Princess TV commercial

kendon

I do see the point some of you are making...that if I have never been on a Princess cruise, I'm not sure what the Princess experience would be.

However, when I see the RCCL ads, I KNOW I don't want that experience. Their ads come across load and clear...kids, action, kids, shows, kids....

We recently saw the one with the couple ordering wine at dinner. It was either during Bones or Castle, but I can't recall which. Other people have mentioned seeing them during CSI and Law & Order. Interesting demographic they seem to have chosen... crime shows. :confused:

We record everything on DVR and usually forward past the commercials, but I stopped to watch the Princess ad. When it was over, my husband simply said, "HUH?!" I don't think these ads would get him to book Princess either, but he doesn't make those decisions anyway. ;)

I think they are meant to be very different from the "party boat" ads from Carnival and RCI. They are trying to show that cruising can be relaxing and refreshing, not a big party. Maybe they do seem a bit too mellow, but maybe that is the crowd they are trying to attract.

I find it ironic that Princess seems to be promoting an understated cruising experience that will no doubt attract a crowd that doesn't drink or gamble and at the same time they are testing a drink package that this same demographic wouldn't be interested in purchasing. It really makes you wonder if they are coming or going.

I saw the one with the sleeping child. I guess that might be appealing if you have a kid. I have not seen any other commercials for Princess.

My thought is that it is a pleasant, refreshing commercial in contrast to all the Disneyworld commercials, or the Royal Caribbean commercials that are nonstop action. This commercial shows what happens after all the hullabaloo. That is what I liked about it, as it shows you that you can relax at some point.

What I didn't like, is that if this is the only Princess commercial you see...you might think it's geared solely for families (with kids). I don't have kids and I've reached the expiration date to have them, so the commercial doesn't induce me to want to cruise with Princess. I'd like to see another commercial that would show another side of it. Per the thread, they do exist, but they must not run them as often.

I find it ironic that Princess seems to be promoting an understated cruising experience that will no doubt attract a crowd that doesn't drink or gamble and at the same time they are testing a drink package that this same demographic wouldn't be interested in purchasing. It really makes you wonder if they are coming or going.

You can be understated and gamble and/or drink at the same time...:)

I saw the one with the sleeping child. I guess that might be appealing if you have a kid. I have not seen any other commercials for Princess.

My thought is that it is a pleasant, refreshing commercial in contrast to all the Disneyworld commercials, or the Royal Caribbean commercials that are nonstop action. This commercial shows what happens after all the hullabaloo. That is what I liked about it, as it shows you that you can relax at some point.

What I didn't like, is that if this is the only Princess commercial you see...you might think it's geared solely for families (with kids). I don't have kids and I've reached the expiration date to have them, so the commercial doesn't induce me to want to cruise with Princess. I'd like to see another commercial that would show another side of it. Per the thread, they do exist, but they must not run them as often.

YouTube for the other commercials reaching couples also.

Hubby and I just saw the one with the dad carrying his daughter. We looooved it. So sweet and sentimental both of us thought. I am sure it helps that we just booked our first Princess cruise and will be cruising with our little daughter. I like the "comeback new" slogan. I want to come back refreshed from my vacations, not like I need to take another few days off of work to recuperate. Totally ok if it attracts a more mellow crowd. I don't really want my daughter amongst a big party scene anyways. :-)

I'm not sure what I think about the commercials...I'm on the fence. But one thing I know for sure is they are NOT marketing to the Royal Caribbean "WOW" crowd.

Interesting too that I've seen a couple of print ads that have featured couples walking on the outside Promenade Deck...considering the path that Royal and Regal have taken...hmmm....

I'm not sure what I think about the commercials...I'm on the fence. But one thing I know for sure is they are NOT marketing to the Royal Caribbean "WOW" crowd.

I agree. On the main "ask a question" board, the ads are getting panned as being too boring.....

Interesting too that I've seen a couple of print ads that have featured couples walking on the outside Promenade Deck...considering the path that Royal and Regal have taken...hmmm....

Two things: 1) perhaps Princess has heard the people complaining about no promenade on the Royal and 2) As I recall, Princess has many ships-in fact, most of them- that do have promenades. So, things might be looking up on future builds....One can only hope.

I caught the tail end of one and thought that it was unusual to see a cruise ad on TV. Norwegian Cruise Lines, I believe, is doing ads as well.

My thought when I saw it briefly was that since it was an irregular ad (as in not everyone wants to or is able to cruise) and they were needing customers and were reaching out to the over 40's. :confused:

Just my thought..

Classy ad though.

I caught the tail end of one and thought that it was unusual to see a cruise ad on TV. Norwegian Cruise Lines, I believe, is doing ads as well.

Carnival and RCCL have been running ads for years. Don't know how you managed to avoid them.

One of the main purposes of advertising is to get the brand name out there. For people who have never cruised before, it may give them that spark of name recogition when working with a travel agent on their first cruise. For people who have cruised before but not on Princess, it gives them another cruise line to consider. For people who have been on Princess but not for a while, it could remind them of the (hopefully) good time they had in the past on Princess and make them consider Princess again for their next cruise.

We recently saw the one with the couple ordering wine at dinner. It was either during Bones or Castle, but I can't recall which. Other people have mentioned seeing them during CSI and Law & Order. Interesting demographic they seem to have chosen... crime shows.

It's not the demographic as much as those are some of the most watched shows on TV and thus the ads are exposed to a large audience.

It's not the demographic as much as those are some of the most watched shows on TV and thus the ads are exposed to a large audience.

A lot of people watch the Super Bowl too, but I'd be really surprised if they ran one of these new ads during the Super Bowl.

A lot of people watch the Super Bowl too, but I'd be really surprised if they ran one of these new ads during the Super Bowl.

I agree. But with the cost of running even a 30 second ad during the super bowl, I am sure Princess would not spend that kind of money.

I saw two cruise ads last evening - one for RCCL and one for Princess. The time frame was between 9 & 11. Two different networks though.

Doubt you will see one during the Super Bowl. Not at 3.5 million for 30 seconds which is the published going rate this year.

As to if they will be effective only time will tell. Those of us that are loyal Princess customers won't be the proof in the pudding. There was nothing in any of the ads to put off a current customer. Will just have to see if there was enough to lure someone away from their current line of choice or how many new cruisers think it looked right for them.

Will just have to see if there was enough to lure someone away from their current line of choice or how many new cruisers think it looked right for them.

I don't think it will lure someone away from Carnival or RCI if they really like that type of cruise. I think it is more likely to convince someone who has considered cruising but thought that all cruises are like those RCI ads and didn't want that kind of cruising experience.

I don't think it will lure someone away from Carnival or RCI if they really like that type of cruise. I think it is more likely to convince someone who has considered cruising but thought that all cruises are like those RCI ads and didn't want that kind of cruising experience.

I agree. I hear my friends say that don't want all the action that a cruise puts one through. I like some action, but also relaxation. I think this series shows the other side of cruising.

I'm 64, well past the more boisterous period of my life but still active, and Princess is my favorite cruise line of the four I have sailed, however. . .

I saw the "you pick the wine" commercial. Hmm. Were people to think the actors in the commercial were dining in the MDR - you know, that uncrowded one with just a few tables for two. I found it pretentious, approaching the tickling of my gag reflex.

I'm 64, well past the more boisterous period of my life but still active, and Princess is my favorite cruise line of the four I have sailed, however. . .

I saw the "you pick the wine" commercial. Hmm. Were people to think the actors in the commercial were dining in the MDR - you know, that uncrowded one with just a few tables for two. I found it pretentious, approaching the tickling of my gag reflex.

Perhaps it was late dining or in the Crown or Sabatinis dining room. We have personally dined for two in these situations you witnessed in the commercial.

Perhaps it was late dining or in the Crown or Sabatinis dining room. We have personally dined for two in these situations you witnessed in the commercial.

You are correct and as a frequent cruiser, I know it is a specialty dining area. I am fine with MDR dining on Princess (and other lines), but my point was that it would not exactly give a newcomer an accurate image of what to expect.

Excellent point.