Engine Update?

JES4845

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but could you all who are "NEVER GOING ON SEA DREAM AGAIN BECAUSE OF ENGINE/COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS" just drop it! We get it already!! We are looking forward to our upcoming Caribbean trip mainly to get away from constant bickering and to enjoy a little peace and quiet. So sorry you all won't be there!!!:rolleyes:

Those of you who don't want to read any criticism of SD management, however slight, should simply skip this thread about engine/communication problems rather than telling others to stop posting about it.

And those of us who want to help SD become a better cruise line so they can attract more repeat cruisers can just use this one thread to help them do that.

That sounds like a fair bargain to me. What are you afraid of?

Am all for criticism, constructive and otherwise, and this particularlar criticism seems quite warranted, but this horse (or rather horses, kids and engines) has been beaten to a pulp and has devolved into same points over and over again by the same people and has become tiresome to some but as a free speech kind of guy, fine with me.

And at the risk of piling on, one mistake seadream management made here was when they entered the fray and posted, raised expectations they were not prepared to follow up on.

Just my opinion!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We got a reply from SD, there are no KIDS :D on board as we speak right now. Maybe I shouldn't beleive that;)

2 weeks and counting..........Michigan still buried in snowe and COLD!!!!!:(

You can pretty much believe the kids on board report, its just not the right time of year (though you may find a few college age young people on the yacht). As far as the engine reports, . . . well let's just say that IMO that engine is not going to fixed and certified for use until that ship is in a dry dock, but it really isn't needed to cruise around the VI and West Indies.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but could you all who are "NEVER GOING ON SEA DREAM AGAIN BECAUSE OF ENGINE/COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS" just drop it! We get it already!! We are looking forward to our upcoming Caribbean trip mainly to get away from constant bickering and to enjoy a little peace and quiet. So sorry you all won't be there!!!:rolleyes:

What is the name of this thread ? Engine update.

Those that are booked on SD or planning to book on SD simply want to know what the engine situation is.

If SD management wont advise us, where else can we find out and exchange information ?

I concur with the Commodore. Feel free to start a thread yourself., if you object to this one.

If anyone has up to date knowledge of the engine, please advise (feel free to join in Andreas).

Genuinely, have a great cruise.

But whilst onboard, you can find out the situation and inform the rest of us.

That really would be a valuable contribution. Thanks in advance.

We got a reply from SD, there are no KIDS :D on board as we speak right now. Maybe I shouldn't beleive that;)

2 weeks and counting..........Michigan still buried in snowe and COLD!!!!!:(

No kids is always a good thing on the little ships. Lots of Michiganders down here in AZ this winter. We have heard lots of stories from them about the very cold winter going on up there. I know you will enjoy the sun. Yes, it gets very hot here in the summer but at least we don't have to shovel it.:eek::D

What is the name of this thread ? Engine update.

Those that are booked on SD or planning to book on SD simply want to know what the engine situation is.

If SD management wont advise us, where else can we find out and exchange information ?

I concur with the Commodore. Feel free to start a thread yourself., if you object to this one.

If anyone has up to date knowledge of the engine, please advise (feel free to join in Andreas).

Genuinely, have a great cruise.

But whilst onboard, you can find out the situation and inform the rest of us.

That really would be a valuable contribution. Thanks in advance.

Again, well said. The cheerleaders seem to only want their own opinion. That sort of defeats the purpose of Cruise CRITIC.:D

Jim, I don't think anyone here is adverse to honest criticism and I don't think anyone has drunk so much Kool Aid that they can't appreciate that SD doesn't always hit the mark. It's when the same things are said over and over and over just to keep the pot stirred that it gets a bit wearing. As GoRRRdon said -- if you have new info, please post it. As Richb21 said, it's been beaten to a pulp. So I don't see any point but to wait til someone actually has new information to post. :)

Vandrefalk

Jim, I don't think anyone here is adverse to honest criticism and I don't think anyone has drunk so much Kool Aid that they can't appreciate that SD doesn't always hit the mark. It's when the same things are said over and over and over just to keep the pot stirred that it gets a bit wearing. As GoRRRdon said -- if you have new info, please post it. As Richb21 said, it's been beaten to a pulp. So I don't see any point but to wait til someone actually has new information to post. :)

Vandrefalk

This comment misses the entire point of this thread. SD management has provided absolutely no information past, present or future about the engine problem. Until they do, this thread and any other seeking information or criticising the lack of communication from SD is not only completely legitimate, but is actually helpful to SD management in terms of helping them understand what their past and future passengers would like to hear. So please keep it coming.

No, Commodore -- you've missed the point. SD is completely aware of this thread -- and whatever it is you are trying to accomplish obviously isn't working. You don't know to whom they've responded -- just not here and not to you. The point of this thread was that there is an engine problem -- with information on what it takes to work on the engine -- progress reports etc. You were the one who turned it into a thread taking SD to task for their communications failures -- which is legitimate -- but perhaps should have been a new thread, since you seem to have more issues with SD (based on your 1 cruise) than just the engine. When I check this thread, I'm hoping to get information -- not more bashing.

Vandrefalk

No, Commodore -- you've missed the point. SD is completely aware of this thread -- and whatever it is you are trying to accomplish obviously isn't working. You don't know to whom they've responded -- just not here and not to you. The point of this thread was that there is an engine problem -- with information on what it takes to work on the engine -- progress reports etc. You were the one who turned it into a thread taking SD to task for their communications failures -- which is legitimate -- but perhaps should have been a new thread, since you seem to have more issues with SD (based on your 1 cruise) than just the engine. When I check this thread, I'm hoping to get information -- not more bashing.

Vandrefalk

Read my review about my SD cruise and you won't have to make rash comments about my opinion of SD, which is very positive.

My major concern has been SD's lack of interest in communicating with people about important issues like the engine problem. But rather than just complain or ignore the issue, I have actually given examples from another cruise line of how SD might want to handle the issue. I have done this because I believe SD would be a better cruise line if they could improve their communication, and wish to encourage them to do so. It is disappointing to me that we are all left to get information on the engine repairs from crew members, SD reservation agents, etc., but not a word from SD management.

I hope someone at SD -- maybe Andreas -- will read these comments and take some positive action. If you consider this bashing, there is nothing I can do about your interpretation except to say you are wrong.

I would like to ask that no one make any more posts to this thread unless the actually have something to add about the title of the thread - info on SD I Engine problems. I pop into this thread from time to time to see how things are going and instead I find a bunch of whining and complaining about the poor communications from SeaDream. Most posts contain no actual info related to this info, just grump men (and women) trying to throw gas on the fire.

You say you are trying to help but getting a message to SD but it does seem to be working - they haven't changed their communications approach. So, if you don't like it, move on to another line - that's what's great about this industry - there are plenty to chose from. For those of us who love SD, we monitor this thread to see how one of our "babies" is doing.

I'm looking forward to our cruise in Sept on SD II in the Med, have no concerns about the engines, about the CDC reports, or about all the negative comments on this thread. It is my hope that all the whiners on this thread will move on to Seabourn, Silver Seas or another line and leave us happily cruising the Sea Dream;)

I would like to ask that no one make any more posts to this thread unless the actually have something to add about the title of the thread - info on SD I Engine problems. I pop into this thread from time to time to see how things are going and instead I find a bunch of whining and complaining about the poor communications from SeaDream. Most posts contain no actual info related to this info, just grump men (and women) trying to throw gas on the fire.

You say you are trying to help but getting a message to SD but it does seem to be working - they haven't changed their communications approach. So, if you don't like it, move on to another line - that's what's great about this industry - there are plenty to chose from. For those of us who love SD, we monitor this thread to see how one of our "babies" is doing.

I'm looking forward to our cruise in Sept on SD II in the Med, have no concerns about the engines, about the CDC reports, or about all the negative comments on this thread. It is my hope that all the whiners on this thread will move on to Seabourn, Silver Seas or another line and leave us happily cruising the Sea Dream;)

Dupontcruiser, our little group of 8 that cruised on SD1 in December have taken your advice. We just booked today on Seabourn for back-to-back cruises in the Middle East and Asia starting this October. I feel a little sad about this as we did enjoy our cruise on SD1 very much and had hoped to return with SD in 2014. However, we are not willing to take the risk until SD management comes clean on the engine issue and lets pax know exactly what is happening. As for the future, we will keep our eye on this thread as we would love to return to SD in 2015 should things begin to look more promising.

Well 5 more days and headed out from Barbados on SDI. SDI been on a break before our cruise or well it didn't have cruise listed online.

We are ready to go, weather hear sucks snow still piled up. I'll get online when aboard and give you truthful report. Sure we are going to be A-OK.

Can't wait to see the old crew and there awesome service:D.

Lots of new stops for us. 6th cruise on SDI and won't be suprised that it will be the best, never gets old on SD.

We won't have our fine tooth comb out, we will sit back and relax enjoy the service.

Catch you online next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Well 5 more days and headed out from Barbados on SDI. SDI been on a break before our cruise or well it didn't have cruise listed online.

We are ready to go, weather hear sucks snow still piled up. I'll get online when aboard and give you truthful report. Sure we are going to be A-OK.

Lots of new stops for us. 6th cruise on SDI and won't be suprised that it will be the best, never gets old on SD.

We won't have our fine tooth comb out, we will sit back and relax enjoy the service.

Looking forward to your reporting in Cabosal. Hope all is fabulous. I know you are enjoying the weather.:D

Onboard for a week and no posting? Internet must be bad again.:D

Onboard for a week and no posting? Internet must be bad again.:D

Ho hum's thinking,

- had too great a time onboard

- memory loss

- concussion

- alien abduction (again) !

WAIVER

Apologies if it is anything serious preventing posting information on an important subject especially as Transatlantic x-ing sailing date arriving in the near future.

Ho hum's thinking,

- had too great a time onboard

- memory loss

- concussion

- alien abduction (again) !

WAIVER

Apologies if it is anything serious preventing posting information on an important subject especially as Transatlantic x-ing sailing date arriving in the near future.

Alien abduction might not be far off the mark.:eek: Since passengers vow to post the truth when on board then vanish, I suspect SD I has ventured into The Bermuda Triangle and disappeared.:D

Just got home after a FABULOUS cruise, will do a review separately but it sure looked to Rick and I that both engines were working, though it's common they use just one at a time for shorter leisurely jaunts. Club Director Gareth also said fixed. That's all we know.

Just got home after a FABULOUS cruise, will do a review separately but it sure looked to Rick and I that both engines were working, though it's common they use just one at a time for shorter leisurely jaunts. Club Director Gareth also said fixed. That's all we know.

Hope what Gareth told you is correct as a good number of us are holding back on bookings until this is cleared up. The problem is credibility. On our voyage in December, I was also told by a crew member that the engine issue had been addressed and it was a complete lie. I believe others have been misled as well. What would be reassuring is to have some official communication from SD management that past issues have been fixed and now both engines on SD1 are up and running. That would give me the confidence I am looking for.