Limo pickup at NYC pier for diembarkation

Olstick

My wife and I are sailing out of NYC on the Gem. Could anyone tell me from your experience the best place to be picked up by my Limo driver after disembarkation. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you, Ed Dowling

If you do NCL's Express Self-Walkoff carrying your own luggage, and the ship is back in the port early/as scheduled - your pickup might be permitted to come up to level 2 to meet you outside curbside (same place you get dropped off).

Limo & drivers are treated equally like everyone else with no special privileges - if port security decided for whatever reasons that pickup are not allowed upstairs, then everyone will be directed to wait & meet across 12th Avenue on the other side, or maybe one of the side street.

The number of ships docking on the same day is usually a factor. There is no definite answer that you can count on. Limo company dispatchers and drivers accustomed to cruise terminal pickups should be fairly used to these unpredictable routines & work with you on pre-arranging the pickup spot and a backup place.

We did the self disembark for the Breakaway. All of the Limo drivers had to park across the street. (all lined up). Luckily we hired a 4x4, so ours was easier to locate.....but most of them looked the same. Lol. Many of them had the "last names" written on paper hanging in the windows. We were off the ship at 8am.

Some cruises on the Gem aren't scheduled to dock in NY until 10 am (although it's not uncommon for them to arrive earlier), so the first thing you want to do is check your itinerary for the ship's arrival time. You obviously don't want to schedule a limo pickup for 9 am if the ship doesn't dock until 10.

The rule of thumb I used to use was to schedule pickup for about an hour to 90 minutes after scheduled arrival. But if you use self disembarkation or have priority disembarkation because you're a suite passenger you can schedule an earlier pickup.

We have been picked up by limo at the pier twice since November 17. They know getting off a ship can be complicated. The first time our driver was allowed to meet us at the end of the pier, second level. Yesterday we crossed the street and met him in front of the FedEx building. Interestingly enough..........the walk across the street seemed easier than the pier. I think the drivers like us to cross the street. They can park and wait. If they meet you at the end of the pier and cannot find you, they have to make complicated u-turns as they will not be allowed to idle.

Edited by jerseyralph

On our last cruise two weeks ago we were picked up on the street level. The porter would not take us across the street, said insurance problems. He carried our luggage to one of the bus spots and we told our driver to pick us up at pole 32.:)