Vehicle and driver to tour Da Nang

cashmeremypuppydog

Yes I do believe that the misunderstanding as to dates is probably down to language differences too. Since my last post I have received an email from Tommy with further info more to what I requested. His quote & itinerary was quite reasonable if we could get more people to join us but unfortunately at this late stage, everyone on our roll call has already made arrangements & we didn't want to try drum up other people onboard. We have now joined one of the groups via our roll call.

how hard is it to walk outside the port to pick up a tour and avoid the port fee?

We did this in December two years ago. A word of warning! We were a group of ten and we arranged to meet our driver outside the port gates. We were approached by two policemen on motorbikes who proceeded to demand a lot of money from us. They were quite intimidating and shouting a lot. When we refused to pay and started to return to the ship, they went after our driver. We did the tour but our driver was very "cagey" about it and didn't want to discuss it. Loved the trip but if I did it again I would definitely prefer to pay more and get picked up inside the port.

We did this in December two years ago. A word of warning! We were a group of ten and we arranged to meet our driver outside the port gates. We were approached by two policemen on motorbikes who proceeded to demand a lot of money from us. They were quite intimidating and shouting a lot. When we refused to pay and started to return to the ship, they went after our driver. We did the tour but our driver was very "cagey" about it and didn't want to discuss it. Loved the trip but if I did it again I would definitely prefer to pay more and get picked up inside the port.

interesting, thank you

• 11 months later...

we were in Danang/Hoi An once again in July this year, and we were very happy to see Tommy Dao and as always, use his services for transfers and tours.

He has two new vehicles since we were last in Hoi An- and can now offer a 16 seater van for large groups from tour ships.

As always, he offers an extremely professional service- he is fun, kind and extremely professional and I can highly recommend him for anyone coming into Danang Port for a great day out. Much better than booking ship's tours as you get a much more personalized service.

If you can arrange a large group, the price is much better.

https://www.facebook.com/tommydaotravel/?fref=ts

The "fee" to be paid to enable you to be picked up inside the port(s) in Vietnam is just a way of extorting monies for the port authorities tea money.

I know in Phu My it is/was $25 USD per passenger and yet it is safe and a short walk out to the port gate.

Unfortunately the port authorities from time to time, use the police or their own people to intimidate passengers and tour operators who decide not to pay the fee and make their own way to the port entrance.

I have search this matter extensively and cannot find any Government sanction or advice on paying the "fee" - other than Vietnamese tour operators advising clients they have to collect and pay it.

I can guarantee the ship organised tours do not pay this fee.