Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

It is not easy to eliminate noroviruses because they can survive in both hot and cold temperatures, and are resistant to many disinfectants. Food and drinks can become contaminated with norovirus very easily because the virus is very small, and also because it probably takes fewer than 100 norovirus particles to make a person ill.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

Edited by Tony O

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say 281 passengers have fallen ill aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

The CDC said in a statement Friday that another 22 crew members also are ill, with people reporting vomiting and diarrhea. Authorities said it's not yet clear what is causing the illness.

The CDC said health officials will board the ship on Sunday while it's docked in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Authorities said specimens are being collected and will be tested.

A total of 3,050 passengers and 1,165 crew members are aboard the Explorer of the Seas.

The CDC said Royal Caribbean officials have taken action, including increasing disinfection procedures and preparing new crew members to join the ship mid-voyage.

I can't for the life of understand why some people do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom. And of the one's that do, many just put a bit of soap on the hands and rince it off without a good washing. These people make me sick.

I can't for the life of understand why some people do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom. And of the one's that do, many just put a bit of soap on the hands and rince it off without a good washing. These people make me sick.

Quite literally they do make you sick. Hand washing is the #1 way to prevent illness and not washing is the #1 way to pass illnesses around. People who do not wash their hands are self-absorbed (or ignorant) and really don't care if they make others sick. I see it at work more than I do on a cruise though. Also, if people would keep their hands away from their faces, they wouldn't catch as many things as they do.

Edited by BND

It is not easy to eliminate noroviruses because they can survive in both hot and cold temperatures, and are resistant to many disinfectants. Food and drinks can become contaminated with norovirus very easily because the virus is very small, and also because it probably takes fewer than 100 norovirus particles to make a person ill.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

I wish there was a like icon. :D

They made alot of people sick.

We have cruised quite often on EOS. It has always been a great experience. Too bad about the passengers & crew. I was sick once (sinus infection) while on OAS and spent my cruise in our cabin.. so I do understand.. however, lots of people don't wash their hands either on ships or on land. We avoid buffets whenever possible...

I just want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread. I have truly enjoyed the exchange of views and had some good laughs as well..

Happy cruising to us all.icon6.gif

C

x2. Just off Grandeur a few weeks ago, and as happens with almost every cruise we've ever been on, I marvel at those who come use the toilet and just leave without washing their hands. Honestly, given the filthy nature of some people, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often - it's a testament to the sanitization routines (and the crew who do them) that it doesn't, really.

It's the ignorant pigs who can't be bothered to maintain basic personal hygiene that start these sorts of things. Blunt, but true.

Edited by Oshawapilot

Thanks for the article link. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

It has excellent information. Wondering if the "self serve" drink kiosks will be eliminated all together, especially the beverage/soda dispenser? Any other advice on what to do and what not to do? Scheduled for 1-31 and dreading it. Bringing Lysol spray and Clorox wipes for my cabin. Will wipe down any table or chair I use and will eat only in the dining room. I am thinking the buffet is too risky. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. So sorry for everyone onboard.

I wouldn't overreact - keep your hands obsessively clean and avoid hand to mouth/face contact and chances are you'll be fine. It's not the food you need to worry about (referencing your buffet comment), it's the tongs and other common items that are likely to be the issue more than anything, but as someone mentioned they go to a "we serve you" instead of "self serve" (as is customary) in these situations, so even that risk is reduced. Honestly, avoiding the buffet and eating in the MDR is likely equally as risky as there's no shortage of "common" items there either, many of which don't necessarilly get cleaned regularly I'd think. Menu's anyone?

The buffet could actually be the SAFER of the options if you think about it.

In the end, basically, keep yourself clean and you can reduce any risk from other ignorant sorts who weren't so careful themselves.

And apparently a lot of others (no pun intended).

Quoted again for those who apparently missed it... :rolleyes:

They combined threads about the same subject which is why that link is here now. It was originally in a thread someone else started.

They combined threads about the same subject which is why that link is here now. It was originally in a thread someone else started.

Yes, my quote above stems from a second concurrent thread which the staff has since merged into this one, so it looks a little out of place now...but basically there was 2 threads going on about this same issue despite pointers to this one. ;)

Anyhow....Wash your hands, people! :D