Kahului to Lahaina

smithma89

We will be on POA and have reservations at the Old Lahaina Luau on Sunday evening in late April and are planning to drive.

We would like to see as much as we can on the north end that day. So I am curious if we should drive up the Kahekili Hwy (looks pretty winding) and around or go across to Lahaina and drive up the west side.

Suggestions for sights to see either way are welcome.

Edited by smithma89

...I am curious if we should drive up the Kahekili Hwy (looks pretty winding) and around or go across to Lahaina and drive up the west side.

The second option - go across and up the west side as far as Nakalele Blowhole and then back the same way. The Kahekili Hwy is a poor route to take and will likely void your rental car contract - and the last thing you want to do is drive it counter clockwise because that puts you at the outside (cliff) edge on the narrow (one lane in places), winding (blind curves), steep drop-off side of the road.

A few sights/places to take in: Iao Valley, Kaanapali Beach, Napili Bay, Kapalua Bay (walk the Kapalua Coastal Trail), DT Fleming Beach, Honolua Bay overlook, Nakalele Blowhole. Arrive back in Lahaina in time to wander around and see some of the historic sites there, and shopping, if you like shopping.

Edited by Susan-M

We will be on POA and have reservations at the Old Lahaina Luau on Sunday evening in late April and are planning to drive.

We would like to see as much as we can on the north end that day. So I am curious if we should drive up the Kahekili Hwy (looks pretty winding) and around or go across to Lahaina and drive up the west side.

Suggestions for sights to see either way are welcome.

Check road conditions on the northern route through Kahakuloa because they've been doing road construction. The section coming from Kahului past Kahakuloa gets very narrow with sections where only one car can pass at a time. I've driven completely around Maui & it's the narrowest road I've driven & it makes the Road to Hana look more like a freeway. ;)

I'd recommend driving the other route along the Pali highway from Kahului which takes a minimum of 45 minutes to get there. If there's an accident or brushfire it can take several hours along the 2 lane roadway.

Along this route you could visit Iao Valley, Maui Tropical Plantation & the Maui Ocean Center aquarium. Lahaina is an enjoyable walk around the historic old whaling town which at one time was the capital of the Hawaiian monarchy. Ka'anapali has nice beaches & in the Whaler's Village SC there is a small whaling museum, shops & restaurants.

Edited by Astro Flyer