Border Customs

stobrien

We never take our passports off the ship in the Caribbean . I do carry a color copy when we are in port,but adults only need a photo ID and their stateroom key card to re- board. Would hate to think of losing our passports during an excursion .

Yes, you go thru security to re- board but you do not go go thru a customs check at each port. Bags will be looked in and x-rayed, your room card and I'D checked, that is it.

I cannot speak to stops made in Europe as I haven' t done those cruises in years.

We are going on our first Cruise in April, I was wondering if we have to go through Customs at each port we stop at. We always carry our passport, just wondering what to expect.

Makes a big difference in what ship and what ports your talking about. Details will help us help you.

You will go through a minimal security. ID and bag check.

It is not customs or immigration type checks.

It is a rare port that requires a passport. Most will need a photo ID.

I am not about to open the long running argument about taking a passport or leaving it in the safe. You will find this occurs often with just as many arguments for as against. Personal decision there.

We are going on our first Cruise in April, I was wondering if we have to go through Customs at each port we stop at. We always carry our passport, just wondering what to expect.

15 cruises and counting, many different ports and we have never taken our passport off and have never been asked for it either. Driver's license, room key and a credit card for my wife's shopping are all we bring.

Have a great cruise.

No need to take your Passport off-ship unless you just want to. but take a photo ID and your ships card to reboard.

From your itinerary, you will not see Customs and Immigration after you board in Ft Lauderdale until you dock at your destination in California.

We never take our passports off the ship in the Caribbean . I do carry a color copy when we are in port,but adults only need a photo ID and their stateroom key card to re- board. Would hate to think of losing our passports during an excursion .

But what about when you are left behind and are unable to alert the ship that they'd need to get your passports out of the safe and leave them behind for you to get? The copy of a passport won't get you through passport control at airports, it merely assists you to perhaps get a replacing passport a bit easier.

I agree with garycarla that this is a personal choice but I've never understood why on earth people would leave the ship to a foreign country and not have the essentials for their possibly unexpected method of return to home with them. For us, when we are abroad, the passport and at least a days worth of mandatory medications are always with us in the case of unexpected.

Are Stops are:

Cartagena, Colombia

Huatulco

Puerto Vallarta

Cabo San Lucas

We had those same stops on our Panama Canal cruise in October. We never took our passport out of the safe. We had photo id (which we never had to show) and our ship card.

We never went through any kind of security when leaving the ship and we only had to show ship card to security agent when returning to ship. Our bags were scanned by ship when we returned but that was the only 'searching' that was done.

Disembarking in each of those ports is simple and quick.

Edited by NMLady

I don't take my passport off the ship with me while in port. I do take a pic from the daily of the port agents phone number in case of an emergency and the ship number is on my room card.

The ship will know if your not onboard but if I knew I wasn't going to make it back bc of an emergency I would contact the ship. They can get your passports and leave them at the port.

I make sure I'm back onboard in plenty of time but emergencies do happen. I'd rather take the chance of leaving my passport in the safe while in port than taking it with me and have it lost or stolen.

Not trying to start "the argument" but what if you miss the ship and only have a copy of your passport? How do you get home? I ask because I would like to know not to start anything.

If you are not aboard when the ship is ready to sail, security opens your safe and gives your passport to the port agent. The port agent address and phone number is always listed in the ship newsletter for that day. It is a good idea to take that info with you if you think there is any possibility of missing the ship.

Edited to add: I was typing the same time as Godiva830. That is why the duplication of info.

Edited by NMLady

The only port we've ever taken our passports off the ship with us was St. Petersburg, where is was required. You pass through immigration there.

Otherwise, we do as others have done... we have a color photocopy of our passport which we carry with us off the ship.

... I do take a pic from the daily of the port agents phone number in case of an emergency and the ship number is on my room card. ...

Though the argument about taking or not taking a passport will continue, and the horse will continue to beaten well past his death..... the above poster added some very good advice.

For anyone that takes a phone or digital camera with them, the above idea is excellent. Awesome idea.

Thanks

On our western Caribbean cruise in 2012 we were required to show passports to access the port in Roatan. There was a VERY long line for those that did not have them.

FWIW, I always carry my passport, ship ID, and a single credit card when leaving the ship and keep a copy of my passport in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For anyone that takes a phone or digital camera with them, the above idea is excellent. Awesome idea.

What, nobody else takes the freestyle daily and the port attachment with them when leaving the ship? I'd be much more confident that those are not stolen if everything else is.. :D

Many times the ship holds your passport for the duration of the trip. The clearance officer handles this with local authorities. Make directorate a copy of it when you go ashore just in case. As well as a copy at home acessable.

Most ports have security that they check your baggage in addition to ship security.

The ship will let you know what you need in each port. Read the daily paper and listen for announcements.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

We have always had to surrender ours. The line I used to work for we took them for most cruises as well. Might depend on when the cruise goes and what the local authorities require.

I don't know about other cruise lines, this is NCL board so discussion here should be NCL specific. We have sailed on both Mediterranean and Caribbean with NCL (like you have) and have had our passports with us at all times.

We have always had to surrender ours. The line I used to work for we took them for most cruises as well. Might depend on when the cruise goes and what the local authorities require.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Based on your signature, it appears you were WORKING on most of the cruises. I can imagine that you had to take surrender yours on a Caribbean cruise. Unless you are not a U.S. Citizen?

Please clarify as we have rarely had to surrender our passports.