NYC / Brooklyn pier rental car advice

TXHardWorker

Moved this question here, at someone's suggestion....

We are taking the Royal Princess in October, but we are first flying into Niagara, and then renting a car from there and driving into the city the day of the cruise.

What is the best advice about rental car drop off? Is there a drop off there at the pier? If not, will most rental car agencies then drop you off at the pier afterwards? This is common in other ports.

OP, from Niagara Falls (US side) to Brooklyn (NYC) is about 7 hours in driving time - translate into 8 or 8.5 hours with stops for restroom & fuel (and, breakfast) - just making sure if plan to checkout at 2AM & hit the road for a 10 or 10:30 AM dropoff for your rental car at a nearby location, and then, take a short car service (taxi are harder to flag) ride to the Red Hook cruise terminal (cost around $10-14, maybe less.) This is a tiring long drive, unless you have a 2nd. driver alternating as a good portion would be in the dark & the NYS Thruway strecth is known for drivers falling asleep behind the wheels, just a word of caution.

AFAIK, local car rental places do not offer any free/comp shuttle services - unlike other ports. There is no rental car dropoff at/near the pier, sorry. Hertz has a # of in-town corporate locations, some are open till 12 noon on Saturday & closed on Sundays. Please check first & call them to confirm about any special arrangements directly.

Also, have you look into OW rental charges & availability for on your rental and dropoff?

Edited by mking8288

Well, our trip is originating from Niagara, but atmo we are planning on staying until dusk, then driving towards NYC and stopping somewhere, probably Rochester is the thought at this time. We figure getting up at 6 it should be about a 5.5-6 hour drive to get us at the pier (for initial drop off at noon), then rental car drop off, then transport for that one driver back to the pier. We might start earlier, or stay the night closer, we aren't sure yet.

Hmmmm, I was hoping it would be a little bit easier than what you've updated. I don't mind a taxi ride, but mostly I just didn't want a far distance/big traffic issue with the port/drop off.

Who we pick to rent from is somewhat factored upon closeness and convenience to the port, which was part of my asking for advice.

Our GOAL is to be there as close to noon as possible for drop-off. But, would anyone have an idea of the time it would take me to drive from the port to the rental drop off, then get transport back to the port? Since I won't have any luggage (all with the drop-offs), could I make it back in an hour?

Check & apply all of your car rental discounts and confirm your reservation & rates for the dates of your booking. Hertz has corporate locations nearby, 15 to 20 minutes thru local streets - and, yes, smart move for the driver alone to go back to the pier if there's several of you sharing the expenses - so 1 hour should be okay. Availability of cars from Enterprise from BUF to NYC might be limited from what I can see for October. HZ is showing about $500 for a Nisan Altima or equal for 4 nights w. taxes & fees, UNL miles for October, excluding gas & tolls

Coming into NYC, is that on a weekend & if weekday, allow a bit extra time due to unpredictable traffic across the GWB or via the Holland Tunnel. Listen to AM Radio 880 & 1010 news, with live traffic updates every 8 or 10 minutes on the hour, to be alerted of last minute problems - you can often pick up those strong stations 100 miles out & your co-pilot can check smartphone for NAV details.

Rochester is still a bit too far out, the furthest out would be Syracuse if it's us for getting some zzzz's & rest first - nothing fancy, HI Express/HoJo or Comfort Inn chains should be fine (do Hotwire or Priceline if bedding isn't a major concern) - that would put you at about 5 or 5.5 hours from Brooklyn depending on traffic flow, if you drive down the EZ-Pass tolled (boring) Thruway - beware of NYSP with laser enforcement, especially around Albany in their hi-perf. interceptors. Otherwise, go south on I-81 South thru Binghamton, into PA thru NJ on I-80 East toward NY (which has been our preferred route when I was living upstate NY & "in"frequently "commute" between Binghamton & Buffalo.

If you opt for I-81 South thru PA-NJ, I would suggest looking at stopping at Cortland, NY (there are a # of hotels just off the I-81) - about 175 miles or 3 hours out from the Falls; or, a little further south to Binghamton, then pull into the hotel for some rest - with another 4 hours+ and 220 miles+ to go in the morning. Unlike Texas, NYC traffic delays are a given and unpredictable, so it's always a MUST to allow extra time - depending on your ideal check-in time & final cutoff for embarkation & sailing time.

Edited by mking8288

You are getting good advice. I'd like to emphasize two points.

The prime objective is to not miss the ship. Cutoff time for checking in may be 90 minutes before sail time.

There is no comparison between Texas driving and New York driving. Understand your choices for getting through NYC. The GW Bridge, Lincoln Tunnel, and Holland Tunnel are all options for crossing into Manhattan and the traffic updates will let you know the status of all three crossings. I'd be tempted to just get on the NJ Turnpike and come through the Holland Tunnel if it is clear. Print out the directions to the Brooklyn port from the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Good feedback, and I appreciate it all.

I will admit, my planning/routing thus far has been via the use of Google Maps, which (from Rochester), has the following:

Auburn, Cortland, Binghampton, Scranton, Parsippany, across the Williamsburg bridge in: 316 miles/5.5-5.75 hours (which has varied when I've looked at it based on 'current' traffic).

As far as the rental car goes, we'll be using it for right at one day. Arriving in Buffalo about 1pm on Friday and getting the car there, then driving to see the Falls until about dusk, then on to Rochester or wherever for the night, then up on Saturday morning for the drive into NYC. PART of executing it this way (ie driving) is to see the countryside which I HOPE to be pretty. Some advice on if that is true or not would be really helpful. So that's another reason why we'd like to see as much in the daylight on Saturday as opposed to driving further on Friday night. It's all the same total driving/sleep time no matter how you look at it, all that matters is that we leave earlier enough to ensure we get there given any potential traffic. We DO have traffic here in Dallas, although not anything like NYC, so I do want to accommodate for that, but how much padding is reasonable and how much is excessive ?

With sail time at 5pm (EST) the ships we've been on have all had an hour cut-off, but even with 90 minutes that makes 3:30, and with the 1 hour 'turn-around' for a car, that makes initial drop-off at around 2:30. If we leave from Rochester at 6am, then that gives 8.5 hours for a 5.5-6 hour drive, or 2.5 hours 'padding'. Enough ???

Its not a drive I would attempt before a cruise. ...

Thank you for being to the POINT!

... With sail time at 5pm (EST) ... that makes initial drop-off at around 2:30. If we leave

from Rochester at 6am, then that gives 8.5 hours for a 5.5-6 hour drive, or 2.5 hours 'padding'. Enough ???

Technically, 2.5 hours cushion is enough, IF & only if the car rental location is OPEN. If you insist on checking in around 3 PM - one option is to dropoff at LGA (airport location) and everyone ride over to BCT with luggage using a car service - about $40 + tips.

OP, sorry about the "countryside" myth - most of your route is not known for its Fall foilage - do a Google Street (virtual) drive along at various segments & see for yourself. If you do Auburn to Cortland then Rt.81 South via Rt. 20 & Rt. 41 - keep in mind it is a 2 lanes "County Road" - one in each direction & there are speed zones. Not for running against the clock.

For me, stay on the NYST and come south on I-81 where it's 4 lanes, 2 in each direction divided - it's longer route with all services along the way (i.e. unexpected flat tire, oops - :eek: ) Traffic mostly flows along at 60+ mph or better.

BUF-ROC direct to Syracuse to Cortland (about 200 miles or 3 hrs 30 min. or another 45 minutes to Binghamton for Friday night. From Binghamton to Brooklyn, on a Saturday morning - under ideal conditions can be done in 3.5 to 4 hours with 1 quick rest stop & 1 restroom/gas refill on the New Jersey side, before coming into NYC - via 1 of 3 options.

Without EZ-Pass for tolls, cash lanes will slow you down, sometimes considerably in traffic, especially for the NJ to NY crossing (Holland or Lincoln, easily 15 to 30+ minutes on top of "normal" delays." BUT, do NOT - repeat, do NOT take the Williamsburgh Bridge (no toll) thru Manhattan into Brooklyn to the pier, you WILL get lost and/or get stuck with local bridge traffic. Google Map/Nav is good & reliable, 98% of the time but nothing is fool-proof.

With your cruise info, Hertz is showing about $150 all inclusive for a 24 hour rental, UNL miles - the 263 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn HLE is valid for accepting car return, but close at 12 noon on Saturday (same for others nearby as these aren't 24/7 airport locations but in-town ones with 1 or 2 staff.) That brings up another point - you SOMETIMES have to wait until they are finished with another customer before they can process your return. You do NOT want to just drop the keys & run out of Hertz without checking the receipt & verifying the final charges. Been a HZ renter for 30+ years, heed my advice - from the pier dropoff to going to rental dropoff, finding a gas station for the final tank top-off, finishing the return & then stepping outside (Atlantic Avenue is in downtown, easy to find a car service and/or taxi, normally) to jump in for the short 15 minutes ride back to the Pier again - allow 75 minutes, just in case.

Note - let's say you pickup your rental in BUF at 1:30 PM for 24 hour period, you will still need to be at the Brooklyn rental car return office at 12 noon, as they close afterward - and, if you are delayed ...

Been on I-81 and I-80 when 18-wheelers blocked/closed all lanes & delayed for 1+ hour till all cleared. Been on the NJ side of the tunnels for 1+ hour trying to get into NY with stalled car/accident inside the "tube" & not go anywhere. Been on the BQE for 30 minutes bumper-to-bumper coming off the Brooklyn Bridge going toward Red Hook/BCT area. If I have to plot this run for the same day run to embarkation, I would add 2.5 hours to 3 hours, just in case - under ideal weather conditions.

If it's for a day like tomorrow, all bets are off - expecting winter storm & ice in the morning, commute is going to be a mess.

Lastly, it's your own final call & do consider trip/cruise interruption insurance with your given plan, it might come in handy. NCL's Breakaway left NYC 1 hour earlier than scheduled this Sunday due to worsening weather & apparently left at least one party behind, standing on the pier.

Edited by mking8288

The Hertz 34th St location in Manhattan is open until 10pm. This is very close to the Lincoln Tunnel. I would not consider attempting to get out to LaGuardia to return a car. Come across the GW Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel and just drive down the west side, ditch the car at 34th St., and take a cab to the Brooklyn pier. Let a NY cabbie figure out the best way to get you to the pier (printed directions still required - cabbies know how to get to Brooklyn, but may not know how to get to the pier). IMO this will minimize both your travel time and the possibility of getting lost.

Fill your car in NJ. If you use the Lincoln Tunnel use the Vince Lombardi Service area on the NJ Turnpike. The turnpike gas prices are among the best in the area and usually are easy on/easy off.

I had seen a Hertz rate for a RAV4 for around $90 for the trip. I forget which drop-off point I had used, but I was just doing it to get an idea. A RAV4 is actually too small, we will be 4 adults (2 couples) and with the luggage, we'll want a bigger vehicle. So, this amount of STUFF is the reason for the plan of the drop-off.

Well, the main reason for this unusual route was to get to see Niagara. We'd discussed that the countryside would be pretty as well and would be a bonus. If that's not the case, then so be it.

We can use your info and consider our route and additionally the leave time. I don't think any of us would have an issue with leaving at 5. Well, the women might gripe about getting up, but likely they'll sleep until the pit stop.

Since the rental would originate in Buffalo, would an EZ Pass (I presume that's the NY version for tolls and bridges) be available?

I will admit, my planning/routing thus far has been via the use of Google Maps, which (from Rochester), has the following:

Auburn, Cortland, Binghampton, Scranton, Parsippany, across the Williamsburg bridge in: 316 miles/5.5-5.75 hours (which has varied when I've looked at it based on 'current' traffic).

Are you sightseeing NYC? Sitting here chuckling that Google sent you across the Williamsburg. While not a bad route on side streets (my semi trucks use it a lot and you get to see all of Greenwich village plus the gentrified Bowery) it sure isn't the easiest way into the Brooklyn port from Upstate NY.

Most rental cars have EZ pass. BUT in addition to the tolls, you pay a fee for using EZ pass. Depending on the fee and if it a daily fee or not, it is sometimes cheaper just to pay cash. Hertz out of JFK hit me with the EZ pass tolls PLUS a $8.50 PER DAY fee. Cheaper to pay the tolls in cash. But if you are paying cash, you have to MAKE SURE they turn off the transponder or you will get charged.

When you figure out where you are going to return your rental car, then we can give you a routing.

I would be very prone to go across the Tappan Zee bridge on 287/87, down the Deagan (87), across the Triboro (RFK Bridge) onto 278 (BQE) to the port.

Otherwise, if you enter from the NJ side and don't find a car drop off in Brooklyn, you are going to be going back and forth through Manhattan to get to the port, back into Manhattan to drop off the car, then back through Manhattan to get back to the port.

As for sightseeing and fall foliage, depends on how late in October you are going.

Work out your rental car first. Then we can help you with the rest.

Gina,

If the OP drops the car off in Manhattan, do you really think it makes any sense to go to Brooklyn first to drop off passengers and luggage? These folks are from Texas. I question whether driving much in New York at all is a good plan for them regardless of the route they take. A GPS in NYC may not be an asset, particularly one that routes you across the Williamsburg Bridge to Brooklyn. They are in no position to make judgments about proposed routes on the fly.

What do you think of just coming through the Lincoln Tunnel (or the GW Bridge, HH Parkway, and down 12th Ave on the west side), dropping the car at 34th and 12th, and taking a cab or car service to the pier letting an experienced NY driver negotiate the route. This should cost no more than $40 and would be money well spent when you deduct the cost of other tolls to get to Brooklyn and the cost of a cab back to the pier from a Brooklyn drop off.

I think the KISS approach is good here.

Gina,

If the OP drops the car off in Manhattan, do you really think it makes any sense to go to Brooklyn first to drop off passengers and luggage? These folks are from Texas. I question whether driving much in New York at all is a good plan for them regardless of the route they take. A GPS in NYC may not be an asset, particularly one that routes you across the Williamsburg Bridge to Brooklyn. They are in no position to make judgments about proposed routes on the fly.

What do you think of just coming through the Lincoln Tunnel (or the GW Bridge, HH Parkway, and down 12th Ave on the west side), dropping the car at 34th and 12th, and taking a cab or car service to the pier letting an experienced NY driver negotiate the route. This should cost no more than $40 and would be money well spent when you deduct the cost of other tolls to get to Brooklyn and the cost of a cab back to the pier from a Brooklyn drop off.

I think the KISS approach is good here.

Carol,

The OP wanted to drop passengers and luggage off first. BUT has no idea where he is going to get a rental or where a drop point is. So until he decides what car rental agency he is even getting a car from and where a drop point is, we can't be much help.

And driving in Manhattan for someone who has never been in the area is a darn sight more complicated than just taking all interstates direct into the port UNLESS the only drop point is in Manhattan. And then trying to get a taxi for 4 people with luggage is another time eater.

I'd almost think dropping the passengers and luggage at the port (using the Tappan Zee, Triboro and BQE to the port) and returning the car to LGA would be no more hassle than trying to drop at one of the local agencies. Most of the local, small places are franchise locations, NOT corporate. So they may or may NOT want the car, particularly in Manhattan where parking is at a premium. A lot of them aren't open convenient hours and may only have 1 or 2 people working which slows the process down considerably. And then you have to hassle all the luggage and people in Manhattan with a taxi. At least at LGA, the office is open 24 hours, there is usually a quick check in option and taxi/car service is readily available for the 20-30 minute ride to the port.

May be a few more miles driving and an extra toll but the time saving, IMHO, is well worth it. These people have absolutely NO EXTRA time for any glitches.

And forget the darn GPS in NJ/NYC. I think it was Google maps that routed them over the Williamsburg. I love the Williamsburg and coming out on Houston and being in the middle of Greenwich Village. But it definitely is not for everyone.

When he finds the car and drop point, then we can give advice for routing and other essentials. Until then, can't help.

Gina,

I agree that we need more info from the OP. It sounds like they decided to take a cruise from New York and then said "We've never seen Niagara Falls. Let's fly to Buffalo instead the day before, see the falls, and rent a car to drive to the port".

Given their time constraints, my opinion is that they need to get over dropping luggage at the pier and develop a plan that minimizes their chances of getting caught in NY traffic and maximizes their chances of making the ship.

BTW the last few times I've come down I87 to get on the GW Bridge, the whole intersection with I95 has been awful. I regretted not spending the money on the HH Pkwy toll. Has this changed at all?

Gina,

I agree that we need more info from the OP. It sounds like they decided to take a cruise from New York and then said "We've never seen Niagara Falls. Let's fly to Buffalo instead the day before, see the falls, and rent a car to drive to the port".

Given their time constraints, my opinion is that they need to get over dropping luggage at the pier and develop a plan that minimizes their chances of getting caught in NY traffic and maximizes their chances of making the ship.

BTW the last few times I've come down I87 to get on the GW Bridge, the whole intersection with I95 has been awful. I regretted not spending the money on the HH Pkwy toll. Has this changed at all?

You came all the way into NJ. It is a little better now but not much. Never ending construction on the GWB. That is why I recommend taking the Tappan Zee to the Deagan to the BQE direct to the Brooklyn port. OR to Manhattan, take the Deagan (287/87) to 95 going the OPPOSITE direction (West) and get off at HH. OR take the Deagan to the Triboro (it will always be the Triboro to me but to unconfuse the issue, it is actually the RFK Bridge) and get off on 125th crosstown

The more I think about it, with the fast check in of a rental at LGA, I would take that option for the OP. Arrange a car service to get EVERYONE and their luggage to the port in one shot from LGA. The car service fare won't be anymore than from Manhattan and would save a lot of crappy cross town traffic plus the hassle of driving in Manhattan, trying to find the small rental car offices, trying to deal with their hours, trying to get a taxi for 4 people plus luggage, etc. I really can't imagine the OP standing out on the street in Manhattan with all their luggage trying to hail a cab. Sounds like a nightmare to me.

... The prime objective is to not miss the ship. Cutoff time for checking in may be 90 minutes before sail time ...

BOLDING your point !! Their tentative plan has almost zero margins for delays within that 28 hours window in NY, stretching about 450+ miles of driving. Just mad crazy, sorry to say!

OP, read this aloud to the other 3 going on the cruise. Folks in Albany, NY & Boston, MA - 150 and 220 miles from NY ports drive in ONE day ++ ahead of sail date, just in case, with plenty of time to spare to avoid missing the sailaway. Plan is do about 325 miles of driving, almost non-stop in 6 to 7 hours, except for gas & restroom, leaving at 5 or 6 AM. Okay, I respect OP's choice - please seriously consider buying trip insurance or at least consider it, if you haven't plan on it (unless it's an almost free cruise, i.e. casino comp'd)

OP needs to check & reconfirm, the Homeland Security regs. now require cruise lines to set a 90 minutes cutoff, so that the manifest can be submitted & finalized @ T minus 60 min. Absolute drop is 3:30 PM for pier check-in & boarding for 5 PM sailaway.

... RAV4 is actually too small, we will be 4 adults (2 couples) and with the luggage, we'll want a bigger vehicle. I don't think any of us would have an issue with leaving at 5. ...would an EZ Pass (I presume that's the NY version for tolls and bridges) be available?

You might also want to add a 2nd. driver to the rental for a surcharge and alternate the driving. One-way specials are sometimes hard to book in advance, if you can - lock in a confirmed reservations that can be cancelled, and, if plans changed and/or a Fall specials become available - you can switch to it. If you go with Hertz for the car, they have the PlatePass electronic toll program, but I'm not sure if they do it at the BUF rental locations. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/productservice/index.jsp?targetPage=USplatepass.jsp&leftNavUserSelection=globNav_3_5_1&selectedRegion=United%2520States Are you a frequent renter for car rentals (Hertz Gold/Plus, etc. - it's free to join & will speed your pickup/return process)?

Otherwise, you can get the EZ-Pass at many authorized retail locations in the BUF area - and somewhat of a hassle to set it up for rental car just for a day, IMO - or, just pay cash & allow extra time.

Keep in mind - for October, it's possible for upstate NY to be hit with lake effect snow, unlikely but never know and that it's still hurricane season, so take weather into consideration. Lastly, have you considered arriving into Buffalo earlier (one extra night) and/or skipping the side trip to the Falls at all ? Please read some of the CC stories posted recently about folks missing their ships sailing out of NY due to weather ...

Regards ! ;)

Edited by mking8288

Well, the reason why questions are posted is to gleen from the experience of others. You have certainly added to the concern I already had. Not for the drive-time (I've driven much worse, and by myself, many times), but for running into uncontrollable traffic and/or weather....

SO...... Time to reconsider plan B. Which might be better anyway, but is just, different..... Currently, the ONLY thing booked is the cruise.

Plan B: Since cruise is Sat-Sat, we fly into NYC Thursday (unspecified time) so that we have at least the entire Friday to sightsee. Then the cruise. THEN we get a car and drive to Niagara, and fly back via Buffalo on Sunday.

Negatives.... LONG drive to Niagara, especially after debarking, and not sure we'd have a LOT of time to see it. But perhaps we could get a late flight the next day (if any available) and see the falls on Sunday. Flights are being booked with points, so we have much fewer options.

Thoughts on this reverse trip to Buffalo ?

Well ... You have certainly added to the concern I already had ... (I've driven much worse, and by myself, many times), but for running into uncontrollable traffic and/or weather.... SO...... Time to reconsider plan B. Which might be better anyway, but is just, different..... Currently, the ONLY thing booked is the cruise.

Flights are being booked with points, so we have much fewer options. Thoughts ... ?

Personally, definitely go with your Plan B - 250% better, IMO (but, in my line of business, we always have a plan C and even D in place for contingency & for emergencies)

As you said, you get 1 full day in NYC (and a few extra hours) vs. original plan of only passing thru NYC to board the ship. There are wide choices of hotels in all price ranges & ratings, hotwire & priceline it. With 2 days pre-cruise close to the ship/pier, cruise/trip interruption insurance is less of a "must have or else" flying on points.

Assuming that FT seating availability is open for your travel date & city pairs - flying home out of BUF instead (likely with fewer flight options ...) your odds of missing out the cruise is so much lower. Let's say you are off the ship on disembarkation day by 10 AM, book Carmel to haul all 4 of you + luggages directly in one quick trip to pickup the rental. LGA airport location is what I would strongly recommend, best choice of clean & newer vehicles. For Hertz: Gold+ dedicated fast check-in & if you have higher tier status, maybe free upgrade to a bigger SUV/minivan if they needed to move their fleet-owned vehicle to upstate anyway. Going from Brooklyn pier to LGA is easy & let them deal with any traffic (Carmel - quoting $55 + tips for a minivan, before coupon discount) Hop into the car service by 10:30, at LGA car rental by 11:15 & hit the road by 11:30 AM.

With HZ, I show a one-way rental for a Chevy Equinox or Dodge Grand Caravan at about $50 higher vs. the other direction (about $245 w. AAA discount) - so shop & check around.

Long drive: get a good night rest & sleep on the last evenning of your cruise & you will be just fine on this long drive - take a late lunch rest on your way to upstate NY - about 425 miles or 7 hours, 8 hours with a break. Leaving NY, you will save on at least one NJ-NY crossing toll ($15 cash) and even if you pay cash & get slowed down, your clock isn't as rigid. On the way up if you do the Hudson route (via I-87 North thru Albany) - Fall foilage might still be viewable and the entire run would then be on the NYS Thruway system (not my favorite routing , but it's never lost as a straight "run" to Buffalo) It's only about 1 hour or 75 miles more if you have to hit the road at 5 AM for a 6 hour drive, right - :eek:

This would put you at the Falls around dust - or, 7 to 8 PM - for a few hours plus dinner. Downside, hotel costs more on a Saturday night & you might need to be at the airport for a 7 AM early bird flight to make your connections back home. Just checkout early & drive to the airport, drop off the rental there & check-in, no taxi to deal with. If you have a flight later in the day, enjoy a Sunday brunch first and/or spend a bit more time at the Falls (just dress warmly as it gets chilly in late October, been there & done that ...)

Okay, sending you back to the drawing board to re-map your plan. All jokes aside about Google Nav, I use it too sometimes with all of its limitations - it's far less likely to steer you across the Peace Bridge into Canada on missing a turn or making the wrong turn, heading out of the NYC. On the road, its real-time traffic integration guidance is often very helpful. :p

Edited by mking8288

Excellent insight, from all, and appreciated.

For Plan A, we are staying and touring NYC for a day and a half (debarking Sat morning and a flight out of Newark late Sun night). The schedule, assuming no traffic issues, works better for this option, than the other. It seems a bit more less stressed, and more time. But, with the biggest caveat, don't miss the ship......

Maybe I will see if I can multi-city the flight, and go from DFW-LGA, with a stopover in BUF, take a couple of hours to go visit the falls and then back to Buffalo for the last leg.... If I were paying for the flight, I bet I could work it, but redeeming points may be impossible.

I'll talk with those involved about Plan B. The drive and effort to see the falls may not be worth it, cumulatively. :(

My other two cents regarding the falls.

I think they are lovely. However, if you don't go to the Canada side, you do miss out. The view is better because you can see the American falls, plus the Horseshoe falls, whereas from NY, you can only see the Horseshoe (without looking straight down). I also think that your drive by idea won't do the falls justice.