Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

Thank you so much for "taking me along" with you on this fabulous trip! We did this cruise several years ago, and your pictures bring back memories. Sadly, we won't be traveling this year due to some pending surgery (not life threatening), and your posts provide me with my travel fix!

Jan. 26, Sunday: Cruising New Zealand’s Fiordlands National Park. We will get off of the Solstice in the morning during our visit in Milford Sound and go on a two-day ship excursion with an overnight stay in Queenstown. This community, with its dramatic setting on a large lake and facing a massive, sawtooth mountain range, is known as the “crazy capital of the world”. Why? This is where bungee jumping was invented 25 years ago. Plus, many other extreme sports started or are practiced here. We will stop and see the stone, suspension bridge crossing a scenic river gorge where it all started. But, no bungee jumping for us!! We will also see an old gold-rush town, a winery and a ranch sheep/dog program. Others on our ship will sail to Doubtful Sound & Dusky Sound. Lots of natural drama and sights here with the fjords, mountains, water views, etc.

Jan. 27, Monday: Dunedin, NZ, 9 am-7 pm docked. For those doing the Queenstown excursion, we will re-join the ship in this town that means Edinburgh in Gaelic. This town retains its Scottish roots and has Victorian/Edwardian architecture, a legacy of New Zealand's 1860’s gold rush.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Rough conditions has stopped most ships getting into Milford Sound in the last few days. Fiordlands National Park has a high rate of ships sailing by.

Hope all works out well for you with the X Cyclone activity in the Pacific.

Enjoying the reports so far.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/index.shtml

Thank you so much for "taking me along" with you on this fabulous trip! We did this cruise several years ago, and your pictures bring back memories. Sadly, we won't be traveling this year due to some pending surgery (not life threatening), and your posts provide me with my travel fix!

JFlattails: TLC' date=' have you seen a cassowary yet? None were at the Taronga Zoo! [/quote']

MicCanberra: Great pics Terry' date=' glad you are having such a good time. cheers [/quote']

Appreciate all of the nice comments and follow-ups. For JFlattails, we'll probably skip the Taronga Zoo here. Got great views of the harbor and shoreline areas on a Captain Cook harbor tour yesterday. Our friends, Ed and Karen, did see cassowary in the Sidney at another wildlife location. MicCanberra has been very helpful with his great Aussie knowledge and interests, etc.

We are now just two hours till we will be boarding the Solstice in super spectacular Sydney harbor with our neighbors of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge for our Jan. 20-Feb. 3 Sydney to Auckland cruise. Getting closer!! In fact, it's here!!

Below are just a few samples from our first afternoon in Sidney, including doing a harbor boat tour, seeing the Rocks historic area with a shopping/market day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 158,754 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are a few samples of Sidney from our harbor boat tour, including the Opera House, a red-version of the Aussie Flag, a beach scene with its nice bathhouse building, etc.:

GBRLizIslanReef_zps0ee5c36b.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef4_zps0386d2f0.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef3_zps0a66e26b.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef6_zps9fb130d7.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef2_zps01d11c1b.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef1_zps25c7c46e.jpg

Here are some more of my photo samples from our first afternoon and evening in wonderful and charming Sidney.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 131,975 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is more Sidney views, including this first shot of retail action at the market in the nearby Rocks, seeing Luna Park on the other side of the Harbour Bridge, etc.:

GBRLizIslanReef9_zpsf852448e.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef5_zpsacc65f85.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef10_zps285b8b38.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef5_zpsacc65f85.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef7_zps69ef4886.jpg

Finally, here is a night shot of the Opera House from our window of the Four Seasons Hotel on the 7th floor. Cool!!:

GBRLizIslanReef11_zps19b8f840.jpg

More great pics, I never get tired of seing shots of sydney harbour and the iconic landmarks.:D

Happy to please and satisfy such a smart and helpful Aussie. Keep it coming.

Just did the Opera House tour and planning on seeing one of their opera production, Magical Flute, by Mozart, tomorrow at 11 am. Great and interesting tour. Lots more good visuals to come.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 158,754 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Happy to please and satisfy such a smart and helpful Aussie. Keep it coming.

Just did the Opera House tour and planning on seeing one of their opera production, Magical Flute, by Mozart, tomorrow at 11 am. Great and interesting tour. Lots more good visuals to come.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry FROM Ohio

You will love the tour, it is fascinating.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Stunning pictures! Don't be nervous re the Tasman sea, it was like a mill pond when we were on it. We had worse seas out of Sydney to Melbourne. You never can tell.:confused:

Appreciate the good insights from Jackie & Adrian on the sometimes challenging Tasman Sea. Will share this encouragement with those in our group, plus report back later for how things actually work out for us on this sailing.

Am doing the Sidney Harbour Bridgewalk at 8:05 pm tonight. It's a little misty right now, but we'll see how it works, what I get to see for this type of evening. My wife and others are passing on this "opportunity". One friend noted: "I'm crazy, but not stupid!" I think that I will do just fine.

More Australia/Sidney/Solistice reporting and pictures tomorrow.

We are all unpack now on the ship. Did a light dining in Oceanview Cafe as this walk conflicts with the normal dining time of 8:30 pm.

Any questions for me to be checking out while on board?

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 15,634 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Terry,

I remember your wonderful posts and photos from some other destination. I think perhaps you stopped in to the roll call thread for my January 2012 Century cruise with this itinerary.

Anyway, I haven't finished reading your 1st post yet (loving it, as always) but I wanted to mention that you can spend all day in Te Papa, in Wellington, and be happy. We actually spent more time in the botanical gardens (our favorite amongst Sydney, Hobart and Wellington) so we ran out of time at Te Papa.

At the botanical gardens, we were particularly in love with the rose gardens, and the hothouse next to the roses. At Te Papa, be sure to look at the outside-the-entrance "exhibit" showing their earthquake preparedness building methods.

Bon voyage to you, to all your friends, and to everybody on the Solstice. You've sailed already and didn't you just love the exit through Sydney Harbour???!!! I hope you had sunny weather.

--May

TLC, have you seen a cassowary yet? None were at the Taronga Zoo!

Hi JFlattails and welcome to CC. :)

You're onto a great board here with Terry taking us along on his trip Down Under and his pics are always just amazing. Enjoy with the rest of us landlubbers following him along!

I've seen a Cassowary, the most odd looking bird I've ever seen in my life :D

Hi Terry,

I am following your long awaited trip with much interest as we will be following you down under in 4 weeks, joining the beautiful Solstice in Perth, for a 17 night Australia cruise, disembarking in Sydney.

Your photos are stunning and informative as usual. I'm sure your extensive research is paying off as you pack as much as possible into each day.

How is the Solstice looking?

Great to hear the Aussies are such a friendly lot. I'm expecting them all to be like MicCanberra, permanently smiling :D

Hi Terry,

I am following your long awaited trip with much interest as we will be following you down under in 4 weeks, joining the beautiful Solstice in Perth, for a 17 night Australia cruise, disembarking in Sydney.

Your photos are stunning and informative as usual. I'm sure your extensive research is paying off as you pack as much as possible into each day.

How is the Solstice looking?

Great to hear the Aussies are such a friendly lot. I'm expecting them all to be like MicCanberra, permanently smiling :D

I think we are for the most part happy people, although there are always acceptions. I hope your journey to australia is a great one and the weathe ris kinder than our cricket team (at the moment).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Terry, Just curious about the tour company you used for the GBR trip, would you be so kind as to post the name or link to this company. Love your pics and blog. Gypsy Lady

Getting ready to sail away from Sidney in 30 minutes on a perfect weather day. Appreciate the continued and added nice comments. Will post more info in the next few days on the air tour company for the GBR adventure. Will have sea days for three of the next four days. That will allow catch-up on the many added pictures, details, etc.

Getting ready to sail away from Sidney in 30 minutes on a perfect weather day. Appreciate the continued and added nice comments. Will post more info in the next few days on the air tour company for the GBR adventure. Will have sea days for three of the next four days. That will allow catch-up on the many added pictures, details, etc.

its Sydney Terry not Sidney.. but we will forgive you if you look after Solstice for us :p .BTW please report as to Volume of the on board music

Best regards

John & Jean

Thanks Terry for all the great photos and insights!!!

Duncan (AussieCruiser) suggested I check your blog for ideas for a planned trip in 2014.

Great info and new places I want to see- I'll never get it all in but will have fun trying!!

Btw- you'll be happy to hear we're in the throes of another Polar Vortex- and your group is missing it!!!

Rosa