Rent a car in Juneau? Shopping in Ketchikan?

kambam

I'm new here and have my first Alaskan cruise booked on Golden Princess at the end of May. I've been going through these pages and they have been so helpful! I have a couple questions though...

1:We're thinking about renting a car in Juneau, and not sure which spots to hit. So far on my list I have Tracy's Crab Shack and Mendenhall Glacier to hike for a while (So far it seems like the waterfall trail is the one to take...). Where else should we plan on heading? We'll be there till 10 p.m.

2: We're planning on above for Juneau, and we think we'll be doing ziplining and train in Skagway, so I was thinking it might nice to check out the town of Ketchikan and do a little shopping. We're gunna be in port between 7 a.m. and 12:30, is there enough in walking distance to keep us busy? I've read that's a good place to shop, how should we get around and are there certain places that are musts? I've read good things about Tongass Trading Company and Chinook & Co...

OP said END of May. (not right now) :-D

Yep, even at the end of May the gift and trinket shops on the cruise ship dock don't have anything to do with Ketchikan. Just another place for people from the lower 48 to peddle their made in CHINA junk. If I was one of you tourists I'd avoid that place like the plague. You'd see more and experience more of Ketchikan by hoping on the city bus and riding it out to Totem Bight. Never could understand why people come all the way to Alaska just to buy rubber totem poles and tomahawks.

Never could understand why people come all the way to Alaska just to buy rubber totem poles and tomahawks.

Could it be because the items are cheap but worthless and worth less than the quality "made in Alaska" crafts. That is the attitude of most people to spending the large amount of money needed to buy quality hand made stuff.

DON

I'm sorry that I like to buy trinkets and Alaska sweatshirts and things like that when I travel and not spend a fortune. So your saying there are no shops that sell products that are made in Alaska in the area? Even the Salmon from Chinook & Co is from China?

We'll probably do a short excursion. But it's our last stop in Alaska, we only have a few hours, I figured it would be best to do a little souvenir shopping there.

I'm surprised by all the negativity, as I've been looking through the forum it seems as though people are usually pretty polite and helpful...

I'm new here and have my first Alaskan cruise booked on Golden Princess at the end of May. I've been going through these pages and they have been so helpful! I have a couple questions though...

1:We're thinking about renting a car in Juneau, and not sure which spots to hit. So far on my list I have Tracy's Crab Shack and Mendenhall Glacier to hike for a while (So far it seems like the waterfall trail is the one to take...). Where else should we plan on heading? We'll be there till 10 p.m.

2: We're planning on above for Juneau, and we think we'll be doing ziplining and train in Skagway, so I was thinking it might nice to check out the town of Ketchikan and do a little shopping. We're gunna be in port between 7 a.m. and 12:30, is there enough in walking distance to keep us busy? I've read that's a good place to shop, how should we get around and are there certain places that are musts? I've read good things about Tongass Trading Company and Chinook & Co...

There are only about 50 miles of road in Juneau. After visiting Mendenhall, drive along the coast and see the Shrine of St Therese and Eagle Beach, then stop at Douglass Island on your way back.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/images/junea-area-big.gif

Ketchikan is a lovely harbor town. The Visitor Info Booths provide maps for walking tours of the town. Creek St is a highlight but you're visiting too early for salmon activity. About 10 miles north of town via the local bus, is Totem Bight which is a beautiful setting and of course a great collection of totems. Can't help you with shopping ... the last thing I want to do on vacation is spend time in a store.

I suggest borrowing an Alaska travel book from your library to learn more about the ports you'll be visiting, and the sights & activities available at each.

Edited by mapleleaves

Crab feasts are a big draw in Ketchikan.

Crab Fishing with the crew of the Aleutian Ballad (Deadliest catch boat) will take you to an eagle preserve where they toss fish to hundreds of eagles. Great pictures!!!

Tongass Trading Company is open year-round (see their internet site) adjacent to the dock with tourist stuff on the main floor and outfitting for the locals upstairs. Their $20 reversible "Alaska" jackets are a must. Ulu knives upstairs don't "Alaska" marking but are what the locals buy.

I'm sorry that I like to buy trinkets and Alaska sweatshirts and things like that when I travel and not spend a fortune. So your saying there are no shops that sell products that are made in Alaska in the area? Even the Salmon from Chinook & Co is from China?

The great bulk of the items in the gift shops located near the cruise docks are not actually made in Alaska. Just because the packaging has "Alaska" on the label doesn't mean that it was made here.

If you are looking for items actually made here, then look for for the "bear" symbol. This program is administered by the Division of Economic Development, and if you check their website you will find both the bear image and a list of permit holders (http://www.commerce.alaska.gov/ded/dev/mia/permit).

Additionally, there is a second program for Alaskan Native (First People) artists. This is the "Silver Hand" program. The website for this program is http://www.eed.state.ak.us/aksca.

I know that the items that say Alaska on it aren't made in Alaska. I just like a variety of souvenirs and gifts. I like items that say Alaska on it, especially for gifts. Plus, I tend to always get a sweatshirt or jacket from wherever I travel. But, I'm also looking for items that are made in Alaska too. Thank you for the tips on what to look for though.

Thanks for all the ideas!

I plan on walking around Ketchikan myself when I'm there in late August/early September. I'll be doing the Tracy Arm boat excursion to Sawyer glacier the next day. Is it a safe bet to not pack a heavy, warm, waterproof jacket and then buy one of the AK $20 ones that I hear so much about? I haven't pulled the jacket I have out in years but I'm pretty sure it is too big on me and is super bulky (think snow jacket). So if I can leave it at home but still have adequate coverage on the boat to Sawyer Glacier, I'd like to do so.

Hubs and I have been two Alaska three times. Renting a car in Juneau is one of our favorite things to do!

Driving up to Mendenhall is a great idea. I would then come back down and head out to Eagle's Beach, you drive past the Shrine of St. Therese, which is worth a stop. We went all the way down to where the road ended and then came back. We stopped at Eagles Beach and few other places that looked scenic to us and took pictures and walked around. Then heading back to town we stopped at the Shrine. As you get closer to the city there is an awesome view of the Mendenhall Glacier, but if you want a really, really good view - drive over to Douglas Island and turn right. Just follow the road as far as it goes. You'll get to a point you can look back over to Juneau and see the glaciers. Totally breathtaking! Watch for porcupines and marmots along the way - they like the grass next to the road. I bet this view at night would be amazing with all the lights!

Just be aware that there is no food on the way out Eagle's Beach so stop in town and get lunch to take with you or at the Wal-Mart and you can have a little picnic while you explore.

In Skagway - two times we have had our kids with us and we've rented a car and drove over the summit ourselves. It was fun and adventurous both times. I've seen the train video and I think we had way more fun! We stopped in Carcross and got ice cream that didn't just melt in a minute (like it does in Florida where we're from), we went to the Carcross Dessert, Emerald Lake and this last trip we went all the way to Whitehorse. We stop on the way and admire the views - the way the scenery changes is amazing! On the way back to Skagway this past summer we saw a bear and a lynx both from the car as we were driving. Very, very cool! If you aren't going to Whitehorse your foot options are kind of limited if you chose to drive. I recommend getting some sandwiches to go from anyplace in town and having a picnic. It will be colder at the top so bring your jackets!

The one other time we've been there we did a 4x4 excursion in Haines. The excursion wasn't very fun or worth the money. But the ferry ride to Haines and the city itself were very enjoyable. If we went back I'd look for some kind of river float in Haines. Either way, if you have time check out the little museum and the walking tour offered through the park service in Skagway. It was a very good.

Ketchikan - first time we went we did a great kayaking tour with Southeast Kayaks. We had our kids with us and they did such a great job keeping them and us entertained (and warm! - it was September). The other two times in Ketchikan we have chosen to just walk around. If you grab a map there are some nice totem poles and Creek Street is a must see. The Lumber Jack show is kinda hokey, but fun and is right near where most of the ships doc. You can book it on your own. This is the port I do most of my shopping in so just walking around and shopping makes for a great day!

Have fun planning!

I wish we had had more time in Ketchikan. We took the Duck tour (it was fun...we were coming down with a cold or something and it was a gloomy day, so it was a nice way to see a lot of the town). Then we took our walking map and walked around the town. We went to the Totem Heritage Museum which was interesting and informative. We bought some souvenirs and stuff on Creek Street. A lot of stores there seemed to be run by locals and there was a lot of local artwork. We bought a nice knife for our son and a handpainted Christmas ornament. Dolly's was closed by the time we got there but we would have gone in, had it been open. We did end up in one of the t-shirt places because hubby wanted a pile of cheap tees for his co-workers' kids. I also grabbed a fistful of totem pole fridge magnets ($1.99 each!). No, these items weren't made in Alaska, but we didn't expect they would be.

Frankly, I have no problem with buying cheap Chinese made junk in Alaska (though the reproduction Native Masks are usually made in Indonesia). Juneau has changed so much since I was a child, I can't tell if I am in Juneau or St. Thomas. It pretty much looks like every other cruise port I have been to in the world.

Anyway, I am not a shopper, but I know a bit about Juneau.

Tampafish gave some excellent advice on Juneau and he has definitely touched on most of the major points.

I think the Mendenhall Glacier is pretty much a must see. It is a beautiful setting and makes for a great Christmas card picture if you are there on a sunny day. While you are there, a hike to the falls will give you the best views with the least amount of effort. The last time I hiked it took me about 45 minutes.

I also recommend checking out the Steep Creek Trail, which starts at the far corner of the 2nd parking lot away from the glacier. The trail has an elevated boardwalk over a creek. The part of the walkway over the creek and meadow is where I watch for bears. Like viewing any other wild animal, it is about being at the right place at the right time. However, you ain't going to see one if you don't look. In May, odds won't be on your side as the fish aren't running up the stream yet, but I have seen the bears eating grass in the meadow in early June. I always recommend people take 1 or 20 minutes and see if they get lucky with seeing a bear.

If you head across to Douglas and turn left, you'll hit an area the locals call Sandy Beach (I think the real name of the place is Savikko Park, but I've never heard it called that). The area offers some respectable views and can be a nice, easy walk if you just want to get away from a lot of people.

The Shrine of St. Therese is a beautiful stop IMHO. It is not a stop that will take up a ton of time, but it is a beautiful, peaceful setting. Though rare, I've seen whales run pretty close to shore along here. Most likely you won't see one along the water, but keep your eyes open and you might get lucky.

Eagle Beach is a popular stop, but I've never figured out why to be honest. It isn't a place to avoid, but it isn't on my list of must do's either.

Beyond Eagle Beach, there are some pull outs overlooking the water (at least there used to be, they redid the road a few years ago). There are some islands called Benjamin Island and North Island. In the past, I've seen whales frequent the area around the islands. Worst case scenario, I think they offer beautiful views.

As Tampafish mentioned, there is a pull out by the Glacier highway and Industrial Blvd. This offers a very respectable view of the glacier. Down Industrial Blvd about a block, you'll see a red building that vaguely resembles a barn. This is the Sandbar. I have not eaten there in probably 5+ years, but they used to have very good deep fried halibut.

On a sunny day, I like to go up the tram. It is a bit spendy and not a "must do", but it is a cool ride and you can hike some higher altitude trails which offer some great views.

Normally I'd recommend the fish hatchery, but I think you are going to be a bit early. In May, I don't think the fish ladder is running. You might see some fisherman going for kings, but that is about it.

If you have a child with you, there is a beautiful playground at Twin Lakes. When I say beautiful, it is the nicest free playground I've seen anywhere in the world.

If collecting seashells is of interest, then you could stop at Auke Rec. There isn't a ton for seashells there (mainly clams, muscles, and cockles), but it is an annual stop for me as my kids from the midwest think that is the best place ever. Even if they aren't with me, they always want shells from there. If you think you might want to do this, I'd recommend bringing a stiff nylon brush to scrub the shells when you get back to the cabin.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope this helps.

In Skagway - two times we have had our kids with us and we've rented a car and drove over the summit ourselves. It was fun and adventurous both times. I've seen the train video and I think we had way more fun! We stopped in Carcross and got ice cream that didn't just melt in a minute (like it does in Florida where we're from), we went to the Carcross Dessert, Emerald Lake and this last trip we went all the way to Whitehorse. We stop on the way and admire the views - the way the scenery changes is amazing! On the way back to Skagway this past summer we saw a bear and a lynx both from the car as we were driving. Very, very cool! If you aren't going to Whitehorse your foot options are kind of limited if you chose to drive. I recommend getting some sandwiches to go from anyplace in town and having a picnic. It will be colder at the top so bring your jackets!

This will be our first trip & we're likely to rent a car in Skagway and do this drive, at least up to Carcross. Is the additional trip from Carcross to Whitehorse worth it? It looks like an extra 50 miles each way.

Hi-

We went on the Golden Princess in late May two years ago and stopped in Ketchikan. The town was a very short walk from the ship and the shopping is a lot of fun. You can get expensive Eskimo art or inexpensive trinkets (including Russian "nesting" dolls) that are great reminders of the trip.

And if you like salmon, it's paradise. There's salmon everywhere, sold in every which way.

Ketchikan is also quite picturesque. Just a word of warning--it has a high amount of rainfall and it was raining the whole time we were there. But that shouldn't deter you from having a fabulous time! If you're interested, I have a posting on my blog about planning a trip to Alaska. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

I love to see people rent a car in Juneau. If you've got port time, it's the best way to see the sights. At the glacier, after spending time at the Visitor Center area, drive back the way you came, but at the T in the road, go toward Auke Bay. (We don't have a lot of roads, so this will all be obvious) If you have maps on your phone, it'll be easy enough to get directions from it as well. Ask it for directions to Skater's Cabin for another view of the glacier from the other side.

Just be aware that there is no food on the way out Eagle's Beach so stop in town and get lunch to take with you or at the Wal-Mart and you can have a little picnic while you explore.

There is plenty of food on the way out the road. If you don't take the 'back way' after the glacier, the valley area is full of restaurants and stores, including Safeway with a deli. If you do go straight to Auke Bay, there's The Hot Bite down by the dock, which is very good, DeHart's, with to-go food, and The Waffle Company with soup/sandwiches in the shopping area across from the docks. The Devil's Hideaway is in the Squire's Rest bar and has great burgers/tacos/bar food. Once you leave Auke Bay, there's no food or gas, so assure that you have both.

As Tampafish mentioned, there is a pull out by the Glacier highway and Industrial Blvd. This offers a very respectable view of the glacier. Down Industrial Blvd about a block, you'll see a red building that vaguely resembles a barn. This is the Sandbar. I have not eaten there in probably 5+ years, but they used to have very good deep fried halibut.

The Sandbar still has the best deep-friend halibut. It's up to about $14 a serving, but well worth it.

Edited to add: BTW, the same couple who run Tracy's Crab Shack have taken over a sports bar in the Mendenhall Mall, McGiveny's, and serve her bisque and crabcakes, so if that's on your to-do list in Juneau, you can enjoy her food while out by the glacier.

Edited by tee_harbor

Edited to add: BTW, the same couple who run Tracy's Crab Shack have taken over a sports bar in the Mendenhall Mall, McGiveny's, and serve her bisque and crabcakes, so if that's on your to-do list in Juneau, you can enjoy her food while out by the glacier.

No kidding? Are they open year round in the Valley or is it just another summer attraction?

Edited by slider728

No kidding? Are they open year round in the Valley or is it just another summer attraction?

Year round, which makes the locals very happy. :D I've heard a rumor that they've also taken over a downtown restaurant whose owner ran into tax trouble but I need to substantiate that with my sources.

We walked around in Ketchikan when we were there in August 2012. It is easy to do and it's easy to find your way around.

Ketchikan has a variety of stores so you should be able to find whatever you want.

If you're interested in seeing pictures, you might want to click on the link below. It will take you to a slide show my wife made with pictures she took in Ketchikan.

Ketchikan ~ A Walk Around Town

Happy Cruising!