How to get to the Zoo

Monalis

We are going to be in Belize Dec 17th and need a way to get 7 of us to the Belize zoo. There will be 4 adults and 3 children (3, 4, & 7). All we want is transportation to the zoo and back to the port when done, but so far all the responses I have gotten back from tour operators and what I have seen here, all include cave tubing or might as well since the price is the same.

Am I wrong for thinking $70 per adult and $60 per kid for *just* transportation to the zoo to be a bit outrageous?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the zoo? Are taxi's readily available for such a trip, and would there be any to pick us up at the zoo itself to get us back to port?

We went to the Belize zoo several years ago. There were 9 of us. We just found a company when we got off the ship. The driver told us a lot about the island. He walked with us through the zoo and was like our personal guide telling us about the animals, etc. Our family of 5 saved over $100 doing it on our own. I can't remember the price p/p but it was very reasonable--maybe $20 or $25 a person back then. Just make sure you get back to the port early enough. I can't remember how long it took but it was a long trip to the zoo. The bad thing about the zoo was the mosquitoes. They were very big and attacked us as soon as we got out of the shuttle. We had to buy insect repellent immediately. Our youngest daughter got bitten several times and I think a red ant may have bitten her at the zoo. They had some big ants. The day we got back from the cruise, our daughter went to a music camp and ended up in the hospital 5 days later with a staph infection from her knee down to her feet. They weren't sure how she got it but think it could have come from the bites in the zoo. We stick with snorkeling now when going to Belize.

• 4 weeks later...

The Belize Zoo is a wonderful place with a great story behind it. Please google it and see if it's to your liking. You'll see all the animals and plants indigenous to Central America and the animals are so well-cared for. You can book your tour through the ship and have a little time for shopping before hopping back on the tender.

Make sure you wear a long sleeved, high neck, shirt and long cotton pants and bring bug spray, at least Deet deep woods and follow the directions for using it.

We weren't bothered at all by bugs.