Flight Booked Through Hurtigruten - Discrepancy with Airline

BORDER REIVER

Our flights to Bergen on KLM have been booked via a travel agent & Hurtigruten. In Hurtigruten's travel information documents, it states that our checked baggage allowance is 23kg...which would suit me just fine. However, I looked an KLM's website and then checked by phoning KLM. they told me that there is also a limit on the dimensions of all baggage and if I had turned up at the airport with my current suitcase, even though it would weigh less than 23kg, it would be slightly larger than the permitted size and I would be charged an excess baggage charge.

Not sure why Hurtigruten don't mention this (I'm checking with them), but it's quite an omission of information. Unless they have a special deal with KLM for their customers.

Has anyone on here fallen foul of this yet?

I had a bit of a similar trouble during my Antarctica trip with Hurtigruten last December. Because there was too many people for their chartered flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (chartered to LAN airline), some passengers had to take a "regular" plane from Aerolas Argentinas. The cabin luggage allowance for LAN is 8kg, and this is what was stated in the travel information pack, but for AA it is only 5kg. I ended up on the regular flight on the way back from the trip, and I have all my camera gear in my cabin luggage, it was difficult enough to bring it under 8kg, but 5kg was just impossible (all the more since I wasn't notified in advance, and I was on the chartered flight on the way there so it didn't come as an issue).

"Thankfully" it was such a hectic day in Ushuaia (there were airline strikes, our flight was several hours late) and my cabin luggage was not weighted. I meant to mention this problem to the Hurtigruten rep in BA but I forgot, so your message reminds me to drop them a note about this. ;)

Let us know what they say.

I had a bit of a similar trouble during my Antarctica trip with Hurtigruten last December. Because there was too many people for their chartered flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (chartered to LAN airline), some passengers had to take a "regular" plane from Aerolas Argentinas. The cabin luggage allowance for LAN is 8kg, and this is what was stated in the travel information pack, but for AA it is only 5kg. I ended up on the regular flight on the way back from the trip, and I have all my camera gear in my cabin luggage, it was difficult enough to bring it under 8kg, but 5kg was just impossible (all the more since I wasn't notified in advance, and I was on the chartered flight on the way there so it didn't come as an issue).

"Thankfully" it was such a hectic day in Ushuaia (there were airline strikes, our flight was several hours late) and my cabin luggage was not weighted. I meant to mention this problem to the Hurtigruten rep in BA but I forgot, so your message reminds me to drop them a note about this. ;)

Let us know what they say.

I'll post their reply (if I ever get one).

I would have thought that if I had travelled with luggage within Hurtigruten's statement of allowance, if my bag was oversize, then they should foot the bill for failing to notify me in the first place. I'm not going to take that chance though because I reckon I'd lose.

I might drop in at our airport next time I pass and speak to the staff at the Air France/KLM desk, just to see if they really measure the cases.

I received a whole bunch of travel documents and vouchers yesterday, but our flight e-tickets weren't included, so I've chased up the travel agent.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hurtigruten's administration department can be shocking at times, in complete contrast to their actual product.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hurtigruten's administration department can be shocking at times, in complete contrast to their actual product.

This is honestly the first glitch I've seen in their organization in 7 travels with them.

In Norway in March 2012 we were supposed to leave the ship in Svolvaer but because of bad weather all the stops between Sortland and Bodo were cancelled. We had to exit the ship in Sortland and manage on our own to go to Svolvaer by bus (although they did provide us with the bus timetable). When I came back home I emailed them with the bus bill and they refunded it to me, and they also refunded the equivalent on one day on board (although we actually only missed about 6 hours).

As I mentioned, last December it was pretty hectic coming back from Ushuaia to BA for the people on the regular flight. As our plane was several hours late, we were offered by the airline another flight, but arriving at a different airport. Many Hurtigruten passengers took that option, but of course the transfer bus wasn't there in BA and they had to take a taxi. Hurtigruten has refunded all the taxi rides.

From my previous experience I believe they would indeed have refunded you the excess luggage fee. However, better safe than sorry, and if you can get organized to avoid an extra hassle, all the best.

A better link might be: http://www.checkmytrip.com - then you fill your details in on new trip and hey presto your e-tickets appear!

Hope that helps..

Thanks FarmersWife. I had already checked that one out and that's how I found the discrepancy.

The travel booklet sent by Hurtigruten definitely only mentions a checked baggage limit of 23kg, with no mention of dimensions restrictions. It does however give both weight and dimension limits for hand baggage.

If we hadn't had computers (I do know people who don't), we would have arrived at check-in with suitcases that were well within the weight limits given by Hurtigruten, but would have exceeded the airline dimensions limits.

My guess is that as long as my case is under the weight limit, it'll probably pass. It's only 4" (L+W+H) greater than the 62" limit & it's a very awkward shape to measure.

I'll sort it out in the end and I need to because my next case is a good deal smaller and it's proving difficult getting all the cold weather clothing in that I'll need.

Thanks for the reply.

A better link might be: http://www.checkmytrip.com - then you fill your details in on new trip and hey presto your e-tickets appear!

Hope that helps..

Thanks, I've done that but as neither of us have flown for at least 15 years, we don't know what an e-ticket looks like.

There is a section which says the e-tickets have been processed, but we have no documents that actually have e-ticket on them.

Really not happy with our travel agent, they promised that they would check all documents before sending them to us & they knew we don't know current flying procedures.

Border Retriever - our "e-tickets" just look like a schedule with our seat numbers as confirmed and our reference number, asking around I am told you take those bits of paper to the check in desk and they issue you with a Boarding Card.

So I guess they are the "e-tickets" - and I agree its not awfully obvious!

Border Retriever - our "e-tickets" just look like a schedule with our seat numbers as confirmed and our reference number, asking around I am told you take those bits of paper to the check in desk and they issue you with a Boarding Card.

So I guess they are the "e-tickets" - and I agree its not awfully obvious!

I see what you mean....and that has been confirmed as the T.A. has sent us them again as we requested & they are the same as before. Last e-tickets we got were for Cunard & they were very different.

Thanks for the help though, it's always good to have the information given from more than one source.

OK, here's the final decision as promised.

Neither KLM nor Hurtigruten replied to my e-mails, so I phoned both of them.

KLM are a nightmare to get through to, with long waits, them dropping my call once and lots of multiple button presses. Hurtigruten were easy and I was speaking to a person within 1 minute - Well Done!

KLM insist that they would strictly enforce all their baggage regulations,

Hurtigruten knew nothing about the KLM checked baggage dimensions, but were quick to check with KLM. Hurtigruten then told me that they have, to their knowledge, never had any customers charged excess by KLM and they think that airport staff will use some discretion, but they have advised that we do adhere to KLM's regulations, just to be certain of not attracting an extra charge.

So, my baggage is going to be 6kg lighter and about 10 litres less in size that I could have but I'll manage. My wife's holdall is even smaller, but her only suitcase is huge.

OK, here's the final decision as promised.

Neither KLM nor Hurtigruten replied to my e-mails, so I phoned both of them.

KLM are a nightmare to get through to, with long waits, them dropping my call once and lots of multiple button presses. Hurtigruten were easy and I was speaking to a person within 1 minute - Well Done!

KLM insist that they would strictly enforce all their baggage regulations,

Hurtigruten knew nothing about the KLM checked baggage dimensions, but were quick to check with KLM. Hurtigruten then told me that they have, to their knowledge, never had any customers charged excess by KLM and they think that airport staff will use some discretion, but they have advised that we do adhere to KLM's regulations, just to be certain of not attracting an extra charge.

So, my baggage is going to be 6kg lighter and about 10 litres less in size that I could have but I'll manage. My wife's holdall is even smaller, but her only suitcase is huge.

Hi,

I've travelled quite a lot with KLM to/from Norwegian Hurtigruten trips (self-booked) & I'm quite surprised by what you've unearthed.

I use a huge sailing wheelie bag that's much bigger than most suitcases (if not optical illusion :-)). When I checked it's 1cm less than KLM limit - although I've never seen a limit when checking previously.

What may be of value/help to you is that KLM have one of the most generous hand baggage limits (12kg) at max size allowed by law (55x35x25cm) plus one of briefcase/laptop bag/handbag etc.

I use a lightweight wheelie bag made by Berghaus that holds c 40L baggage & also usually take a laptop bag. In my experience, on intra-Europe flights, KLM routinely allow much more than this allowance to be taken aboard.

Hope this helps,

I'm sure you'll have a great voyage anyway.

Fair Winds & weather

Hi,

I've travelled quite a lot with KLM to/from Norwegian Hurtigruten trips (self-booked) & I'm quite surprised by what you've unearthed.

I use a huge sailing wheelie bag that's much bigger than most suitcases (if not optical illusion :-)). When I checked it's 1cm less than KLM limit - although I've never seen a limit when checking previously.

What may be of value/help to you is that KLM have one of the most generous hand baggage limits (12kg) at max size allowed by law (55x35x25cm) plus one of briefcase/laptop bag/handbag etc.

I use a lightweight wheelie bag made by Berghaus that holds c 40L baggage & also usually take a laptop bag. In my experience, on intra-Europe flights, KLM routinely allow much more than this allowance to be taken aboard.

Hope this helps,

I'm sure you'll have a great voyage anyway.

Fair Winds & weather

Thanks for the reply & I hope the fair winds and weather comment works out.

We've had a long think about this baggage thing and I've decided that as we're likely to be flying to some of our future cruises, It's going to be sensible to invest in something lighter for me than my current 6.5kg hard suitcase.

You gave me an idea about Berghaus and they have a wheeled 100litre holdall that's exactly the right measurements.

I've no doubt that KLM baggage staff will allow (or not check) anything that looks close to being correct, but the excess fees are too big to take a chance on.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

Thanks for the reply & I hope the fair winds and weather comment works out.

We've had a long think about this baggage thing and I've decided that as we're likely to be flying to some of our future cruises, It's going to be sensible to invest in something lighter for me than my current 6.5kg hard suitcase.

You gave me an idea about Berghaus and they have a wheeled 100litre holdall that's exactly the right measurements.

I've no doubt that KLM baggage staff will allow (or not check) anything that looks close to being correct, but the excess fees are too big to take a chance on.

Mine is a Musto Clam (bought for sailing so pretty tough & waterproof (tho' Berghaus should be ok in that regard) - may be worth a look too. Amazon entry looks pricy but maybe better elsewhere.

Richard

We use two of 'the world's lightest' and have found them to work well. I also have the carry-on version.

Argos have them (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9139068.htm), though they can be bought for less elsewhere.

Thanks, we never thought of checking Argos out. I've ended up with a Mountain Equipment 100 litre wheeled holdall. Even when full with cold weather gear such as we'll need, it still weighs just 20 kg... and it folds flatish for storage. Quite heavy at 4kg, but very tough & waterproof.

Are you just returned from Antarctic Circle voyage? If so, it looks from the Fram blog like it's been amazing.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

We're in Quito and will be in Galapagos in a couple of days time.

Antarctica was beyond awesome. We went further south than anyone else this season (68° +) and spent longer there than anyone else. An emperor penguin, 11 landings and some amazing 'cruises' in the Polarcirkle boats, plus pushing our way through solid 1 metre thick sea ice for several hours one afternoon, just added another layer or four to the experience.

Still grinning!

We're in Quito and will be in Galapagos in a couple of days time.

Antarctica was beyond awesome. We went further south than anyone else this season (68° +) and spent longer there than anyone else. An emperor penguin, 11 landings and some amazing 'cruises' in the Polarcirkle boats, plus pushing our way through solid 1 metre thick sea ice for several hours one afternoon, just added another layer or four to the experience.

Still grinning!

Galapagos should be fascinating too. In my early teens, I was given a beautifully illustrated book called "The Wonders of Life on Earth" & I remember being awestruck at the section on the Galapagos Islands. Pictures of Giant Tortoises hundreds of years old and Iguanas, along with a great text about Darwin's Theory of Evolution, had me wanting to visit, but in the 1960's, that was never going to happen. It's possible now, but something else would have to be sacrificed & at present I crave blue and white & cold.

All airlines have a physical size limitation as well as a weight limitation on checked luggage. You usually don't run into the size limitation unless you are checking something unusual.

The most common maximum size bag allowed is 62 linear (total) inches. A common size bag for checking through is: 27 x 21 x 14.

KLM's size restriction is also 62 linear according to their web site

Each suitcase may measure max. 158 cm / 62 in (l + w + h).

All airlines have a physical size limitation as well as a weight limitation on checked luggage. You usually don't run into the size limitation unless you are checking something unusual.

The most common maximum size bag allowed is 62 linear (total) inches. A common size bag for checking through is: 27 x 21 x 14.

KLM's size restriction is also 62 linear according to their web site

Each suitcase may measure max. 158 cm / 62 in (l + w + h).

That's what we discovered on KLM website. Don't know why Hurtigruten were unaware of size limits for checked luggage, although they accurately quote limits for hand baggage. Never mind, our checked luggage now conforms to KLM dimensions and will be well under weight allowance. We're each taking a 20lt rucksack for cabin baggage, well under maximum size & only about 7 kg.