Feb/March Round Trip - Any More Useful Tips?

BORDER REIVER

Only 6 weeks to go and although we've sorted out all major things like clothing, cameras, excursions etc, I'm sure there will be a number of minor details that we've overlooked that might make a difference to our Hurtigruten experience.

I've read a couple of Hurtigruten trip reports that said that the "mattress topper" (sheet?) wasn't as clean as expected. Has anyone else had that experience & is there any point in us bringing light sleeping bag liners?

Someone complained that the towels were thin...surely not.

Any tips on where and when we might need Norwegian currency.

How about soaps / shampoos / first aid kit / medication - or are most of these provided?

What are the best motion sickness preventions (available in UK)? I've seen pics of Hurtigruten ships in really wild seas & I'm very nervous of being so ill that I might stop enjoying it.

Would binoculars be handy at that time of year? or a head torch?

Sunscreen & factor? Light cabin slippers?

Thanks again for any help given.

I've read a couple of Hurtigruten trip reports that said that the "mattress topper" (sheet?) wasn't as clean as expected. Has anyone else had that experience & is there any point in us bringing light sleeping bag liners?

Someone complained that the towels were thin...surely not.

I honestly never had any issue with the quality or cleanliness of either sheets or towels. On a round trip your sheet will be changed once (around Kirkenes I think) but I guess if you have a problem with your sheet or want them changed more often it could be arranged at the reception. The towels can be changed daily if you want (as often, it's your call : leave them on the floor and they will be changed). I don't think it is necessary to bring sheets or towels.

Any tips on where and when we might need Norwegian currency.

If you are staying in Oslo or Bergen before/after your trip this is where I had the most use of NOK, or during the trip if you want to buy a light snack or a couple postcards. I paid most of my expenses outside the boat by credit card, but check with your bank in case you have added fees for foreign use. On board every purchase will be charged to your "cruise card" and you pay only once at the end of the trip.

How about soaps / shampoos / first aid kit / medication - or are most of these provided?

There is an "all-purpose" (shampoo/shower gel) soap dispenser in the bathroom, but you might want to bring your own if you are attached to the quality (it's not bad, but it's basic). There is no doctor on board (not really necessary since the ship is never far away from a port), maybe there is some first aid available at reception but I would bring a small first aid kit and also basic medication (pain reliever and so on).

What are the best motion sickness preventions (available in UK)? I've seen pics of Hurtigruten ships in really wild seas & I'm very nervous of being so ill that I might stop enjoying it.

I am not prone to motion sickness so hopefully you get better advice, but one of the motion sickness prevention that seems to be in favor is the scopolamine patch. It requires a prescription and there are some side-effects so check with your doctor. Bear in mind that even if there are some open sea stretch in the journey, they are usually not very long, a couple hours (except the Barents Sea, mostly between Honningsvag and Kirkenes, by then you will have you sea legs! ;) ). The side effect of the medication (drowsiness/sleepiness for instance) could last longer than that. Most of the ships have efficient stabilizers (all of them except MS Lofoten, actually).

Would binoculars be handy at that time of year? or a head torch? Sunscreen & factor? Light cabin slippers?

Thanks again for any help given.

Binoculars yes, sunscreen yes. Head torch, probably not. Slippers, it's really up to you. If you think you will spend some time indoors, you might want lighter shoes to be more comfortable, if like me you want to be ready to head out at any moment should something interesting happen outside, maybe not necessary.

If you have many electric appliances that need to be charged, the electric plug on board are of "European" type (two round holes) so you will need an adapter for your UK plugs, and maybe also a multisocket adapter because there are not that many plugs, and on some ships only one works when you exit the cabin (the other will work by putting your "cruise card" in a slot, but when you go out you need to take your cruise card with you).

I will try to think of other things!

Thanks again for the good information.

Maybe the complaints about towels & sheets were just one or two persons opinions. It's always worth checking with some other travellers for their own experiences and opinions anyway. It sounds as though we'll be happy enough with what's provided by Hurtigruten in all areas. We'll take some NOK in case we want a coffee when exploring ashore.

I'll speak to a pharmacist about various options for sea-sickness, but the patch sounds like it might not be a good option because of the side effects. Ginger has worked for me when flying - I'll take some of that as well.

The torch idea was only because I thought it might be handy for seeing my camera controls in the dark, out on deck. Maybe the decks are well lit anyway.

Everything else you suggest, I already own, but wasn't sure what to take.

Now we know.....thanks.

The torch idea was only because I thought it might be handy for seeing my camera controls in the dark, out on deck. Maybe the decks are well lit anyway.

Oh, OK. Yes the decks are well lit but if you want to take pictures of the Northern Lights you will look for a darker area so maybe the torch could be useful in that case. But on the other hand the light of the torch can be a problem as well. I don't know.

I would do the basic setting of the camera (ISO, aperture, manual focus, etc...) before going outside, I would only change the shutter length outside depending on the intensity of the aurora. My camera has a lit back screen (which I used with a "dim" setting) so it was rather easy to do even in the dark. Maybe practise playing with your camera setting in the dark before leaving! ;) If you flick on/off the light all the time it is pretty distracting and your eyes always take some time to adjust to the darkness again.

Oh, OK. Yes the decks are well lit but if you want to take pictures of the Northern Lights you will look for a darker area so maybe the torch could be useful in that case. But on the other hand the light of the torch can be a problem as well. I don't know.

I would do the basic setting of the camera (ISO, aperture, manual focus, etc...) before going outside, I would only change the shutter length outside depending on the intensity of the aurora. My camera has a lit back screen (which I used with a "dim" setting) so it was rather easy to do even in the dark. Maybe practise playing with your camera setting in the dark before leaving! ;) If you flick on/off the light all the time it is pretty distracting and your eyes always take some time to adjust to the darkness again.

That's good, I'll leave my torch at home.

My camera settings can, as you say, be pre-set. The only thing I need to see is the control for setting the timer to 2 seconds. As it's a compact camera, I cannot use a cable release, so I set it on the tripod with a 2 second delay and in that way there will be no camera movement as I press the shutter button.

It works well & even the 4 second exposure is excellent for a starry sky photo.

My camera settings can, as you say, be pre-set. The only thing I need to see is the control for setting the timer to 2 seconds. As it's a compact camera, I cannot use a cable release, so I set it on the tripod with a 2 second delay and in that way there will be no camera movement as I press the shutter button.

I don't have a remote for my camera so I did exactly what you plan to do (2 second timer). Works fine.

And indeed, as gaelsail said, sunglasses! The weather was so bad at home when we left for our March 2013 trip that I didn't think at all about sunglasses, and then we had glorious sunny weather (and when the sun shines on the snowy mountain, the light is pretty intense). I spent most of our stop in Aalesund trying to find replacement sunglasses! ;)

If you are taking a laptop. it's a good idea to bring an ethernet cord. The wireless can be weak at times, and there are ethernet outlets, at least on the Midnatsol, in the upper level of the viewing lounge in the front of the ship. Go to the "bar"/equipment area on the right side as you walk into the room. Look behind the counter and there are several ethernet outlets passengers can use.

Also, if you want to call home and you have a laptop or smart phone, you can use Skype - as long as you have an internet connection. It works really well and there's no charge as long as both ends are registered with Skype.

If your ship has a hot tub, bring your swim suit - we loved sitting in there before dinner and watching the scenery.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by RSF Cruiser

You will probably also want to take your sunglasses :) always an essential in my suitcase

Too right. After my wife had to have an operation on her eyebrow to remove sun damage (a rodent ulcer), we both bought new sunglasses that are big enough to cover the eyes, eyebrows and even the sides. No more risks.

If you are taking a laptop. it's a good idea to bring an ethernet cord. The wireless can be weak at times, and there are ethernet outlets, at least on the Midnatsol, in the upper level of the viewing lounge in the front of the ship. Go to the "bar"/equipment area on the right side as you walk into the room. Look behind the counter and there are several ethernet outlets passengers can use.

I don't possess a laptop, but can access any free wireless that's there, on my mobile phone. I'll try the wireless internet, but only to keep in touch with family.

If your ship has a hot tub, bring your swim suit - we loved sitting in there before dinner and watching the scenery.

I don't much fancy getting in and out of a hot tub if the outside temperature is -20c....or even minus anything:eek:

Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you, I'm certain we will.

It was a little chilly getting over to the hot tub. On the Midnatsol, there's a covered area to hang your clothes, and then about a 20 foot dash to get into the water. It was chilly for the dash, but not unbearable. After sitting in the hot tub, though, it was quite comfortable getting out and getting our dry clothes.

For any one who does plan to go into the hot tub, be sure to bring a beanie or something to wear on your head - you want to keep your head warm and dry while sitting in the warm water.

• 1 month later...
What ship are you on? We will be on the Finnmarken Feb 27-Mar 1

We're on the Nordnorge ...Feb 27 to March 10. Let's hope the weather and the Aurora are good for both of us. It seems to be getting colder, with temps at Kikenes back below freezing and the forecast is for them to dip a lot further over the coming days.

That's good, I'll leave my torch at home.

Lots of sound advice given in thread so I won't repeat. Just some thoughts re torch and/or headtorch.

Personally I wouldn't go on any sea voyage without a small personal torch, for emergencies if nothing else. On winter Hurtigruten trips I also take one if going ashore, even on excursions, when it's dark - & that's most of time!

I agree with Sarnia re the potential unpopularity of torches when in company with Nordlys photographers, though torches are less unpopular than people using (or failing to turn off) flash!!, which is depressingly prevalent, especially on larger ships.

I've got a headtorch with a hinged red filter which doesn't ruin night vision nor impact significantly on other photographers. I've found this really useful for adjusting tripod as well as camera settings(when necessary). Red is colour used for light by navigators on yachts, ships & planes to avoid losing night vision.

Obviously your call tho'.

Fair Winds & Weather

Have a great trip.