Would you sail out of Houston again?

RickSue

I would definitely cruise out of Houston if they would please change the itinerary...

eclue:)

With what we went through over Thanksgiving the answer is no. As to changing the itinerary, I think they should revise to say we will take you somewhere over the course of the week. Also should leave departure date of the cruise variable to account for weather / winds. That would avoid any disappointment.

Edited by Dudleydog73

While I loved our CB cruise, and loved the shorter flight from LAX, I would not chance sailing out of either TX port unless it was spring or summer. We had good weather going out, but delayed 3 hrs coming back in. We did not miss our flight as we didn't fly out till 3pm, but still, the track record is not too good.

I happened to love the itin and chose my next cruise with two out of the three ports. Still so much I want to do, but can only do pretty much one excursion and that's the whole day.

I'm a 5th generation Texan but left years ago. Still have family in Houston area and have given tho't to visiting relatives and then taking a cruise our of Houston. Am still planning on visiting relatives, but won't consider booking a cruise out of there. FLL is best for Caribbean cruises.

I would indeed sail out of Houston or Galveston, but It is due solely to conveniemce. I agree that Houston needs to change up their itinerary a bit to include some alternating ports. I think Houston bay port is a much nicer and smoothly functioning terminal as far as embarking and debarking but there is nothing to do around the terminal.

We have sailed out of Galveston, not Houston, but we probably wouldn't do it again unless it was the deal of the century.

The reason: weather. We like to cruise in the winter for warm weather and at least two days of this cruise, maybe three, were just too cool (40-50) to enjoy being outside. I know we could hit better weather, of course, but this port just tends to be cooler than Florida ports.

I wouldn't mind doing that itinerary again, just not out of the Houston area. It's kind of a shame because we have family in the Brownsville area who we visit most years and it's not too bad a drive from there to Houston.

We would sail again out of Houston. We have relatives there- went a couple of days early- they went with us on the cruise- drove to the port, about a 45minute trip- in traffic about 15 minutes- parking was a dream (Truck was right across from the terminal) the Princess staff were very efficient- in quick moving line- on ship and in our cabin within 1 hour- Disembarking was again non-stress- sat in elite lounge until our number was called- luggage was in right area- rolled it to customs- had lots of custom officers- we left the ship- and were in the truck in under 1 hour. Easiest on and off we have had.

The trip was also a pleasure- crew was helpful and cheerful - food was good- weather was decent-( we knew it was winter)- Hope that there are different itineraries since would like to other ports-

We have sailed out of Galveston, not Houston, but we probably wouldn't do it again unless it was the deal of the century.

The reason: weather. We like to cruise in the winter for warm weather and at least two days of this cruise, maybe three, were just too cool (40-50) to enjoy being outside. I know we could hit better weather, of course, but this port just tends to be cooler than Florida ports.

I wouldn't mind doing that itinerary again, just not out of the Houston area. It's kind of a shame because we have family in the Brownsville area who we visit most years and it's not too bad a drive from there to Houston.

EXACTLY!! When I learned of this new departure location, I considered it and was unaware of the many weather hassles potential. The main reason we nixed the idea for mid-winter was the length of time coming and going when you are in cooler weather. Much prefer to sail from FLL and you are either in the Caribbean the next day, or at least in Bahamas and the weather is much more reliable.

So our decision was based in spending a lot of time in the Gulf of Mexico rather than in southern warmer waters. The weather issues just made us say THANK GOD WE PASSED.

Edited by steelers36

Just off the Caribbean Princess. We had a great time but I didn't come across anyone (except people from Texas) who would go out of Bayport (Houston) again. I know we will be sticking with FLL from now on.

Probably would not sail from Houston again, loved the itinerary though. We were on the 2nd disembarkation out of Bayport and it seems things are still not as smooth as they should be by now.(my review is under the member review section for cc)

Did a b2b over Thanksgiving and the week after. Yes, we had weather issues both at Bayport and some of our ports of call but enjoyed both weeks completely. So yes, for the right itenerary, I would definitely sail out of Houston again. Just be sure to buy travel insurance and pick your time of year carefully...

No not even if the price was right. Way too far to the airports and cab cost was outrageous. Nothing to do around there in the vicinity. Long haul in that channel with barges and ships so close to you. Port building was nice, staff friendly and welcoming, but no desire to go back.

No I would not go out of Houston. There are too many challenges that I can't see how they will be able to change. If it continues to be a problem they will not bring in any of the newer ships as they don't want to risk not filling them and the CB was just not a great ship. I have relatives in Houston but it is not enough of a draw for me to try again. Back to Florida for me. I have cruised out of New York, New Orleans, Florida, Hawaii and now Houston and nothing beats Florida.

Yes, we would cruise out of Houston again.

Next year they will be using the Emerald out of Houston. Would prefer if they went to two different routes alternating each week instead of the exact same route each week.

Just off the Caribbean Princess. We had a great time but I didn't come across anyone (except people from Texas) who would go out of Bayport (Houston) again. I know we will be sticking with FLL from now on.

Never have and never will.

No not even if the price was right. Way too far to the airports and cab cost was outrageous. Nothing to do around there in the vicinity. Long haul in that channel with barges and ships so close to you. Port building was nice, staff friendly and welcoming, but no desire to go back.

Too far to airport? You are flying to wrong airport. Hobby is next to Bayport. Watching the ships "so close to you" is half the fun

I would and will go out of Bayport again in 2015 since we can drive to the port in a reasonable amount of time. The drive is easy over interstate highways as long as we avoid rush hour traffic in Houston. This is a lot cheaper than flying to FLL.

Several things occurred that were not as we had planned. There is a Houston law regarding sales of liquor in the Houston port. The sail away was less than "party-like" which lasted for several hours. I'm not saying you have to have alcohol to have a good time, but because of the lack of venues open for service, it wasn't the happy atmosphere usually experienced during sail away. Yes, we got fogged out on our return morning so missed flight home, plus added expense of extra hotel room, meals, etc. It was much easier and cheaper to fly to Houston so that was a plus. I wish them well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app