Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

As I am “catching up” from earlier parts of our travels, below are some of the visuals from one of our Hobart, Tasmania, port stops. This included driving some distance to Port Arthur, the famed British penal colony on this island. We saw in traveling there, the check-point of dogs to keep prisoners from escaping this somewhat remote location. Conditions were not good in these facilities, but many also viewed conditions at this time in London to be very bad. Remember Charles Dickens’ Tale of Two Cities?

It's funny you mention Charles Dickens in regards to Tasmanias penal colonies. Did you know that Ikey Solomon, the historical figure that it is widely regarded as being the basis for the character Fagin for Charles Dickens Oliver was transported to Tasmania and was imprisoned at Port Arthur?

It's a fictional account but the book The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtney is a facsinating read about this story :)

It's funny you mention Charles Dickens in regards to Tasmanias penal colonies. Did you know that Ikey Solomon, the historical figure that it is widely regarded as being the basis for the character Fagin for Charles Dickens Oliver was transported to Tasmania and was imprisoned at Port Arthur?

It's a fictional account but the book The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtney is a facsinating read about this story :)

Yes a good read, but be warned if you progress to Courtney's 'Tommo and Hawk' novel, it is very graphic.

Terry, thanks so much for taking the time to share your adventure with us.

I've followed you on your past journeys and this one is just as amazing, really appreciate your hard work.

Lovely to put a face to your name too! Thanks.

Hope you continue to have a wonderful holiday.

Karin

Terry thanks for taking the time to blog - great to be able to follow your travels

Good for you that the exchange rate has improved for you (although the NZ$ is having a good run at the moment

Enjoy NZ - I'm reading your posts in anticipation of enjoying a similar tour around NZ later in the year

Bon Voyage!

Yes a good read, but be warned if you progress to Courtney's 'Tommo and Hawk' novel, it is very graphic.

thanks for the book tips...just ordered them from my library...

we will be visiting the maori treaty signing area in the Bay of islands and also the convict town in Tasmania...

Johanne

Hi Terry. I just discovered your blog, and I'm absolutely captivated. My wife Sara and I will be on the Solstice going from Auckland to Sydney on 4 January next year, so I'm tracking your every move. The advice from you and your readers is priceless!!!

Enjoy the trip -- I'm a fan.

Jay and Sara

Terry,

Thank you so much for taking the time and expense to do this live report. Your reporting and pictures are amazing. We do not plan to head down under but we are planning to take an Alaska cruise on Solstice in 2015 when the schedule comes out. So it is great to follow your report and get your first hand view of the ship.

thanks again.

Hi Terry. I just discovered your blog, and I'm absolutely captivated. My wife Sara and I will be on the Solstice going from Auckland to Sydney on 4 January next year, so I'm tracking your every move. The advice from you and your readers is priceless!!! Enjoy the trip -- I'm a fan. Jay and Sara

Terry, thanks so much for taking the time to share your adventure with us. I've followed you on your past journeys and this one is just as amazing, really appreciate your hard work. Lovely to put a face to your name too! Thanks. Hope you continue to have a wonderful holiday. Karin

wnycruisefam66: This is just what I need sitting here in freezing cold' date=' Buffalo, NY! Thanks so much for taking the time to post these great pictures! My DH & I hope to take a trip like this after we retire. Enjoy! [/quote']

Arriving here in the busy port of Napier and appreciate all of the continued nice comments. We had a great and interesting time in Wellington yesterday. All went well, including the super sunny and nice weather. Looks like just . . . "MORE OF THE SAME" today. Is it getting boring with this kind of weather? NO!! Schools are closed again back in Central Ohio, making these "conditions" so much better here in NZ. Tomorrow is a sea day and I hope to catch up more on posting lots more photos at that time.

Looking ahead (yes, sadly, this cruise port is getting closer to wrapping up), here is what AccuWeather is predicting for Auckland on Mon., Jan. 3: partly sunny and nice, high of 77°, low of 60°, historic average on this day of 73°, low of 60°. On Tues., Jan. 4, mostly sunny, high of 72°, low of 62°, historic average of a high of 73° and low of 60°; Wed. Jan. 5, clouding up, high of 71°, low of 61°. We can deal with those kind of weather challenges.

Through our great Travel Agent (that I cannot name here on the CC Boards), we will be doing a private tour for our group of fourteen to see, up-close, Cape Kidnappers and do a "Gannet Safari". Then, we will do lunch at "The Farm". It is a five-mile drive off of the main road to reach this luxury, rustic lodge built in 2007 atop the summit of this 6,000-acre working farm. The road winds through a dense forest, over a stream and past random encounters with goats and sheep. The ride leads to the ultimate panoramic views of Tom Doak's famed Cape Kidnappers golf course and the Pacific Ocean on the horizon. 

The lodge looks like a cluster of farm buildings from the outside, including a silo that's actually a circular sitting room called the "snug." The main section houses a casual dining room and veranda, a library and business center. A wine room and fitness center are downstairs. The 27 cottage suites are all within walking distance. 
 This five-star destination is not like most farms. It's all play -- and no work -- for guests at this luxury lodge. Head Chef Tim Pickering sources produce as locally as possible, including from its own vegetable garden. Daily menu’s are based on what is freshest and most seasonal. Dining here is limited to only those who are overnight guest at the resort. Or, those, like us, that have an "in" to be able to visit here without needing to pay the high, high over-night charges.

I will be getting lots of pictures here at these scenic location, plus hopefully a few in the art-decco city of Napier as we travel back. Am still working on answers for the mast height on the ship and the ice-topped bar repairs.

As noted below, the live/blog from my last cruise on the Solstice just went over 160,000 views. Appreciate those who have tuned into that adventure, asked questions, etc. This series of posts, still a work in progress, is now over 13,000 views.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 160,172 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Looking ahead (yes, sadly, this cruise port is getting closer to wrapping up), here is what AccuWeather is predicting for Auckland on Mon., Jan. 3: partly sunny and nice, high of 77°, low of 60°, historic average on this day of 73°, low of 60°. On Tues., Jan. 4, mostly sunny, high of 72°, low of 62°, historic average of a high of 73° and low of 60°; Wed. Jan. 5, clouding up, high of 71°, low of 61°. We can deal with those kind of weather challenges.

Think those dates should be February, otherwise I am due another birthday ( and I think the years are by going too quickly as it is )

Think those dates should be February, otherwise I am due another birthday ( and I think the years are by going too quickly as it is )

Sorry!! Yes, good eye and paying attention. Those dates are for Feb. in Auckland. Lots happening. Hard to keep it all straight. Off now to Napier and a big adventure day.

Sorry!! Yes, good eye and paying attention. Those dates are for Feb. in Auckland. Lots happening. Hard to keep it all straight. Off now to Napier and a big adventure day.

Hi Terry

We are on the Feb 3 sailing, leaving home Thursday a.m., and I just discovered your blog last night!

I have a question about getting off the ship in Akorea/Christchurch. We have a private tour, and having never sailed on Celebrity, I was hoping you could tell me how the tender system works on the ship

We are 5 couples and since I am the originator of the tour, I feel responsible for us all getting off together.

Can you let me know how it went when you were there and also the procedure? Do Elite members have priority? There are two couples with us that are, and could we go with them?

I love your descriptions and pictures and it certainly helped to get me excited about tomorrow!

Thanks

Lorraine:)

did you chose the Solstice?Have to make a choice of cruiselines and was avoiding the mass market lines.Know you ve been on luxury lines in past.So why this one?

Glad you inc.weather info, sounds like a real mix of temps and rain,sun,etc.Good to know.

Have been reading other threads and they also complain about the rough seas.

Love your blog and look forward to it .Thanks.:):)

did you chose the Solstice?Have to make a choice of cruiselines and was avoiding the mass market lines.Know you ve been on luxury lines in past.So why this one?

Glad you inc.weather info, sounds like a real mix of temps and rain,sun,etc.Good to know.

I do believe Terry did answer this but I'm not sure where in this blog.

Karen

I do believe Terry did answer this but I'm not sure where in this blog.

Karen

Yes he did - look up post #22 of this thread

Just checked into the Four Seasons and have a great view of the Opera House from the 7th Floor. Will post a picture, but must go out and see more of this great town.

Appreciate the good questions from alexandra cruiser. Yes, there are a number of options for doing Australia and New Zealand by cruise ship. Here were some of our key factors:

1. We had sailed on the Celebrity Solstice in June, 2011, in the Med, from Barcelona, doing Italy, etc. This ship has 2,850 passengers, but from our practical experience, it is so well designed that you do not (in most cases) feel that crowded. As noted at the beginning, we had done three previous cruises in Europe on smaller ships with a little higher-end style (and price tag to match). We were very well pleased with the Celebrity style, quality and service from the 2011 experience. And, most important . . . VALUE for the dollar. When you compare a basic room with Crystal without a balcony, it was much higher in cost than a Celebrity Suite with large balcony, etc.

2. Our cruise, what we are doing is fourteen days, offering a couple more stops in super scenic New Zealand than many others that only run for 12 days. Our visits both Napier and Bay of Islands. Not all cruise ships go to these locations.

3. This cruise has a stop in Hobart, Tasmania. That was important to us!! Why? We could have done a cruise option that went from Sydney to Melbourne. Nice and OK. But, we've done 22 different countries in Europe and have seen the "great cities" and wonderful museums. We sought to focus more on nature, scenic beauty, wildlife, etc. We'll skip Melbourne for later.

4. Timing? We didn't want to do this trip in November or December. Too busy with fall activities, college football, the holidays. Wanted to do this cruise a little later in January to avoid too much of a "crunch" with Aussies doing their holiday travels.

With a better pricing point through Celebrity, it made it easier to promote this cruise option to other friends and put together a "group" that got us a little added savings, plus proving the opportunity for much fun and festivities among all of us.

Do these info/background aspects help? Reactions and added questions?

Will report in on the Tasman Sea as we cross it. Hopefully, it won't be too rough.

Keep it coming with more good questions, sharing of your insights, comments, etc.

Post 22 .:D

Terry, thanks for taking time out of your holiday to let us join you on your travels.

A cruise around Australia and New Zealand had never appealed to me but I started to read this thread and I am hooked.

I cannot go for another couple of years but when I do I will read back through your comments and plan our journey.

Please keep checking this thread for a few years so that I can post questions!

Thank you

Hi Terry, I too am another 1/4/15 cruiser that's entirely thrilled with your blog and photo essay. I don't know what else to call it, but glad you're writing it. I am now attached to your thread and can monitor your info. It will help our group negotiate many of the things that plague folk that do individual tours. Thanks and keep up the great job.

Howard in not too sunny at the moment, Fort Lauderdale