Cycling to the OPT

Do you think I can ride a bicycle to the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney?

Let me explain...

We embark Radiance of the Seas on Monday week. DW and I have been back on our diet trying to shed a few kilos before the cruise. While she has been diligently going to the gym nearly every morning I've been quite slack in the exercise department. So, I've decided to try and ride 314km on the exercise bike at the gym between now and embarkation, which is the distance by road from our home in Taree, NSW and the OPT.

This morning I managed 16km which I reckon isn't a bad effort considering my recent lack of exercise. This means on my virtual road trip I've made it out of town, onto the highway and I'm at the Tuncurry turnoff. I've still got 298km to go and obviously I'm going to have to up the ante if I want to make it to port on time.

That would be cheating LOL.

What a great way to motivate yourself to lose weight and improve your fitness. :)

I'd do the same but I'm only 12 km from White Bay and I have 326 days to do it in. That's only 36 metres a day LOL. :rolleyes:

Some people would have difficulty doing that!!! :(

Barry

True! I've been trying to pretend that I haven't got a lovely recumbent exercycle sitting on my lower undercover deck.

I've promised myself that the holiday period ends on Australia Day and it's time to get back into losing some weight and getting fitter. Especially since I've only got 326 days to go :eek: :D

I may have started too late. It would be good to have an extra week but that would mean an extra week to wait until we're on a cruise.

At least I'm getting back into the habit of going to the gym everyday so I might be able to continue that onboard.

I managed 21km this morning so I figure I'm past Nabiac.

If I get a chance to go back to the gym for a bit this afternoon, I'll make it to Coolongolook.

Sparky74, you've got me thinking that I could do with some exercise & so cycling a distance equivalent to the distance from my home to the port looks a great idea.

I only live around 50km from Sydney, so that shouldn't be too hard. Hang on, just remembered our next embarkation port is Seattle:eek: What's that,maybe 12,000km, divided by 218 days = ......... way too far! Next plan :D

Good luck with your trip

I don't usually go to the gym on a Sunday, a Sunday, a Sunday 'cause that's my day of rest but seeing as I didn't get there yesterday, off I went before church this morning.

Another 24 km on the bike and I'm not quite at Bulahdelah yet. With 72 km down and still 241 km to go it's no looking hopeful but I'll keep persevering. I think I should make it by the END of the cruise if not the beginning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do you think I can ride a bicycle to the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney?

Let me explain...

We embark Radiance of the Seas on Monday week. DW and I have been back on our diet trying to shed a few kilos before the cruise. While she has been diligently going to the gym nearly every morning I've been quite slack in the exercise department. So, I've decided to try and ride 314km on the exercise bike at the gym between now and embarkation, which is the distance by road from our home in Taree, NSW and the OPT.

This morning I managed 16km which I reckon isn't a bad effort considering my recent lack of exercise. This means on my virtual road trip I've made it out of town, onto the highway and I'm at the Tuncurry turnoff. I've still got 298km to go and obviously I'm going to have to up the ante if I want to make it to port on time.

Carrying the luggage could be a little difficult:p

I mad a huge effort this morning and managed 38 km over 2 sessions.

That's 110 km in total now but still 203 to go.

I can't see that happening before embarkation but I'll keep going.

When I arrived at the gym this morning it was really busy so I had to use a recumbent bike. I didn't find it at all comfortable. Fortunately, after 5 km a "normal" bike was available to switched and pedalled another 15 km and finished up with 3km on the cross trainer.

So that's 23km this morning making a total of 133km to date which puts me at Medowie Road, just North of Raymond Terrace.

I slept in a little this morning and made the mistake of having a "quick" look at the Internet. As we only had one car here overnight last night, I decided to wait for DW together up and go to the gym with her, rather than race back so she could get to the gym. Unfortunately she only does 15-20 minutes so I only managed 15km on the bike. The running total is 148km and I'm at the big round-a-bout at Heatherbrae (Southern entrance to Raymond Terrace).

I'm not even half way yet and almost feel like giving it up as a bad joke (definitely should have started a week earlier) but I will persevere. I might go back for a short session this afternoon. Tomorrow is my RDO and while I have a stack of things I'd like to get done, maybe I can put in an extended session.

Don't give up. Even if you don't manage the whole distance, you will be super-fit for your cruise. Yes, you probably started too late but it's still a great incentive to see how far you could get.

Perhaps you should allow yourself "motorway kms" ie double your actual distances when you are "travelling" along 110km roads LOL.

I'm really enjoying reading about your progress.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I accidentally did more than I planned at the gym this morning.

I started with 13.5km on the bike and then 3km on the treadmill.

Back to the bike for another 16.5km.

Then I went to refill my water bottle and planned on another 12km to make 45km in total.

That last 12km took a long time and it wasn't until I finished that I discovered that the bike had reverted back to Miles.

So I had actually cycled a total of 52km this morning! :eek:

That means I've now done 200km and I'm at Morisset.

Only another 113km to the OPT. I might just make it.