Live from the Royal Princess January 26 to February 2, 2014

TorontoTL

Thoroughly enjoying your review!!! We're looking forward to sailing on her in a couple of weeks. Thanks for addressing her ride. It's been interesting that most of the reviews have been discussing all the hotel hits and misses, but no one has talked about how she handles the seas. After all, she is a ship... :) Keep the reviews coming. They're great.

Loving your review - we are sailing on her on March 2nd.

How do the pools pan out - looking at pictures people have posted, I see the main pool, but also a very small "fountain pool." They don't seem to be enough for everyone. On other ships (grand class - CB and Crown) there were two similar size pools - Calypso and MUTS area.

Nice review...wish we were there with you.

What is your opinion on the following:

1. Sea Walk

2. Fountains

3. Fitness Center

4. Princess Theater

Thank you in advance...good or bad, we'd love to hear it. :)

Hi TorontoTL,

I just came across your review. I'm not sure how I missed it. I know you've been looking forward to this cruise so much. Also, per the others, I'm sorry that your friends couldn't join you.

It's so great that you are enjoying yourselves. I've been following the "Live Froms" since Dave- and the reviews just to keep myself sailing on our Royal. It seems like November is so far behind us since we sailed. I also check the webcam departures of her almost every week.

As for the bedding, my hubby ordered pillows for our bed that are about exact replicas of those on the ship. We each have two, and our heads just sink right into them. :) It's our way of trying to recreate the cabin. :D

We're all excited to read more about your cruise experience.

Lynne

So far we have been having breakfast at the IC each morning. Each of us having an egg sandwich and a pastry. Our friends were kind enough to give us each a coffee card for our birthdays so we are enjoying the cappuccinos and teas at the IC with our meals. Our lunches have so far been at Alfredo's. My partner loves the pizza, in fact, compared to what we had while in the Amalfi Coast, we have found the pizza to be as good if not better so far. Alfredo's really is now a great option for a full meal with the appetizers and desserts on the menu.

Lunch today we not at Alfredo's, instead we started at the Ocean Terrace and then moved to the IC. I had read so much about the Crab Margarita that I had decided prior to the cruise that I would have to try it. Boy, we are both very glad that we had them. They are a steal at $6 each. They are delicious and really enough for lunch. There is so much crab meat and the hit of tequila was surprisingly good, I don't usually drink any liquor but I made the exception for this. We might have to try something else at this bar on another lunch on one of our remaining sea days. Down at the IC we had our usual cappuccino and tea, this time I was able to try out the tea they didn't have last night. This tea was the açai and pomegranate black tea. I wasn't disappointed with the tea, it was lovely. However, don't put milk in it as it is acidic enough to curdle the milk! The selection of salads seem to alternate daily at the IC, no longer are the selections the same day to day. This is good or bad depending on your perspective, I my opinion, it is good.

We've been going to the gym daily, even on embarkation day. I like the gym, a lot, there is more than enough equipment, even for sea days. The equipment is all new, as expected, and some have some nice functions. For example, some of the bikes have a video screen on which you can race others, how's that for motivation.

The Piazza is so much better than any of the other ships. On other ships I have always found that getting a table and seats on a sea day at lunch was very challenging. On the Royal Princess, the amount of seating and tables greatly surpasses what the other ships have. We were very very easily able to find seats at the IC today even with a martini demonstration going on. There were many seats and tables available around us too. The ship despite sailing full, doesn't feel full especially compared to the super Grand class ships.

I was looking around the ship this afternoon and spent some time at the back of the ship. Aft of the Horizon Court is an outdoor area with tables, chairs and some sofas. It is a really nice spot to eat. I was looking at the wake of the ship and then noticed how bad the soot problem is. I would be very disappointed with any of those balconies had I booked one of the ones that I could see. They decks were definitely soot stained as were the chairs. I wouldn't want to sit on those seats or even step out there for fear of staining my clothes or shoes. I really hope Princess figures something out to significantly reduce the soot or else they'll be giving a lot of passengers partial refunds and have a lot of unhappy people on the Royal and Regal. I'm not sure if they need to adjust something with the engines or change something with the aerodynamics around the stack, but they need to do something soon.

A topic of great discussion on CC is the balcony size and in particular balcony depth on the Royal. I have spent quite a bit of time on my Marina deck balcony, one that isn't larger, but instead a very average one. I have to say that yes, it is smaller than any of our previous Caribe deck balconies by a long shot, however, it is quite adequate. We can easily sit facing directly out to sea with our legs comfortably out in front of us. We could also easily have breakfast out there together as well. I find the balcony to be just fine, yes it would be great to have another foot of depth, but no, I am fully able to enjoy it as it is.

The Vista Lounge, I like it and despite what has been said here, the chairs that swivel, which some people here have said don't move, do. Yes they appear to have little leg room, but they're not attached to the floor, you can move them back to give yourself leg room, I know, I did it tonight.

I still can't believe the ship is full, minus our friends, we are sitting in the piazza now at 9pm and we feel like we have the ship to ourselves. This ship really spreads people out and I have yet to feel any crowding.

Someone asked about the pools. I think on sea days she could use one more pool. It is a bit hard to actually swim laps at midday, but I suppose I've never really been able to do that on the other ships either. There is certainly enough space to get into a pool to cool off, but not enough space to really really swim for exercise.

Nice review...wish we were there with you.

What is your opinion on the following:

1. Sea Walk

2. Fountains

3. Fitness Center

4. Princess Theater

Thank you in advance...good or bad, we'd love to hear it. :)

I like the Seawalk, it is nice to walk and see the ocean going by under your feet and the view out that far over the ship's edge is great.

I have been at early dinner so haven't seen the fountains at night.

I like the fitness centre, lots of equipment but I miss the saunas.

The Princess Theatre is nice, not much else to say about it really.

Oh and we've had no problem getting our cabin too cold for comfort.

Enjoying your "live review" as well.

Thank you for highlighting the food that you enjoyed in the Allegro dining room on the first night. I especially enjoyed your reference to the flourless chocolate cake.

Would it be too much to ask for you to continue to highlight the menu choices that you especially enjoyed each night? The desserts too!? No one else has addressed desserts at all. I'd love to know your choice each night.

Looking forward to our March sailing.

Kathy

Today we are in St. Thomas. The seas were a bit more rough than previous nights and it took me a long time to get to sleep. This ship still seems to ride those waves more smoothly than the Grand class ships. I still cannot believe that the ship is full, the IC in the morning is never a problem finding a seat, nor are there long lines there for food or drinks.

We are in Crown Bay which usually means a walk to Emerald Beach for us. Today however, we might just get off to look around the port area and be back on before lunch. This has really been a cruise to relax. While we have been down in Fort Lauderdale we have been very busy with our condo. We just bought it last year and we still have many things to do with it. So this cruise is meant to be forced relaxation. I'm finally reading a novel, something I haven't done in quite some time and I forgot how much I enjoy reading mystery novels.

We have been missing most of the shows, although we did catch a few minutes of the "Tanned Elton John" who was ok, not my favourite impressionist I've seen on a cruise ship. Most of the entertainment we have seen has been in the Piazza or on MUTS. Mostly we have been entertaining ourselves and in general, walking around the ship and taking it all in.

The Allegro dinning room continues to be outstanding. Our servers are funny, nice and efficient. Early on I read about seriously slow service, things must have improved because service has been great every where including Allegro.

Last night I enjoyed the beef medallions with the Madeira sauce, they prepared it to perfection, rare the way I like it. They were extremely tender. For dessert I have the peanut butter and chocolate pie with Oreo cookie crust which was amazing.

Benny,

I also want to thank you for taking the time to do an objective review of this ship. All to often folks seem to go out of their way to find fault, but your review is refreshing.

We are also booked to be on the Royal in April along with your neighbors from Burlington. In October we will be on the Regal's maiden voyage from Venice to Port Everglades and hope they make the stairway changes midship as you reported.

Enjoy the rest of the voyage and safe travels home.

Thank you very much for this! I have been driving myself crazy with concern about all the bad press for Royal. We are pretty laid back but we missed our winter escape last year and I need this trip to be the break from winter we are hoping for!

Have you had chair related issues around or near the pool? I am not trying to cause a whole drama on chair hogs but hate to plain to need to be out sitting at the crack of dawn to score two seats. I like to hit an exercise class...I know they have Zumba so hoping that can be my morning wake up then breakfast before wandering outside for some sunshine.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip! Only 7 more working days...not that I am counting until we board on 2/9!

Thank you very much for this! I have been driving myself crazy with concern about all the bad press for Royal. We are pretty laid back but we missed our winter escape last year and I need this trip to be the break from winter we are hoping for!

Have you had chair related issues around or near the pool? I am not trying to cause a whole drama on chair hogs but hate to plain to need to be out sitting at the crack of dawn to score two seats. I like to hit an exercise class...I know they have Zumba so hoping that can be my morning wake up then breakfast before wandering outside for some sunshine.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip! Only 7 more working days...not that I am counting until we board on 2/9!

These pics may help to answer your questions. They really helped me.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/72157638843840634/page4/

Mom33

Thanks for those pictures.

There were wooden chaise lounges with blue pads on some sort of teak deck. Where on the ship are those hidden?

Thanks again

I believe those were on parts of the promenade (very quiet and peaceful).

I forgot to mention, I had read about the elevators and the poor way they were originally programmed. Both sets of fore and aft elevators are now programmed so when you press a button on one side, both sides are called. You no longer have to press both sides to activate the next available elevator. The only elevators I've encountered that are programmed differently are the two panoramic glass elevators in the atrium centre of the ship. To access either of them you have to press the button at each of those elevator. The other four mid ship elevators are all activated by pressing on either set of buttons near them.

I've noticed that the photography taken by the passengers that have been mounted or framed that is in the hallways of the cabin decks is organized by region. For example, the photos on our deck Marina, are mostly from Alaskan cruises. Aloha deck has South Pacific and Baja deck has Asian photos. The hallways are much nicer for having these photos and I like that the hallways are wider as well.

We got off the ship today just to walk around the port a bit, so we could say that we got off the ship. We did dock in Crown Bay but didn't go the Emerald Beach as we usually do. For lunch we went to Alfredo's again and this time I had all four appetizers along with bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. It was plenty of food and was a nice lunch. The minestrone soup was very nice and hearty and overall it was a fairly healthy lunch, except for the cured meats of course. Then I went all over the ship to take some photographs. I know that a lot of photos have been taken of the ship already, but I wanted to see if I could get some nice shots of my own. I will try to post these in a few weeks once we're back home. When we are done the cruise and staying in Fort Lauderdale, we don't have internet access easily accessible so posting them would be difficult.

I was back on the elliptical trainer for my usual workout and then down to try Gelatos for the first time. I knew that I would like the gelato there as I have always enjoyed Princess ice cream in the dining rooms. The gelato didn't disappoint and all the calories burnt off by the workout are back on in no time, funny how that happens on a cruise isn't it?

I'm not sure that Celebrations is going to be a success. Then again, I didn't think that Gelatos was going to do well and I was proven wrong by the line up there today as I waited to order. But Celebrations has little to sell really. They had chocolates galore, one teddy bear, some gift bags, some cards and then flower arrangements and corsages. Without something else to sell, it is currently never busy and is a waste of space as it is. There must be someone at Princess who can come up with a better idea for that space.

Tonight was Italian night in the dining room. I didn't love my main course, it wasn't what I expected. It was a shrimp and scallop dish with mashed potatoes, kinda like shepherd's pie. It was alright, but my partner's pot roast was way better. The tiramisu was wonderful as it always is, I never regret ordering it. Limoncello to finish everything off was just perfect. Now in the piazza is a live band playing and many couples dancing to the anniversary waltz. In the Vista lounge is Aye Ole Pub Night. David Cats is playing multiple shows of his magic act in the Princess Theatre. The ship is really smooth tonight, I guess we're protected by the Leeward islands and we're sailing at a slow speed.

Regarding the chair question, immediately at the pool can be a challenge to find chairs or loungers. If you go above the pool on the sun deck or back a bit just a bit away from the pool, there are literally dozens of empty loungers no different from any other ship I've been on.

Benny,

I also want to thank you for taking the time to do an objective review of this ship. All to often folks seem to go out of their way to find fault, but your review is refreshing.

We are also booked to be on the Royal in April along with your neighbors from Burlington. In October we will be on the Regal's maiden voyage from Venice to Port Everglades and hope they make the stairway changes midship as you reported.

Enjoy the rest of the voyage and safe travels home.

Really enjoying your in depth review and opinions. You write beautifully.

Thanks for your comments. I think as long as you don't expect the ship to be the same as the others in the fleet, you can have an awesome time. I do miss some things, but I'm having a blast anyways.

Benny,

How long of a walk is it from Crown Bay to Emerald Beach?

It is walkable from Crown Bay to Emerald beach resort - Lindberg Bay - about 20 min. with a hill involved if you go left leaving the port area through an Industrial section of STT and past the power plant -- and about 25 min if you go right and out to the main road to the airport - this way is flatter and mostly sidewalk. Both routes are a hot walk and you will be glad to jump in the water when you get there. It is less than 5 min by taxi.

:)

Benny

Your review is very refreshing! Enjoying it very much.

We have a cabin booked on the Lido deck forward.....did you happen to notice where the smoking areas are in that vicinity??

Enjoy the remainder of your cruise and Ft. Lauderdale......I'm in Kingston and we have so much snow and it's cold out there!!!