Why such bad timing for TWT?

MVPinBoynton

I am tossing up between the TWT, Katishna Wilderness Trails (same as Katishna Experience) or the shuttles to Eilson.

As we are from Australia and very unlikely to return, what would be best option for us. I have already gleened from the earlier posts that the TWT only "just" makes the grade for seeing as much as possible and would be the bare minimum.

Is there any form of commentary on the shuttles or is that dependant on the driver? There is quite a large price difference.

Thanks, Hugh

Commentary on the shuttles is dependent on the driver. I've had great shuttle drivers for my 4 trips into Denali. They talked about history, geology, wildlife and seemed genuinely excited at every sighting. Most people tip a dollar or 2, so it's to the drivers advantage to make the most of the trip.

The beauty of the shuttle is ... if you are unlucky and get an disinterested driver you can hop off, walk along the road for a bit then flag down another bus.

Is this a one-time, one-day visit to Denali? I've only gone as far as Eielson which is a wonderful destination and have had great wildlife sightings. On the last trip (end of Aug) I booked a seat to Wonder Lake hoping the mtn would be visible; it wasn't, so I only went as far as Eielson. If you choose to hike a bit at eielson there is a dispatcher who can assist with finding seats on a return bus. Have a great trip!

Take the 5 am TWT. (Ours was actually at 6:40)

Take into account that Alaska is 4 hours different than Florida.

So 5am in Alaska is 9am in Florida.

IMO it won't be hard to be on time for a 5am tour under those conditions.

And it will likely be daylight, or nearly so unless your trip is in September.:)

Take the 5 am TWT. (Ours was actually at 6:40)

Take into account that Alaska is 4 hours different than Florida.

So 5am in Alaska is 9am in Florida.

IMO it won't be hard to be on time for a 5am tour under those conditions.

And it will likely be daylight, or nearly so unless your trip is in September.:)

Since we will have been on the northbound cruise before, 5:00 AM would still feel very early. :D

We will be in Alaska end August and finalising our plans. We will be self driving pre cruise and staying at Healy for our Denali visit.

I am tossing up between the TWT, Katishna Wilderness Trails (same as Katishna Experience) or the shuttles to Eilson.

As we are from Australia and very unlikely to return, what would be best option for us. I have already gleened from the earlier posts that the TWT only "just" makes the grade for seeing as much as possible and would be the bare minimum.

Is there any form of commentary on the shuttles or is that dependant on the driver? There is quite a large price difference.

Thanks, Hugh

Denali is not about the "commentary", it's about the moment by moment views you are seeing. Frankly, this timeframe is Wonder Lake for me. I never recommend the day Kantishna trip. It's a big cost, for not getting much, in my opinion. Far superior for overnight guests.

Denali is not about the "commentary", it's about the moment by moment views you are seeing. Frankly, this timeframe is Wonder Lake for me. I never recommend the day Kantishna trip. It's a big cost, for not getting much, in my opinion. Far superior for overnight guests.

Thank you and Mapleleaves for your comments. Take it then that best value is to book early shuttle to Wonder Lake and if the weather is bad we could always turn around at Eilson.

I see the schedule is out and looks like 7.15am would be the latest one to catch if we go all the way to WL and be back in reasonable time for dinner (somewhere).

Hugh.

Thank you and Mapleleaves for your comments. Take it then that best value is to book early shuttle to Wonder Lake and if the weather is bad we could always turn around at Eilson.

I see the schedule is out and looks like 7.15am would be the latest one to catch if we go all the way to WL and be back in reasonable time for dinner (somewhere).

Hugh.

My priority is never "dinner" when I'm in Alaska. :) Including on the ship. Having food with me, and enjoying the beauty of Alaska is my only goal. Certainly, MANY people think otherwise.

My priority is never "dinner" when I'm in Alaska. :) Including on the ship. Having food with me, and enjoying the beauty of Alaska is my only goal. Certainly, MANY people think otherwise.

Well if they let us take a cooler (ice box, Eski) then that might be a different story:p

Edited by cassamanda

We used the Salmon Bake shuttle to get to our Eilson shuttle last summer. It's just across the street and ran on time--it's best to let them know in advance for the earlier departures. We felt like the $10/pp charge for the Princess shuttle was sort of a ripoff considering the distance involved. We ended up walking back because of timing and it was a pleasant walk.

We used the Salmon Bake shuttle to get to our Eilson shuttle last summer. It's just across the street and ran on time--it's best to let them know in advance for the earlier departures. We felt like the $10/pp charge for the Princess shuttle was sort of a ripoff considering the distance involved. We ended up walking back because of timing and it was a pleasant walk.

I was going to look on the map to see how close the Salmon Bake was to the Princess Lodge to try for dinner. I had no idea it was so close. Thanks for that info. I see that the shuttle runs 24 hours a day. I am surprised. I will do some more research on it. Apparently it only leaves every 1.5 hours.