy to designate some cabins as smoke free. I guarantee you that there are enough folks that don't smoke that would find a smoke free room to be an attractive option. While some idiot smokers will smoke in a smoke free room MOST smokers would take the room but not smoke in it. Restaurants made a big deal about separate non-smoking sections until they realized that the non-smoking sections were always full and the smoking section had the empty tables. Bottom line - if Carnival wants to accomodate its passengers (both smoking and non-smoking) then it can do so with no negative impact on the bottom line. I'm not advocating putting the smokers in a dinghy behind the ship but temporary smoke (e.g., in a bar) is completely different from 24/7 smoke in a cabin. I can't say that I've heard of any fires in a cabin but then I haven't following the news on ship incidents that closely. Nevertheless it is an established fact that smoking in bed is a fire risk. I'm sure the cruise lines would prefer not to have to repair burn marks in the carpet and bedspreads (those have been noted by cruise critic passengers).

Ya know, I think cruiselines would make more money from me if they had designated non-smoking rooms. Why would they? Because let's say they know no matter what at least a third of the ship will be non-smokers so a third of each cabin category is designanted non-smoking. I am a guy that tends to cruise as cheap as possible and book inside guarantees. If I know my only chance of getting a non-smoking room (which I will take if offered) is to pay for an upper category balcony, all of a sudden I am spending alot more money and alot more time in my room.

Michael

As seems to be the case with all non-smokers.

Why can't it just be a bad habit instead of a filthy one?

Because of the gross and dirty particulate matter left behind. I truly didn't really how nasty smoking was from a dirt standpoint until my MIL died. I grew up in a smoke free home and was seldom around smokers until.

My MIL, who hereself was a chain smoker and married to one, left a house that took massive repainting of several coats. Light fixtures were caked in yellow goo. It was just nasty and a shock since she was OCD and cleaned most surfaces constantly.

Michael

As a former hotel manager, I can tell you absolutely from a logistical point that having smoking and non smoking rooms was a nightmare. If you think that non smoking room you are in hasn't had a smoker in it you would be mistaken. Sure there are those that smoke in a non-smoking room but the frequency of smokers who violate the policy is less than a room that is open to smoking.

As for burn holes in bedspreads, firstly, I haven't really seen any because of the synthetic fabric they are made with. Hotel bedspreads (90% of hotels) melt, they don't burn. I don't know what hotel you worked for but I've been in plenty and yes there are burn marks in many hotels.

As far as a cruise ship goes, I'd be disgusted if I walked into a room that had cigarette burns all over a bedspread and would be finding the hotel manager immediately.

I am coming up on my second anniversary of non smoking and seeing things from both sides, it seems the rabid non smokers are the worst. Well, you are just begining to smell again. Give another year and you will join the non-smoking ****s.

Smokers know it is a bad habit and that smoking can kill you. We don't need anyone else telling us this.

Smoking is a drug addiction. Smoking is the fastest delivery system known to man to get nicotine to your brain. You see it isn't the cigarette we are addicted to but the nicotine inside the cigarette (tobacco in its natural form contains very little nicotine, the tobacco companies added the nicotine which is why they are paying billions for education).

No doubt. Glad you were able to quit. Lung cancer is one of the worst possible ways to die. I'm sure you've heard the horror stories (screaming agony, severing spinal cords to reduce pain etc). Non-smokers understand that one week of exposure is not going to kill you. But smokers don't understand that many non-smokers are extremely sensitive to smoke - - out of control sneezing, running nose, asthma attacks etc. Basically, a non-smokers picks up a bad cold for the week. Not really desirable. Seems reasonable to me to allow smoking in the bars and on the outside decks but eliminate smoking in at least some cabins. I'll have to forward that suggestion to Carnival. ;)

No doubt. Glad you were able to quit. Lung cancer is one of the worst possible ways to die. I'm sure you've heard the horror stories (screaming agony, severing spinal cords to reduce pain etc). Non-smokers understand that one week of exposure is not going to kill you. But smokers don't understand that many non-smokers are extremely sensitive to smoke - - out of control sneezing, running nose, asthma attacks etc. Basically, a non-smokers picks up a bad cold for the week. Not really desirable. Seems reasonable to me to allow smoking in the bars and on the outside decks but eliminate smoking in at least some cabins. I'll have to forward that suggestion to Carnival. ;)

hebejeebe, the strangest thing is that I helped my best friend nurse her father to his death from lung cancer and was there in the last stages. Yes, it was horrible.

What is even more horrible was even that didn't make me quit.

I had to make a pact with God in order to quit.

:)

One last think, for the love of Elvis, PLEASE find nicer hotels to say in!:D

LOL Duck, don't let the government even hear you mention the 25% of the population quitting... they wouldn't know what to do without the additional 20+ Billion a year it gets from the taxes :eek:

Save the money on research and other smoking health related expenditures.

Michael

[quote name='yogimax']No one here suggested starting an argument. But I am curious, what might the compromise be?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread until now. Perhaps you could nicely approach the neighbor who smokes and work out a compromise on times for you each to enjoy your balconies without inconveniencing the other. I'm not saying they'll agree, but it's worth a try so you can both be happy. You might also suggest that they try to limit their smoking to one or two cigarettes at a time if you both want to be out at the same time. I know I'd much prefer someone asking me nicely to compromise than have them get mad or spray Fabreeze in my direction. ;)

Archived